LE 10.0.1 / Rpi4 / No picture after update from LE 10.0.0

• HiassofT you are right that I have changed the resolution to 1360x768 afterward I reached the GUI. It was a test if the resolution was saved and known after the reboot.

LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0-devel-20211107115829-035c5c6.tar uploaded directly to the .update folder on the card. Then inserted and RPi4B turned on. Again the rainbow cube appeared, then black screen (TV doesn't appear "No signal" as always), on the TV I selected HDMI1 and back to HDMI3 and seen the extracting process with LibreELEC logo. Still the same issue.

Output with drm.debug=0x04:

Output with drm.debug=0x04 video=HDMI-A-1:1360x768M@60D after reboot:

• yullaw thanks a lot for the logs, still not sure why you don't get a picture, everything looks fine to me..

Can you test if you can reproduce it on RPiOS lite (without GUI) and the latest rpi-update kernel and vc4-kms-v3d dtoverlay enabled in config.txt? That combination should be rather close to LE10.0.1 and if it has that issue too it'll be easier to test with older kernels than on LE.

so long,

Hias

• HiassofT thanks for an idea. The result = the same issue as LE10.0.1, no CLI after edit.

Steps to replicate:

• fresh 2021-05-07-raspios-buster-armhf-lite.zip installation
    • CLI with login reached
    • sudo update
    • sudo full-upgrade
    • sudo rpi-update
    • reboot
    • CLI and login reached
    • card removed and config.txt modified from dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d to dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
    • card inserted back, booting with 4 raspberries appeared, then it goes to black screen
    • on TV selected HDMI1 and then HDMI3 back -> CLI and login reached

See the outputs in the attachment

EDIT: attachment fixed

• yullaw thanks for testing, this is great you can reproduce it on RPiOS, too!

Can you bisect through the rpi-update kernel/frmware changes and try to find out when it started?

LE10.0.0 is (roughly) using the Aug 5 rpi-update firmware https://github.com/raspberrypi/rp…d9f6998fe484c97

First run "sudo rpi-update

2073a27299fc17cf93152e9c8d9f6998fe484c97", reboot and check if this is fine (it should be, but better double check).

If that is OK check with a firmware from about mid September. If that was OK try one between mid September and today, if it was bad try one beween Aug 5 and mid September etc. Just run rpi-update with the githash of the firmware commits from here: https://github.com/raspberrypi/rpi-firmware/commits/master

so long,

Hias

• Update: It seems i fixed my issue!

I updated to LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-11.0-nightly-20211117-df8716a but mostly every reboot i got no signal (blue screen) or bootloop to LibreElec logo (after some loops it hangs at the logo screen; older Samsung FullHD TV & Sony Bravia 4k Android TV 2021er model). If it start sometimes successful to Kodi i see the LibreElec logo then Kodi.

So what i did after searching and found something here in the forum:

I grabbed the edid from my Onkyo TX-NR575E AV receiver:

Code
    mkdir -p /storage/.config/firmware/edid
    cat /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid > /storage/.config/firmware/edid/onkyo-txnr575e.bin

Then added to cmdline.txt after "quiet":

drm.edid_firmware=HDMI-A-1:edid/onkyo-txnr575e.bin

I did 10 reboots and always i see the LibreElec logo > Kodi Nexus splash screen (never seen this before since v10) > Kodi !

Again on LEv9 absolutely no problems with my Samsung TV and the Onkyo receiver! All was working. No CEC init to TV, always all splash screens on reboot, etc.

> dmesg | grep EDID

> pastekodi

http://ix.io/3FkT

> modetest | pastebinit

http://ix.io/3FkU

P.S.: Maybe anyone can help me with an udev rule that was working on LEv9 also but not anymore on LEv10. :blush:

Cris_
    September 7, 2021 at 1:01 PM

Edited 4 times, last by Cris_: Updated TV model infos (December 4, 2021 at 8:32 PM).

• Translator:

As the topic. After upgrading from 10.0.0 to 10.0.1, I have no video signal.

How do I downgrade to 10.0.0 via ssh?

Please help.

--- EDIT ---

I already know:

Code
    cd /storage/.update
    ls -la
    wget http://releases.libreelec.tv/LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0.0.img.gz
    reboot

HDMI is working again.

