Intel NUC Gemini Lake (NUC7CJYH) - HTPC

• I'm surprised by the link. So, is it correct to say that if a NUC video output is HDMI 2.0a, it does not necessarily mean it supports HDR? Why Gemini Lake can't get it? I always thought HDMI 2.0a means it can support HDR. Minix NEO U9-H outputs HDMI 2.0.

This is all about if the hardware can support it. The OS and software is not important, I can wait. I want to know if I buy an Intel NUC today, I will be able in a near future to play all things that Minix NEO U9-H can.

I want HDR and H265 10bit hardware acceleration, auto resolution switching in Intel NUC hardware.

• You can have that if you buy a kaby lake NUC or a Coffee Lake (when they are out). For me it reads that Intel decided that we dont get HDR in a Atom NUC.

HDMI2.0a is needed for HDR, but that does not mean it is also the other way around.

At the moment you can selekt any Kaby Lake NUC like Box. But be carefull there are some out there without HDMI 2.0. Than you need at least a DisplayPort 1.2 and a Adapter like Club 3D CAC-1070.

And also you end up all the time with a LSPCon like the Club 3D CAC-1070 or a on board LSPCon as in the Intel NUCs with Kaby Lake and HDMI 2.0a. The only native Intel HDMI 2.0 GPU so far is the Gemini Lake and that one does not HDR. For LSPCon to work you need the lastest Firmware in the LSPCon and a linux kernel 4.14 or later. Yes these active adapter or the on board LSPCons have a firmware and it is only updateble with windows (so far).

Hardware that has the capability with DP 1.2 + active Adapter or HDMI 2.0a on board:

ASRock BeeBox with any Core i3/i5/i7 with a number of 7000 or 8000 (but look for 4k@60Hz)

Intel NUC7I3DNKE / NUC7I5DNKE with 2x HDMI2.0a

MSI Cubi 3 Silent with any Core i3/i5/i7 with a number of 7000 or 8000 (but look for 4k@60Hz)

I use a

Streacom FC8 Evo + MH1 Heat Pipes

ASRock B360M itx (on board HDMI 1.4a, DP 1.2)

Intel i3-8100

Club 3D CAC-1070

I am looking nearly a year for the right hardware. But i had one more chanllange. My AVR is not capable of 4k, so i need a HDMI 1.4 for audio connected to the AVR and a HDMI 2.0a to the TV. I did send 4 boxes back to amazon because of my complicated setup.

• Thank you for the information.

I also have one bizarre necessity. I have an OLED LG and it has a major flaw. The optical TV output has audio drops when it is playing from Kodi. So, for not having audio drops I have to connect the audio directly from the Kodi box to the optical in of my soundbar. That's how I use my Minix NEO U9-H and why it's a necessity.

Kaby Lake NUC has no audio optical out?

Edited 2 times, last by Zodler (May 5, 2018 at 6:39 PM).

• Hey folks,

Just wondering if anyone else got a NUC7C/P in the meantime and is also seeing the IR disconnection issues I mentioned in my previous post

Heya,
    I experienced the same issue; after a while the IR stops responding to any command my harmony sends.
    As a work around I plugged in a FLIRC(gen2) for Kodi navigation and only use the NUC's IR for the 'Power On' functionality (from complete powered off state). And I need to remap a button so that the FLIRC can power down the NUC.
    NUC7C, Ubuntu 18.04

• Heya,
    I experienced the same issue; after a while the IR stops responding to any command my harmony sends.
    As a work around I plugged in a FLIRC(gen2) for Kodi navigation and only use the NUC's IR for the 'Power On' functionality (from complete powered off state). And I need to remap a button so that the FLIRC can power down the NUC.
    NUC7C, Ubuntu 18.04

Thanks for the feedback. User keoma pointed out yesterday over at Kodi forums that downgrading the BIOS to 0027 solved the CIR issue on the NUC7PJYH. I have confirmed that solution (workaround, rather) today for the NUC7CJYH. Will update my initial post accordingly.

• I have an Intel NUC7PJYH and can't get the installer of LibreELEC to work. It stays stuck on the screen "Wait for installer to start or press [TAB] to switch options (live, run)..." System stops responding.

I upgraded to the 0047 BIOS. It seems all trouble have started when the Legacy Boot option is removed from the BIOS since 0042, and surprisingly it is also not possible to downgrade the BIOS to a version lower than the one where this option was removed.

I tried several BIOS settings (enable or disable Secure Boot), and with my USB stick is nothing wrong because other systems (Zotac and my main PC) succesfully can start the installer.

Can someone help me? At this moment the NUC is just a brick in my desk...

• I did some reading which seemed to indicate that the system only has HDMI 1.4 or something along those lines, indicating it's just not the best way to get this all working.

Considering a $35 Pi 4 will do x265, HDR, 10bit (soon as some drivers work) - it'll be a pretty good option, I believe it supports HDMI 2.0B

• I did some reading which seemed to indicate that the system only has HDMI 1.4 or something along those lines, indicating it's just not the best way to get this all working.

Considering a $35 Pi 4 will do x265, HDR, 10bit (soon as some drivers work) - it'll be a pretty good option, I believe it supports HDMI 2.0B

According to this post "Gemini Lake has native internal HDMI 2.0 controller".

Intel Gemini Lake