LibreELEC support for Raspberry Pi 5

• I wonder if you can test a SW playback of an AV1 10bit media as well Link

That file seems to be an 8bit one and it was a bit short.

Testing showed roughly 40% CPU load and playback seemed smooth.

so long,

Hias

• Is for test purposes only and I will delete it after is done.

https://mega.nz/file/EogjmIRD#…6euyM9vpLMM-LZc

RPi5 was bored with that. Roughly 20% CPU load (15-30%, most of the time around 20%)

so long,

Hias

• Thank you so much HiassofT.

I ordered an 8GB one earlier today.

Although I'd second those who said that it is underwhelming, to say the least, that in 2023 RPi 5 to be released without AV1 hardware decoding support. Since most of my media is 1080p it will do to replace my Rpi3B+ from 2017 to run LibreELEC.

Well, Eben Upton already has a selling point to an RPI refresh next year (Now with AV1 Hardware decoding)

• I think their algorithm detects Kodi and assumes piracy. I've appealed it.

Chook from Australia here. I was blocked by youtube when using an Australian IP address. I used a VPN to redirect to the UK and the video worked fine. So its GeoBlocked.

• I just received my RPI4 on Friday, to find out that there's now an RPi5 on the way. ;(

No worries, the RPi4 is still an excellent device. And as it draws less power than the RPi5 it's also easier to put it in a passively cooled case.

I can't comment on cooling requirements yet as I neither have the official active cooler nor the official active cooled case here (and OFC third-party cases or heatsinks are yet to come) but I'd guess it'd overheat (and throttle) quickly if you'd just put it into a simple plastic case without a fan.

Personally I'm a huge fan of passively, fanless, cooled systems as there are no mechanic parts that will make noise or wear out sooner or later. For RPi4 there are various proven cooling cases/heatsinks (I like the "armor case" a lot, some others prefer the Flirc case) and we'll yet have to see what will come (and work) for the RPi5.

so long,

Hias

• Oh man,

I just received my RPI4 on Friday, to find out that there's now an RPi5 on the way. ;(

Another element of the fiasco that is Raspberry Pi these days. So many other SBCs on the market these days at more competitive prices but the RPI cheerleaders who buy into the whole deal will keep pushing the agenda for others to buy the latest model on offer.

You’ve got an RPI4 now that in fairness has been heavily tested by its user base so just enjoy it. We’ve had one reported testing of the RPI5 here and they do say one swallow does not make a summer.

• For me personally: I never turn the family daily-driver Pi off/on so the power button is irrelevant and while PCIe HATs will probably allow SSD boot in the near-term (which would be nice) I also like the passive-cooling flirc case which won't allow HATs to fit inside so I'll probably test it when someone ships a sample, and then continue to boot with an SD card. All the other hardware IO improvements are aimed at use-cases I don't have with LE; so apart from being able to handle some 4K content on YouTube the RPi5 is (for me) really just a faster RPi4 board. If you update from an older RPi2/RPi3 board you're still going to be happy with an RPi4 as it's a huge speed bump and improvement on them. Just don't let anyone show you an RPi5 for a while :S

• The power button will maybe be good for safely rebooting when LibreElec/Kodi freezes (?). Maybe you can hold the button for 5s and it will trigger a reboot.