Posts by josh4trunks

frakkin64 Have you upgraded to LibreELEC 12 Beta 2? I just installed the Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD PCIe into my system and it is not creating /dev/dvb.

Maybe I could try a previous build and see if this stopped working on a specific build?

I noticed a specific movie file was causing several issued when being played back. I even got an alternative version of the file (that included DV and was posted 3 years later) and reproduced the same issues.

Here are the various symptoms I noticed.

• audio cutting out briefly, I think this is audio skipping
    • sound becoming robotic. I need to stop and restart playback for audio to sound normal again
    • occasionally playback exiting back to Kodi menu

CPU/GPU: Intel Celeron J4005
    Passthrough to AVR: Denon X3700H

File info:
    4K HDR Remux of WALL-E (2008) using TrueHD Atmos Track, around 1 hour and 17 minutes

####

I haven't noticed this on any other 4K Remux movies, so I assume this problem is specific to this movie but may affect others too. Is there anything I can do to fix this issue, either to the MKV or in Kodi/Linux?

I also found this locked thread which I think is related, but it seems people are dealing with the issue on Android. I will test if adjusting "maxpassthroughoffsyncduration" makes any difference.
    Audio Passthrough IEC - TrueHD fix/workaround - Testing build

Thank you!

EDIT: Infected kodi.log deleted by moderator.

Thanks to the developers for this OS! I've been using OE/LE since 2011, and now can finally say I have an endgame system for my family's use case.
    83" OLED with HDR, 5.1.4 in-wall/ceiling surround sound, dual DIY subwoofers, all controlled with a simple RF (OSMC) remote through CEC (Pulse-Eight Adapter).

So I did have a few minor issues I still wanted to tackle.

1. For my OSMC remote, on the homepage I have the home button activate the shutdown menu. Is there a way to have this always focus on the "Suspend" option? I tried ActivateWindowAndFocus(shutdownmenu,9000,2,9000,0) but it is not working as expected. I tried reading through the Estuary Skin DialogButtons.xml, but can't figure out which IDs I need where.

2. When my LE system suspends it usually shuts down my Receiver and TV using CEC, but maybe half the time it doesn't. And I think those times, when I wake the system it send the CEC command then. So I am thinking there is a race condition, sometimes LE suspends itself before the CEC adapter can send out the command. Adding a 'sleep 3' to a sleep.d script fixes this issue, but maybe there is a more elegant solution to this problem?
    I could do a while loop in the sleep.d script, or maybe LE or Kodi can change suspend logic to wait until CEC jobs are completed?

Do you have a CEC capable LE system? Like Raspberry Pi or USB CEC adapter?

Another thing I just did to fix wake issues on my system was "getedid create". This stores EDID info, so your LE system knows what it's connected to even if they are still waking up.
    https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/edid

BTW, thanks to the LE developers for the "getdid" command. I remember years ago doing this manually, and now it's so much simpler!

Beware using 'DolbyVision' as a catch-all. There are lots of different variants of DV...

Some are based around YCbCr (aka YUV) PQ HDR10 or HLG 10-bit HEVC/h.265 and then Dolby Vision RPU metadata (and in some cases also an expansion layer to get from 10-bit to 12-bit depth. These can usually be replayed with no Dolby Vision licensing requirement for the HDR10/HLG stuff. Examples of this type of DV sources are Dolby Vision UHD Blu-rays and DV video shot on iPhones.

Other DV stuff is encoded purely in a DolbyVision video format using ICtCp representation and PQ instead of YCbCr/YUV - though still encoded in 10-bit HEVC/h.265. When these are replayed by non-Dolby Vision licensed devices they replay with magenta/green colours instead of normal colours, because they are interpreted as YCbCr when they aren't. This format is widely used for streaming platforms - where the streaming player can request a specific encode that it can play (rather than a single encode needing to be playable by multiple devices). The CoreElec DV implementation can play these OK, few other devices can.

