Pi4 USB Boot is coming soon!!!! YAAAY

• It doesn't seem to work with my NVMe drive attached via a USB C cable on my Raspberry Pi4B.

I updated the eeprom to the latest beta version.

Tested it with a regular USB 2.0 2GB USB and it worked fine.

I couldn't flash LibreELEC with the USB SD creator because it didn't recognize the the NVMe drive as a USB drive or an SD card.

Instead I used the Raspberry Pi Imager to flash the downloaded image from the USB SD creator, so that could be a problem.

I also tried flashing a backed up image from my sd card to the drive with Win32DiscImager and that also didn't work.

These are the messages I see on the screen:

Code
    I get Failed to open device: 'sdcard' (cmd 371a0010 status 1fff001)
    USB2[1] 400202e1 connected
    USB2 root HUB port 1 init
    HUB [01:00] 216 000000:01 init port 4 speed 1

Guessing my NVMe adapter just isn't compatible. (jmicron)

Update:

SOLVED: SSD Enclosures with Jmicron chips JMS580 and JMS583 don't boot up. RPi4. · Issue #266 · raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom · GitHub

It seems to be related to the setting: USB_MSD_PWR_OFF_TIME in the eeprom which should be set to 0 for the NVMe drive to work correctly. Supposedly they fixed the problem in one of the beta releases but maybe not the latest beta release..?

Anyway, just turning on the system before connecting the USB cable to the Pi will allow it to boot.

Update:

Turns out the USB connector on the cable was just finicky. That's all it was!

Edited 4 times, last by Morawake (August 27, 2021 at 3:54 AM).