Edited once, last by drrak (November 29, 2021 at 9:23 PM).

• Going straight back to an earlier version won't have the problem magically fix itself in the new version, but we'll figure it out. Somehow.

How can affected LibreELEC users help to identify the problem or at least to verify, that all have the same problem?

e.g. https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1648 & https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1647 show both the same behaviour (black screen), but seem to have different reasons.

At the moment I have 10.0.0 installed, but if you need special logs, I can update again to 10.0.1 and send you the logs. But it seems, there are already many logs in this thread and in the issues section...

• HiassofT:
    It seems I have found the working way for my case

Hardware:

• old LG 42LK450-ZB (2012) - edid 
    • RPi 4B - original HDMI cable plugged to HDMI0 near to power supply

Software:

• fresh installed LibreELEC-RPi4.arm-10.0.1.img

Steps to replicate:

• after the first boot the blank screen only
    • to reach the GUI select other HDMI source on TV via contoller and return back
    • proceed the first LibreELEC setup and enable SSH
    • connect to the RPi via SSH
      • mount -o remount,rw /flash
      • nano /flash/distroconfig.txt and just add (see PHASE 1 below):
        • hdmi_group=1
        • hdmi_mode=20
      • nano /flash/cmdline.txt and just add video=HDMI-A-1:1320x768@60D(see PHASE 2 below):
      • reboot

PHASE 1: Rainbow cube and boot process:

- The hdmi_group= and hdmi_mode= still affects the resolution and text size, which is hidden/not visible (black screen) in LibreELEC. The commands help to switch to PHASE 2 -> LibreELEC logo

The effect can be seen in RaspiOS (2021-10-30-raspios-bullseye-armhf-lite.zip), when e.g. hdmi_mode=1 is set.

Crossing from PHASE 1 to PHASE 2: black screen for 1s

PHASE 2: LibreELEC logo:

- The command video=HDMI-A-1:1320x768@60D or EDID (see the comment from Cris_) only affects the resolution for the screen resolution of the screen with LibreELEC logo and GUI.

Also in RaspiOS the PHASE 2 when it continues to CLI the text size is affected after PHASE 1

Please note that this is only an user description of the problem and temporary solution.

EDIT: fix typo

Edited 2 times, last by yullaw (December 4, 2021 at 12:55 PM).

• yullaw thanks a lot, this is very interesting. So it seems your TV doesn't like the initial "handover" from firmware to linux graphics driver if the resolution isn't changed.

I hope this observation will help RPi engineers to find a solution, maybe there's some timing related issue (random guess).

so long,

Hias

• I had similar problems testing 5.15.2 on LibreELEC 10, and one of my devices has problems with the current HEAD on libreelec-10.0 branch, also had similar problems with bullseye on a 3rd RPi4.

Oddly, what I found solved it was enable_uart=1 in config.txt. There is a lot of miscellaneous reports on this issue, and some naturally have different causes, so there is a lot of noise out there on the Pi forums, the issue trackers, etc. I am told core_freq_min=500 should have the same effect, but I haven't tested that yet.

EDIT: can confirm core_freq_min=500 also solves it, tested it on bullseye, basically without either I get crtc flip bit timeouts and black screen on GUI.

Edited 2 times, last by frakkin64 (December 4, 2021 at 6:14 PM).

• I had similar problems testing 5.15.2 on LibreELEC 10, and one of my devices has problems with the current HEAD on libreelec-10.0 branch, also had similar problems with bullseye on a 3rd RPi4.

Oddly, what I found solved it was enable_uart=1 in config.txt. There is a lot of miscellaneous reports on this issue, and some naturally have different causes, so there is a lot of noise out there on the Pi forums, the issue trackers, etc. I am told core_freq_min=500 should have the same effect, but I haven't tested that yet.

EDIT: can confirm core_freq_min=500 also solves it, tested it on bullseye, basically without either I get crtc flip bit timeouts and black screen on GUI.

enable_uart=1 or freq_min=500 brings good results for my LG TV and RPi4 with a fresh installed RaspiOS Bullseye and LibreELEC 10.0.1.

No more additional commands such as video=HDMI-A-1:1320x768@60D are needed.

What I can't confirm at this moment, if it will affect anything else.

I will let you know

Thank you