Posts by phob08

HEVC has been working for months (H264 is/was the hold-up). 4K is working now (not 4K60, but that's will be along eventually). HDR is complicated but will come. Upstreaming will take time.. but getting it all working comes first. We aren't going to do a formal Pi release for LE10 out of an abundance of caution (we have hundreds of thousands of Pi users) but things are moving along nicely..

thanks again for the update! so obv i misunderstood.. this sounds a lot more promising :)

as soon as HDR is in i suppose users will be pouring in so i get the "cautious approach" to releasing. anyway looking forward!

Check if ntfs-3g's big_writes option is set - you should see it via "ps ax | grep ntfs".

This option is known to speed up writes a lot and it's enabled by default in LibreELEC.

Code
    xbmc:~ # ps ax | grep ntfs
    684 root 0:00 mount.ntfs /dev/sdc1 /media/Sat-Hias -o big_writes,fmask=0133,uid=0,gid=0,utf8

so long,

Hias

my god could somebody please nominate this guy for president?! this was the third time that he provided the key clue for my stupid RPI issues

added big writes to the mount table

made sure it was reported in grep

dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/[NTFS-MOUNT W BIG WRITES]/tempfile bs=1M count=512; sync

512+0 records in

512+0 records out

536870912 bytes (537 MB, 512 MiB) copied, 5.3942 s, 99.5 MB/s

thanks so much

HiassofT to the rescue!

as per usual, thanks for the reply!

on RASPBIAN ps ax | grep ntfs returns:

Code
    1084 ?        Ss     0:02 /sbin/mount.ntfs /dev/sda1 /media/[USERNAME/USB-DRIVE] -o rw,nodev,nosuid,uid=1000,gid=1000,uhelper=udisks2
    2755 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep --color=auto ntfs

so no it is not explicitly mentioned as enabled. I came across this idea as well but figured from what i understood from the ntfs3g documentation that the big writes option would be enabled by default anyway

ill check out the LE sdcard later to compare if it is explicitly enabled there.

okay so i am getting desperate here trying to find the problem...^^

i took a fresh U3 Samsung Evo Sd Card and installed Raspbian from scratch and ran the USB3 write test right out of the box: alas 30mb/s

so i switched back to the LibreElec Sd Card (70mb/s USB3 write speed) and tried to compare both configurations to find out why LibreElec does such a better job at writing. There is only one thing i could find that was different(?): the ntfs-3g driver revision

Raspbian reports:

ntfs-3g 2017.3.23AR.3 integrated FUSE 28 - Third Generation NTFS Driver

LibreElec:

ntfs-3g 2017.3.23 external FUSE 29 - Third Generation NTFS Driver

i am not sure what this means but could it possibly be the soúrce of my troubles? It is so weird since READ speeds are normal it is just the WRITE speeds that are too slow (30mb/s vs 70mb/s, see above)

Again, any feedback or other ideas are highly appreciated, i am really running out of ideas on how pinpoint the problem

thanks for the fast reply!

sorry should have mentioned that -- this was the first thing i tried , alas, didn't help

as mentioned above, this is what i read but i am hesitant

Quote from AmigaGamer post_id=1494579 time=1562510211 user_id=99660

Another thing that can really affect the performance is the way you mount the Samba filesystems.

on my desktop PC running Buster i can only get about 40-50mb/s if the filesystem is mounted in at user level (gvfs-fuse)

e.g. through File managers or comand line

Code
    gio mount smb://user@server/share

however if i mount via fstab or a traditional mount line i get a full gigabit transfer rates with a lower cpu overhead , e.g "

Code
    sudo mount -t cifs -o ro username=USER,uid=$(id -u),gid=$(id -g) //server/share /home/pi/SAMBAshare"

is the latter way how LE mounts it?

