LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• For the stuttering reports there is a fix. Either wait for the next LE update or grab firmware from here:

start4.elf?raw=true

fixup4.dat?raw=true

rename and replace http://start.elf/fixup.dat on the FAT partition of sdcard.

This fixes the issues I have seen with h.264 1080i interlaced content (i.e. Freeview HD stuff) - but my 2160p59.94 Rec 709 SDR HEVC test stuff is still frame dropping like crazy. (Some other 2160p59.94 stuff isn't though)

Decoder is ff-hevc-mmal (HW)

Pixel format is rpi

Also 5.1 PCM is now working for me (though I discovered an HDMI issue elsewhere in my set-up that may have resolved that)

• Hi guys i am at the lates aplpha on my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB but i notice some screen Tearing when i am in the settings or so. is a known probleme and maybe a fix for it?

The test firmware mentioned does improve tearing (but there are still occasional glimpses). It is still being investigated.

• This fixes the issues I have seen with h.264 1080i interlaced content (i.e. Freeview HD stuff) - but my 2160p59.94 Rec 709 SDR HEVC test stuff is still frame dropping like crazy. (Some other 2160p59.94 stuff isn't though)

High bitrate HEVC is next on the list to investigate. Currently it's just been "got working" rather than optimised.

• Hi! I've bought a Pi4 2GB to use it in my restaurant to display menus and offers. I'm trying to boot with two LG 4K Tvs connected but I get a rainbow screen. If I boot with only 1 TV connected it works. I'm wondering if it's posible to make Kodi work with more than one display connected and play different videos on each screen. Maybe it would be easier to run two instances of Kodi and sign each one to a screen. I've tried VLC and OMXplayer but I think they don't support HW HEVC decode at this moment.

I don't think kodi supports dual video output on any platform, so no.

HW HEVC support is coming to VLC and that should support running fullscreen on either display so that should be an option.

You could use omxplayer and H.264 videos is you want a solution that works now.

• High bitrate HEVC is next on the list to investigate. Currently it's just been "got working" rather than optimised.

Cheers - I'm really not complaining! This is where Raspberry Pis really stick out from other SBCs - amazing support.

• I don't think kodi supports dual video output on any platform, so no.

HW HEVC support is coming to VLC and that should support running fullscreen on either display so that should be an option.

You could use omxplayer and H.264 videos is you want a solution that works now.

Yeah, but as far as I know H.264 HW decode is limited to 1080p@60 and I want to use 4K content, so :(

Or I'm wrong?

PD: sorry for the off-topic hehehe

• Anybody got overheating issues? Seeing the half-full thermometer icon a lot on my Pi4 4 GB. Standard Case / Power supply. Had it running at UHD resolution 60 FPS. Will try 1920 and see if that makes a difference.

• Yeah, but as far as I know H.264 HW decode is limited to 1080p@60 and I want to use 4K content, so :(

Or I'm wrong?

PD: sorry for the off-topic hehehe

My understanding is that the hardware decode of non-HEVC stuff is basically near-identical to previous Raspberry Pi models - with the new HEVCv2 4:4:4 4096x4096 decode capabilities added separately, so performance with h.264 will be the same as previous models.

I guess the approach the Pi developers have taken is to maximise compatibility (by adding new functionality without replacing the elements that were present in previous Pis?)

• 4GB is probably overkill just for kodi.

Unless you want to run a lot of background services or docker containers 2GB will be fine.

so long,

Hias

Considering the confirmed USB-C design issues, I won't be going near revision 1.0, I'll wait for 1.1

• A bit of an unrelated question... What command should I use via SSH to monitor temperatures? Also how do I enable/disable a temperature overlay on the UI itself?

• A bit of an unrelated question... What command should I use via SSH to monitor temperatures?

You can use bcmstat.sh to monitor temperatures.

Also how do I enable/disable a temperature overlay on the UI itself?

If you want to disable the over temperature/under voltage warnings it's explained here, but that's not really a good or recommended solution as your device will throttle the frequency once it gets too hot.

• I only have a 1080p TV but I want to confirm that HEVC 10 bit 1080p content is running is running flawlessly and exactly what I wanted out of the device.

Also tried some 4K HDR content and that seems to run well too. I'm not 100% sure if the tone mapping back to SDR is being done correctly, but it looks good.

• What is the issue?

This: Pi4 not working with some chargers (or why you need two cc resistors) – The blog of Tyler Ward (aka scorpia)

On reddit: Broken USB-PD power on Raspberry 4?! Almost of my usb-c power supplies do not work... :( : raspberry_pi

It's an issue that appears to affect _some_ cables (it's not actually a charger issue, but a cable issue). It's not the end of the world, but might be nice to fix in a future rev - most users are unlikely to be affected with the current board revision.