LE 10.0.1 / Rpi4 / No picture after update from LE 10.0.0

• HiassofT thanks for an idea. The result = the same issue as LE10.0.1, no CLI after edit.

Steps to replicate:

• fresh 2021-05-07-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.zip installation
    • CLI with login reached
    • sudo update
    • sudo full-upgrade
    • sudo rpi-update
    • reboot
    • CLI and login reached
    • card removed and config.txt modified from dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d to dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
    • card inserted back, booting with 4 raspberries appeared, then it goes to black screen
    • on TV selected HDMI1 and then HDMI3 back -> CLI and login reached

See the outputs in the attachment

EDIT: attachment fixed

Thanks for this. I had issues on my v9 of LibreELEC and had similar issues on 10.0.0.2 when connecting to my TV and the device restarting or not showing a picture. I went through these steps and my Phase 2 screen wasnt showing the correct resolution after changing it here. It was still stuck on that screen and only worked when I changed my TV to a different HDMI port and then went back to it after it started.

To make this work for me I did everything you did but changed the following from 1 to 0 in "/flash/distroconfig.txt". This also fixed my sound issue where the flipping HDMI to get it to load up still didnt allow sound to come through.

Code
    disable_fw_kms_setup=0

And I used the following:

Code
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=39
  • If you don't want to return the broken case you should be able to work around the issue by adding video=HDMI-A-1:D to cmdline.txt (after "quiet", on the same line) or runing getedid create with the TV connected directly to the RPi on HDMI0.

so long,

Hias

Hi HiassofT

I had a similar problem im not sure whats happening and why its only happening on certain tvs.

I had the same issue. A fresh install of 10.0.2 LibreElec would extract reboot to the rainbow flash screen then I would just get a black screen..

I could login via ssh but had no joy with getting the edid data via

getedid create

At this time.

To fix the issue for me I had to set a lower resolution by adding

video=HDMI-A-1:1280x720M@60D

to the end of the cmdline.txt file

("video=HDMI-A-1:D" didn't work in my case).

The after rebooting I could then log back in via ssh and get the edit data from my TV using

getedid create

It seems that I was only able to get the edid data from the TV after I had a display.

Philips 4kTV, no case original Rpi4 hdmi lead.

• I've had this problem with both 10.0.1 and 10.0.2 on my older Samsung TV. I'm happy to report that with the latest update (10.0.3) the problem seems to be resolved (at least with my TV, a Samsung LN-46A550P3).

• The issue still exists. After updating (10.0.3) and rebooting, I have no image. No signal. I have to go back to version 10.0.0 again.

Samsung UE55M5572, RPi4B 4GB, HDMI... (first on the left), normal case.

Edited 2 times, last by drrak (November 19, 2022 at 6:07 PM).

• The issue still exists. After updating (10.0.3) and rebooting, I have no image. No signal. I have to go back to version 10.0.0 again.

Samsung UE55M5572, RPi4B 4GB, HDMI... (first on the left), normal case.

same here, LG tv, have to revert back to 10.0.0 again.

• same here, LG tv, have to revert back to 10.0.0 again.

I had the same problem with a LG 50" plasma tv and a Pi 4 2GB, solved it by connecting it to a Sony 40" LED, i had no problems att all using same install and same cables, so its tv related probably.

• I had the same problem with a LG 50" plasma tv and a Pi 4 2GB, solved it by connecting it to a Sony 40" LED, i had no problems att all using same install and same cables, so its tv related probably.

We have several Pi4b's with 2GB in the house and only LG tv's. I really hope the devs get this sorted out because I haven't been able to use any builds since 10.0 as they all produce black screens. I tried many things but I can't get any debug info for some reason even via SSH.

• Could you connect through ssh? What commands did you try running and how did they fail?

Sorry I don't remember. It's been months already. I know it's not helpful at all. But have you or any other developers already tried to reproduce this problem by connecting a Pi4b 2GB model to a LG TV? Because that does seem to be a pattern in this topic. It doesn't matter if it's a new installation or an upgrade. The screen stays black either way.

• AFAIK no developer has been able to reproduce the issue - it seems to be limited to a few specific older models - and without being able to reproduce the issue it's next to impossible to fix it.