:edit

hmmm... i tried disabling auto-mount in file explorer and mount the drive manually in fstab

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 544.147 s, 2.0 MB/s

;(

:edit²

reconfigured fstab to use ntfs-3g

now i am back at 30mb/s

:edit³

reconnected LibreElec to run the same test

1024+0 records in

1024+0 records out

1073741824 bytes (1.0GB) copied, 13.911960 seconds, 73.6MB/s

why are you guys ntfs wizards and Raspbian/(i.e. me) is not /shrug

Hi

now i know this is not the most ideal place to ask this question but i couldn't get an answer on the Raspberry forums so i am hoping you guys can help me out real quick.

as the topic says i am having problems with write speeds on USB3/NTFS connected drives with Raspbian on a 4gb RPI4 sharing via SMB on a Gbit LAN.

Running my normal environment LibreELEC smb write speeds from my windows PC are about 60mb/s (just tested it again)

Now in order to be able to do play around with some stuff i installed Raspbian on another SDcard. But now write speeds dropped to about 20mb/s.

to eliminate possible error sources i tested the following on Raspbian:

- Network with iperf: ~900mbit/s
    - HDD read with hdparm: ~100mb/s
    - HDD write with sync; dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/[user/MyUSB]/tempfile bs=1M count=1024; sync: ~30mb/s

so i suppose the culprit here is not necessarily the network(?) but somehow the way Raspbian accesses the USB3 HDD?

I read in another thread that the way Raspbian's auto-mount works (which i am using) is not optimal for USB3 NTFS write speeds? Does LE mount the drives differently? Are they shared differently via smb?

i have compared the outputs of blkid/demsg/mount of both LE and Raspbian but couldn't really make much out of it.

So since i am still a Linux beginner and i do not want to just blindly copy paste mount commands or edit fstab, i would very much appreciate sb to point me in the right direction

tl;dr: what magic does LE employ to achieve these super fast transfer rates? :)

Cheers and thanks!

because it is weird. the way i understand it is that this is the size to which the image gets shrunk for processing in hyperion. Now increasing these value drastically should increase load, no? But if the original problem is really connected with the RAM bandwidth of the RPI as HiassofT pointed out, then i am wondering how increasing the load fixes the problem... but maybe i am mistaken on something here...

anyway. i have switched to Hyperion.NG which seems vastly superior to the old Hyperion in terms of accessibilty/features/you name it.

The fix also works here by increasing width/height to 640x360 (default is 80x45 here). No more HDMI signal drop when playing 1080p 25fps / 50hz, so thanks again.

if anyone is curios this is the automated install script one of the devs wrote to get Hyperion.NG on LE

Code
    wget -qO- https://git.io/JvgVC | bash

you control/configure hyperion.ng via http://IP.OF.YOUR.RPI:8090

JohnWayne111

did i get that right , you solved the issue with the RPI4 losing HDMI signal at 1080p 25fps by overclocking the machine?

HiassofT

so i activated debug logging and started playback of the aforementioned file via file explorer but now kodi will not even start playback anymore but immediatly drop the HDMI signal. what's weird is that after disabling debug logging again, the problem still persists. So it is not as it was before where it would only crash if i called up the status bar but instead will lose signal immediatly upon refresh rate change / starting playback. Interestingly hyperion still does its thing once the screen goes black and kodi is still playing the file.

anyway here is the debug log. couldn't find anything interesting in there though (seems pretty confusing too tbh, esp considering the weird time stamps). Maybe you could have a look at it. cheers

http://ix.io/2e3H

don't do this.

copy the systemd service file, rename it, enable it, and start it

Code
    cp /storage/.kodi/addons/service.hyperion/system.d/service.hyperion.service /storage/.config/system.d/service.hyperion2.service
    nano /storage/.config/system.d/service.hyperion2.service

change the path to your second hyperion config

Code
    systemctl enable service.hyperion2.service
    systemctl start service.hyperion2.service

sorry to dig out this thread but am i correct in assuming that this info is outdated?

With my current version of hyperion there is no pointer to the .json config file in /storage/.kodi/addons/service.hyperion/system.d/service.hyperion.service.

However i did find a pointer in /storage/.kodi/addons/service.hyperion/bin/hyperiond.start. So am i correct in assuming that if i want to add a second .json for Hue Lamps (first one being the LED strip) that i would have to add the path to this config file here?