Pi4 USB Boot is coming soon!!!! YAAAY

• Pleased to have found this thread - I was already running v9.2.3, but had tried copying the files from /boot (/flash) on the Raspbian distro and was greatly disappointed.

Reverted my /flash and all is running great, booting from USB flash drive.:thumbup:

Just thinking - a long time ago, when I was running OpenElec on Intel hardware, I was using network boot - perhaps I can try that again.

Did you replace files on the usb stick?

• I have also moved my install to ssd today. I did install rasbian and updated/fixed boot manager that way and then I did a fresh install of libreelec :)

So far so good.

Haven't done any testings yet but will do it tomorrow and see how it goes.

• I have also moved my install to ssd today. I did install rasbian and updated/fixed boot manager that way and then I did a fresh install of libreelec :)

So far so good.

Haven't done any testings yet but will do it tomorrow and see how it goes.

let us know buddy.

• I'm having some issues on boot atm. most of the time when booting libreelec it stops on "waiting for network" and then nothing happens.

Apart from that the response in library browsing etc is much smoother now :)

Maybe i should just fresh install kodi instead of using old backups and see if it runs better.

• niceee:)

what about booting? Is it fast of you see the black screen with text?

boot time is pretty much same as on my SD card id say.

Overall it feels nicer and faster and hopefully in a near future we will get smooth playback and no screen tearing :)

Im looking forward for when the HDR/Atmos arrives.

• boot time is pretty much same as on my SD card id say.

Overall it feels nicer and faster and hopefully in a near future we will get smooth playback and no screen tearing :)

Im looking forward for when the HDR/Atmos arrives.

Sounds good

• Why not get a USB-SATA adapter and a SSD, to get proper disk speeds? SDcards and USB sticks can have okayish read speeds, but write speeds are usually crap. Plus, SSD drives have TRIM support, which most USB sticks do not have.

Or better yet, one of these:

Raspberry Pi: Add an M.2 2280 NVMe drive to the Raspberry Pi 4 for under US$25 - NotebookCheck.net News

Not sure what speed it gets on the Raspberry Pi, but the adapter has posted some pretty serious figures when used on PC hardware:

image_60.png

I bet that's about as good as it's going to get on a RP4.

• Is the latest libreelec raspberry 4 build ready for usb booting, or does one need to replace the boot binaries as before?

• I'm currently using one of the oldest SSDs there is (I think) running LibreELEC, an OCZ Vertex 60 GB Series 1... :P

• LE 9.2.5 firmware is ready for USB boot, no need to replace firmware files.

so long,

Hias

Is it plug-and-play ready? I mean: Can I just download the image, flash it to an SSD and then start using LibreElec?

• That's the big idea.

Well in that case I have done something wrong because I wasn't able to do that. I haven't updated the firmware at any point.

EDIT: Man I feel stupid now :D I kind of answered my own question. Using RPI OS I just set the eeprom-update-stream from critical to stable and then updated the eeprom. LibreElec boots from a USB device.

Edited once, last by maestrophical: Stupid question ().