Personally I tested with my LG 55C8 OLED and my parents' old LG 32LH7000 TV - and both work just fine.

so long,

Hias

• AFAIK no developer has been able to reproduce the issue - it seems to be limited to a few specific older models - and without being able to reproduce the issue it's next to impossible to fix it.

Personally I tested with my LG 55C8 OLED and my parents' old LG 32LH7000 TV - and both work just fine.

so long,

Hias

I'd be willing to ship one over. It's just that I'm in Asia and all Pi's are in a flirc case. That could make shipment rather expensive. But I'll flash the latest nightly build just to see what happens and then try to get some debug info again. I'll keep you posted.

• What I meant is that the issue is specific to a couple of older TV models, not RPi models - which makes shipping even more problematic :)

so long,

Hias

Really? How old? Because here it doesn't work on a 2 year old LG LCD TV.

*edit*

1 TV here is an LG 60UK6200 which we bought in 2019 so it's 3 years old not 2 as I mentioned. It's a low budget smart TV with webOS. According to the pricewatch of Dutch website tweakers.net the model entered the market in February 2019:

LG 60UK6200PLA Zwart kopen? - Prijzen - Tweakers

Another LG TV is several years older. Not sure how old because it came with the place we rent. It's not a smart TV (no webOS) and it has the same issue as our smart LG.

The manual of the smart TV here mentions a whole list of models so they might all cause the same issue. See attachment for screenshot of that list.

• Thanks, this is interesting and useful information - this thread has become a bit convoluted, but most issues seemed to affect older (Samsung) models.

Could you please test with the latest LE11 nightly build from here https://test.libreelec.tv/11.0/RPi/RPi4/…/11.0/RPi/RPi4/ ´(currently 20221215, scroll down to the end of the page) and if doesn't work test if the workaround of setting a different mode in config.txt works?

Add the following to the end of config.txt

Code
    hdmi_group=1
    hdmi_mode=20

Also test (without those config.txt changes) if unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable gives you working video output, if yes set the display resolution in kodi to something different than standard (eg 1920x1080 at 50 Hz instead of 1920x1080 at 60 Hz) and report back if that works, too.

Anyways, we'd need logs (with debugging enabled in kodi) of all working and non-working cases.

so long,

Hias

• hi,

I think, I have got the same hdmi-output-problem - got an old monitor and since updating to libreelec 10, I get no signal on my monitor. with libreelec 9 evrything worked fine. I hope, I understood the discussion in this thread right, and so I tested the newest versions of libreelec 11 nightly build from the test.libreelec.tv website. I now testet libreelec 11 without and with adding hdmi_group=1 und hdmi_mode=20 at the end of config.txt. the logs are at http://ix.io/4jY1 without and http://ix.io/4jY5 with the config.txt changes. I still got no picture on my monitor!

maybe this post is helpful for solving these problems! if not, I may remain on libeelec 9.

best regards Michael Suhl

• It took a few days because I kept forgetting to buy an extra SD card for testing purposes. 🙄

I tested the latest LE11 nightly build. At first the screen stayed black after the rainbow splash screen. Switching hdmi ports with the remote helped though. Changing the default video settings to 1080p 50Hz did not fix the black screen.

Then I added the config.txt workaround and that made it work. Now there's an image (including the kodi boot logo) without having to select another hdmi port.

I also added the config.txt lines to the SD card with existing LE10 setup. After reboot Kodi still booted fine. Then I copied the latest LE10 nightly to the upgrade folder to upgrade the installation. After the upgrade process the hdmi output kept working just like with the LE11 nightly.

Thanks for the workaround!

I can still upload debug info with and without workaround. Now I have that spare SD card it's much easier to switch. This would be debug info with LE11.

• I enabled debugging in Kodi and then did two pastekodi's. First with config.txt fix (HDMI output works from cold boot) and second without workaround (no HDMI output from cold boot or after unplugging/replugging HDMI cable, fixed by selecting HDMI 2 port on the TV and then back to port 1):

With config.txt fix : http://ix.io/4kqo
    Without config.txt fix : http://ix.io/4kqq

This is with LE11 nightly and on the old LG 'dumb' TV.