Pi4 USB Boot is coming soon!!!! YAAAY

• and that update of the firmware, what does it fix exactly then?

Ah, sorry, thought I was posting in the other thread. The fix is for artefacts with some 4k HEVC files and was added yesterday to the firmware repo.

Initial USB boot support was added to the firmware a couple of days before.

LE 9.2.3 will ship with a firmware that has the early USB boot support, so you'll only need to update the rpi-eeprom firmware to test it.

Keep in mind that RPi4 USB boot is in early beta testing so there will very certainly be several newer versions with fixes/enhancements/... in the weeks to come.

so long,

Hias

• So for this:

The fix is for artefacts with some 4k HEVC files and was added yesterday to the firmware repo.

we need to fix the update you wrote? but that firmware update is that not in the 9.2.3LE then?

This update for the artefacts, is there a topic on raspberry site itself? I could nothing find about this update.

So

Long

• This is the thread about the artefacts: Noise / artefacts when playing back 4K HEVC video on RPi4 + LE 9.2.1 (no problems on LE 9.2.0) - you posted in it less than a day ago, did you forget?

LE 9.2.3 isn't out and when we release it it'll contain the latest firmware, with both the artefact fix and initial USB boot support (except for rpi-eeprom update, which is still early beta).

so long,

Hias

So many topics here sorry for that :)

The latest firmware with 9.2.3 what is the number of that?

mount -o remount,rw /flash

wget -O /flash/start.elf start4x.elf

wget -O /flash/fixup.dat fixup4x.dat

this update is that beta? And is it for the eeprom or firmware?

so long

• The instructions I posted are for updating the RPi/VideoCore firmware on the SD card / USB device. On Raspbian "rpi-update" takes care of that step. Without that updated firmware the bootloader will refuse to boot from USB media.

The bootloader eeprom on the RPi has to be updated separately to the beta version. This is done via "rpi-eeprom-update". While LibreELEC contains the rpi-eeprom-update/rpi-eeprom-config tools it doesn't include the beta bootloader - you'd need to manually download that from GitHub - raspberrypi/rpi-eeprom: Installation scripts and binaries for the closed sourced Raspberry Pi 4 EEPROMs . Or boot Raspbian on the RPi and follow the official instructions Raspberry Pi 4 USB mass storage beta (beta means it not ready yet, and not officially released!) - Raspberry Pi Forums

The same warning as in the RPi thread applies to LE, too - even more so as LE is a bit different than Raspbian.

This is a beta release. If you aren't already comfortable with manual firmware updates then please wait until this is available in a standard release.

so long,

Hias

• I made some days ago via raspbian with terminal the update but it updated the bootloader to16-04/2020 and not tot 22 may 2020. Thats very weird then. Maybe I need to do it again???

Also via raspbian I made the vl805 update. And that is now: 000137ad.

The 3 steps you wrote, could I update that by putty? Or should I update it by raspbian again and hope this time it will be may 22.

so long

harun

• No, the steps I posted are specific for LibreELEC, they won't work on Raspbian (they'll just mess up the firmware files for RPi0-3 there).

If you have issues with Raspbian please post in the thread on the RPi forum.

so long,

Hias

• No, the steps I posted are specific for LibreELEC, they won't work on Raspbian (they'll just mess up the firmware files for RPi0-3 there).

If you have issues with Raspbian please post in the thread on the RPi forum.

so long,

Hias

When I do the steps in LE with putty and after all reboot and check

Code
    vcgencmd bootloader_version

I see still the april 16 2020

So it does not overwrite. Do I make a mistake somewhere?

• When I do the steps in LE with putty and after all reboot and check

Code
    vcgencmd bootloader_version

I see still the april 16 2020

Which steps exactly did you do and what was the console output?

The script I posted in this thread and the instructions I posted in the artefact thread are for updating the RPi/VideoCode firmware. It won't affect the bootloader.

so long,

Hias

• Which steps exactly did you do and what was the console output?

The script I posted in this thread and the instructions I posted in the artefact thread are for updating the RPi/VideoCode firmware. It won't affect the bootloader.

so long,

Hias

mount -o remount,rw /flash

wget -O /flash/start.elf start4x.elf

wget -O /flash/fixup.dat fixup4x.dat

i did those 3 steps. I turned on the rpi4 till I was in the home screen of kodi/LE.

With putty I made the connection to the pi4

and then write that 3 steps. And then write reboot. After that I write vcgencmd bootloader_version to check If I could see the bootloader is 22 may like yours and others. But no result.

so long

• Please post the full output you get in putty, not only the commands you typed/copied in. wget will show some info/status and that's important.

And, again, no, vcgencmd bootloader_version is not the correct command to check the version of the firmware. vcgencmd version is the right command.

I already posted all of this in detail here Noise / artefacts when playing back 4K HEVC video on RPi4 + LE 9.2.1 (no problems on LE 9.2.0)

TBH if you can't follow these steps and don't understand the difference between bootloader, RPi firmware and VL805 firmware I think it's better you stay away from beta-testing and wait until the final version is released.

so long,

Hias

• i got it thank you. Whats the full output for putty? I could try it again. And if it does not work then I will wait on 9.2.3

so long Harun

• Did I understand correctly; is LibreELEC going to publish a new version with USB-boot support out of the box, once the official public release of RPI 4 USB-boot firmware comes out?

• Pleased to have found this thread - I was already running v9.2.3, but had tried copying the files from /boot (/flash) on the Raspbian distro and was greatly disappointed.

Reverted my /flash and all is running great, booting from USB flash drive.:thumbup:

Just thinking - a long time ago, when I was running OpenElec on Intel hardware, I was using network boot - perhaps I can try that again.