LibreELEC 9.2.X video judder and stuttering [renamed]

• I have the same issue, 100 dropped frames recorded with 5.1 audio. Doesn’t matter if it’s pass through or not. Switch to 2.1 audio and it’s fine. I’m on 9.2.0. LG OLED C7 Tv direct HDMI to RPI4. Any tips? It’s really spoiling my movie experience now.

• I have the same issue, 100 dropped frames recorded with 5.1 audio. Doesn’t matter if it’s pass through or not. Switch to 2.1 audio and it’s fine.

Are you talking with subs or without? I don't have audio problems any more (pass-through or not) since V 9.2.1 without(!) subtitles. AAC or AC3?
    Even with subtitles, "algorithmdirtyregions and smartredraw" seemed to worked, but frame drops appeared out of thin air a few days ago.

• Are you talking with subs or without? I don't have audio problems any more (pass-through or not) since V 9.2.1 without(!) subtitles. AAC or AC3?
    Even with subtitles, "algorithmdirtyregions and smartredraw"seemed to worked, but frame drops appeared out of thin air a few days ago.

I didn’t try algorithmdirtyregions yet, but I’m getting this without subs. I have 1080p23.976 and 24hz whitelisted. The files have DTS/DTSHD. I’ll try update my build, auto update won’t work for 9.2.1.

Edit:
    so last night I watched an old copy of dark knight, was hitting 100% cpu all cores. No idea why, and was stuttering at random points when the cpu choked.

now I updated to 9.2.1, and I now have 10-20% cpu usage on this file, but now I’m getting a stutter pretty often and 0 dropped or skipped frames recorded.

going to try the “algorithmdirtyregions and smartredraw" now.

Edit2:

Enabling pass through audio appears to fix it with optimised audio channels.

Edited 3 times, last by Jasjeet (April 11, 2020 at 2:10 PM).

• I've watched somme movies which had judder with MMAL other without-it.

After some more testing, I've had the most stable video viewing experience using the following set of settings:

Settings

Player

Adjust display refresh rate ALWAYS

Sync playback to display YES

Enable HQ Scalers above 50%

Allow hardware accel. MMAL YES

System / Display

White list - only All 1920x1080 resolutions (this will force upscaling in kodi when needed)

Preferred mode Same as Movies

System / Audio

Allow passthrough NO

(The bold settings seems to be the more influent)

• I've watched some movies which had judder with MMAL other without-it.

So, your RasPi connects directly to the TV, without AV-Receiver?
    Could you do me a favor: While judder and frame-dropping...can you switch off the TV (let the RasPi run!) and switch it on after 20 seconds again.
    Does this make any difference and the judder is gone for a few minutes? Thanx, Greetings!

That's what happens to me at the moment: First I had the same problems you described in the first post, than I could get rid of it for a few weeks ( algorithmdirtyregions) and now all is back much worse.

• So, your RasPi connects directly to the TV, without AV-Receiver?
    Could you do me a favor: While judder and frame-dropping...can you switch off the TV (let the RasPi run!) and switch it on after 20 seconds again.
    Does this make any difference and the judder is gone for a few minutes? Thanx, Greetings!

That's what happens to me at the moment: First I had the same problems you described in the first post, than I could get rid of it for a few weeks ( algorithmdirtyregions) and now all is back much worse.

I've also tried algorithmdirtyregions. But after some time, all the isswues were back.

The set of setting above is giving the best results.

Note: I've tried your test ith the TV, But I notice no diference - I'm using a Sony Android TV (2016 model) with a Raspberry Pi 4.

• Thanks Nvdias.

But after some time, all the issues were back.

Exactly the same with me. Weird thing is, the issues came back without(!) any software update or any change to the system at all! It just reappeared.

I'm done with RasPi4 for now and change to another player and the TV itself.

• what kind of tv you have?

What is your resolution in kodi?

Did you enable 4k 60 in your config.txt?

You did not whitelist 4k 23,98 24 50 59,94 60?

• Exactly the same problem on the Raspberry Pi 4 only when watching live tv (enigma plugin connected to VU+ receiver and tv headend plugin to tv headend server). The problem does not occur when playing on a 1920x1080 resolution. I only happens when I want to watch on my official 7" raspberry pi touchscreen. On the first versions of raspi 4 images it would not even boot with the tochscreen attached. Now the image is really nice. But still no fix for the live tv downscaler...

Maybe this problem is because of this issue?
    le beta 2 deinterlacing

Anybody any news on this yet?

• I believe I might have stumbled upon another solution.

Successfully been using the above settings for some time on a 4GB Pi4 LE installation, obviously I had the same problem as many of you guys before.

Got a 2GB Pi4 for another LE installation a couple of weeks ago. Occurred to me that I never did these settings on the new installation earlier today, so assumed the problem was fixed in LE, and restored default settings on the 4GB one. The stuttering/juddering immediately came back.

Figured that the only relevant difference between the two installations is the RAM amount, 4GB vs 2GB. Using the same network stored media files and centralized library on both installations.

Tried limiting the total amount of available RAM to 2GB by adding total_mem=2048 to config.txt, and it actually seems to work! Been playing formerly problematic videos for a few hours now without a hitch :)

Edit: might also be worth mentioning that I'm using LE 9.2.6, and has been experiencing the stuttering/juddering issue since at least 9.2.1.

Edited once, last by kaputnik (November 6, 2020 at 9:58 PM).

• kaputnik Thanks. Dev's will have a look at this, soon (maybe wrong RPi4B compiler flag).

Awesome :)

I'm of course willing to test any new builds, at least until Tuesday night, when I leave home for a couple of weeks.

Been testing more videos during the morning by the way, no problems so far :)

• It's a year later, but I want to resurrect this point. I'm having the same problem. RP4B, LG tv, Haaupagge tuner, high-speed internet, good over the air signal quality, and tried all the suggestions in this thread.

The AQ (audio quality) displayed pressing CTRL SHIFT + O goes to zero, and the video and audio freeze. The VQ stays satisfactory.

Playing IPTV channels from around the world, the AQ stays at 90%S, as does VQ. Same with streaming 4K files form my server.

Have you folks had any progress?

• I've tried 4 different cable, eliminating any adapters. But how would the cable cause the problem I'm having, that is, sound working perfectly for IPTV or local media streaming, but sound aq going to zero for live TV?