Ok, that makes alot of sense. I thought all DV files were unplayable (in regular colors), but now I see that some files labeled DV seem to play with at least HDR10 working!

It has to be conform to Dolby licensing conditions. If you find a legal hack, let us know.

I don't think I would be very helpful, but I'll keep an eye out where I can help, lol. I do remember when I first started using in Linux in 2009 I had to use a Windows wireless driver using "ndiswrapper" to get WiFi working. So maybe that could be the state of things one day. If Dolby gets a little too loose with their driver signing and makes something that works on all Intel/AMD GPUs, we could get to a similar point. Though, that might still require users to provide their own input cause I doubt LE would/could include these blobs in their builds. But ideally, I just hope for more open standards to gain acceptance over closed ones.

Sorry for the double post. My posts need to be manually approved, so I can't edit the last one (#23).

From reading a bit on the CE forum, it seems like the key to CE with specific hardware decoding DV is a proprietary driver blob. They are reusing the same blob that Dolby provided to android manufacturers for that specific SoC.

So I understand why DV doesn't work except in very specific hardware chains. I'm guessing that some hardware could do handle the decoding, but without the necessary drivers from Dolby it won't be possible. I know on some specific windows laptops, with specific video players, DV does work, but again that is because of Dolby's blessing.

I wonder if any of this could be hacked in the future, to create the necessary drivers. Or hopefully we just move past DV, and get an open implementation that doesn't cause this mess.

Thanks for the confirmation. These proprietary formats are just annoying, only reason I care is some movies seem to only be available in 1080p or DV, no regular HDR10. I remember when distributing "lame" to handle mp3's required users to read some license and the headache that caused working with it.

Im kinda set on sticking with x86; it sucks that I may be locked out of watching some movies in HDR quality but I have a feeling there will eventually be a solution.

Out of curiosity, how is CoreELEC on a Banana Pi properly handling DV? Did CoreELEC pay for some licensing to handle DV files in software?

No DV with LE. Might be possible using Android or CE depending on hardware.

Ok, I'd rather stick with x86 so I guess CoreELEC is not an option for me.

No DV with UHD Graphics 600.

Ok, I wonder if any of the newer integrated intel graphics support DV. My LE runs in a rackmounted case, so I could always update the motherboard if necessary. Will do some searching on that.
    But it sounds like even if the GPU and display support DV, LE12 still won't be able to properly play it?

Thanks!

I just got a 4K HDR capable TV and upgraded to Libreelec 12. HDR is working great, but I am still getting weird colors on Dolby Vision files.

• CPU = Intel Celeron J4005
    • GPU = UHD Graphics 600
    • (From System info in LibreELEC) Display Supported HDR types = HDR10, HLG

Is it possible to fix this for Linux on x86, or is this not possible because of licensing? I thought Kodi 21 was including ffmpeg that could decode Dolby Vision, but maybe this is only on hardware with proper licensing?

Thanks!

Nah the thing is, I know a bit more now, it's a linux thing - linux needs some work before HDR is ok - it's a little way away, then Kodi has to add it.

I'd be surprised if we had HDR in less than 18 months from now. After then, maybe a good chance?

By then, a new, low power NUC might be out with HDMI 2.1 too, so win win.

Gotta go without I guess.

smp has an experimental build here with HDR working.

Intel true 10bits/HEVC/HDR support... ?

I would try it out, but don't have a 4K HDR TV, still rocking a Panasonic Plasma I got in 2012, lol. But will probably update eventually

I did some reading which seemed to indicate that the system only has HDMI 1.4 or something along those lines, indicating it's just not the best way to get this all working.

Considering a $35 Pi 4 will do x265, HDR, 10bit (soon as some drivers work) - it'll be a pretty good option, I believe it supports HDMI 2.0B

According to this post "Gemini Lake has native internal HDMI 2.0 controller".

Intel Gemini Lake