Hyperion addon does not work with inputstream.adaptive (Netflix etc.) with Pi4

• thnx but that means all the 4k content on kodi will be 1080?

And hyperion works with this method?

If we cannot watch 4k then why we should upgrade?

A quick test showed that 4kp24 content (tested with Interstellar-divx-hevc-uhd-51ch-4K.mkv) played fine with hyperion active (both at 4k and HD output at 24Hz), but 4kp60 seems to be too much (both at HD and 4k output). So, sorry, reducing the output resolution doesn't seem to help.

If you want something that plays all 4k content with hyperion active then ATM the RPi4 is not the right choice for you. It probably will get fixed at some point but as posted numerous times there's no ETA for the fix.

so long,

Hias

• A quick test showed that 4kp24 content (tested with Interstellar-divx-hevc-uhd-51ch-4K.mkv) played fine with hyperion active (both at 4k and HD output at 24Hz), but 4kp60 seems to be too much (both at HD and 4k output). So, sorry, reducing the output resolution doesn't seem to help.

If you want something that plays all 4k content with hyperion active then ATM the RPi4 is not the right choice for you. It probably will get fixed at some point but as posted numerous times there's no ETA for the fix.

so long,

Hias

many thanks buddy. I will use then the 3b.

When it is fixed in the future then I could upgrade to 4.

Good luck everyone

• HiassofT any clue about subtitles issue I commented before?

If I can help with any kind of test please let me know.

Sorry, no idea ATM.

I tried to reproduce it yesterday but wasn't really successful.

With hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt I got working output both with subtitles on and off (played Disenchantment S02E01, screen running at 1080p24) and without hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt I got occasional black screens, no matter if I enabled subtitles or not (same episode, same resolution/refreshrate).

so long,

Hias

• Sorry, no idea ATM.

I tried to reproduce it yesterday but wasn't really successful.

With hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt I got working output both with subtitles on and off (played Disenchantment S02E01, screen running at 1080p24) and without hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 in config.txt I got occasional black screens, no matter if I enabled subtitles or not (same episode, same resolution/refreshrate).

so long,

Hias

OK, it is weird, maybe is is some setting I have related with UI, onscreen display or similar, anyways but will wait for a future update and in the meanwhile I am using external grabber, and since I limited inputstream using a bandwith max value everything everything plays smoothly.

• Yesterday I switched to my original hyperion config file (default internal grabber) to watch a movie from my HDD (it is more stable and colours are more accurate), everything OK. After that I tried a movie from HBO addon (using inputstream.adaptive also) and hyperio worked like a charm, just like watching a movie from my HDD. Then I tried a Netflix movie, crossed my fingers... but no luck... black screen, flashes... Then I switched back to my other config file, the one using external USB grabber and it worked again...

So, this means it is not a inputstream.adaptive related issue but related with Netflix addon itself, right?

• Might not be useful at all but maybe deactivating vp9-profiles in netflix helps. Much better performance. I also limitted the Inputstream to 3000000 (stock clocks / 5000000 with OC). Seems to be the limit for my RPI4 within netflix and widevine stuff running in the background. Might give enough performance overhead for hyperion.

• In which folder must the dely.conf?

I dont have .config/system.d/service.hyperion.service.d/

Maybe that?

/storage/.kodi/addons/service.hyperion/system.d

• Probably, as the dispmanx grabber has similar known issues with 4k playback etc.

As this issue here only seems to show up when using the binary-only widevine CDM, eg on netflix, (youtube with inputstream adaptive works fine here) it's tricky to find out what's actually happening.

Dispmanx grabber issues are known for a long time but fixing them is rather low priority. Development focus of RPi kernel+firmware is on reducing power consumption (which already looks quite good) and on getting the non-firmware graphics driver and V4L2 decoders working.

so long,

Hias

• The problem with the dispmanx grabber in the RPi firmware is that it needs a lot of RAM bandwidth. It downscales the full (HD or 4k) image down to 64x64 (or whatever's configured in hyperion) which is then processed by hyperion. If that needs too much RAM bandwidth the HDMI output "starves" (can't get it's data in time) and the screen cuts out.

The downscale processes every pixel on screen which could probably be optimized (eg checking only every 2nd/4th/8th... pixel) which should still give a good enough approximation for hyperion, be a lot quicker and save a lot of RAM bandwidth.

Such a thing might be easier to do with V4L2 decoders, a new grabber could directly hook into kodi (or get the video buffers with decoded images from kodi) and could implement optimized downscaling in userspace.

But that's something for the future and of course a new grabber (which could then work on all platforms using V4L2 decoders) plus some plumbing on kodi side would need to be implemented in hyperion.

so long,

Hias

• i would like to add to this (or maybe it is just my system)

RPI4+Hyperion will lose signal after a couple of seconds playback with every 1080p 25hz (PAL i suppose) video i feed it.

However, this will only happen if i activate "adjust refresh rate to video", if i force 25hz it does not happen. But then playback is juddery

It is kind of weird bc if i disable Hyperion and run the video with adjust refresh rate enabled, it will play perfectly fine but the FPS are all over the place. Jumping from 20ish to sometimes 40 and back. But the playback is fluent...

Any workaround for this? I mean i know 4k is pretty much out of the question for now but it would be great if the RPI handled all 1080p material fine

on another note, is there a way to re-enable the lost HDMI signal when it happens apart from actually cutting the power from the RPI? For me even a reboot does not help and it's kind of annoying :)

thanks

• Make sure you disable 25-30Hz in the whitelist (i.e. only include 24 and 50-60Hz) mode. If you enable 25-30Hz then these will be picked up when playing 50 or 60Hz interlaced content (which need to be output at 50p/60p) and playback will go south.

Which such a setup I didn't have any issues playing 1080i50 and 1080p50 H264 content with Hyperion enabled.

If you still have issue please post a link to a sample video that will trigger this issue - so far I haven't been able to reproduce the no screen issue by playing back a 1080 file, only with Netflix and 4k content.

Not sure why a reboot doesn't solve the no signal issue for you, this works fine here. Did your RPi really come back after a reboot (i.e. could you ssh in)? If that's the case have you tried turning of/on your TV - could also be that the TV somehow got upset by the signal from the RPi.

so long,

Hias

• Thanks once more hias

I tried your suggestion. Now the Video seems to play fine for a while but the instant i press any button on the remote that will bring up the progress bar, the hdmi signal craps out. I can see a slight "stutter" in that moment and the progress bar isd isplayed for about a second or two and then all goes black. Interestingly kore remote app shows the video as still playing and ambilight still does its thing.

And seems you're right, while I can still ssh into the machine after signal loss and force reboot but it does not come back up again (LE i mean).

I have tried different 25fps tv shows all show the same pattern though :/