LibreELEC (Leia) 9.2 ALPHA1 with Raspberry Pi 4B Support

• I understand it has hardware decoding for HEVC content but what about 10 bit? Will it smoothly run 1080 and 4K x265 10 bit content?

The HEVC/h.265 decode hardware is quoted as supporting 4:4:4 4096x4096 at 10-bit in specs I've seen reported elsewhere.

That should be fine for 3840x2160 4:2:0 10-bit consumer HEVC/h.265 as used on UHD Blu-ray etc. in decode terms.

(I don't think anyone would seriously now offer 8-bit limited UHD HEVC/h.265 decoding)

• I understand it has hardware decoding for HEVC content but what about 10 bit? Will it smoothly run 1080 and 4K x265 10 bit content?

both 8 and 10 bit HEVC HW decode is supported and testing with that was fine.

Video output is 8bit ATM, 10-bit / HDR will probably be added later.

so long,

Hias

• I'd recommend getting the 2GB model for 4k, with 1GB memory is a bit tight ATM (this may change in the future with further improvements to the firmware and video driver).

so long,

Hias

Is 2GB really required? I've always thought that RAM didn't much matter to video playback if hardware decoding was supported.

My current usage is only 1080p and I won't be upgrading to 4k for many months. Will playback on 1GB be evened out by then?

• Is 2GB really required? I've always thought that RAM didn't much matter to video playback if hardware decoding was supported.

My current usage is only 1080p and I won't be upgrading to 4k for many months. Will playback on 1GB be evened out by then?

My crystal ball is currently on repair so I can't tell what the future will bring us in a couple of months.

Current recommendation is: 1GB is fine for 1080p usage, for 4k spend the extra 10$ for the 2GB model. HW video decoding also needs RAM for buffers which need to be larger with 4k content than with 1080p.

so long,

Hias

• I've been told that RPi4 will support open "static" metadata standards (HDR/HLG) not the commercial "dynamic" ones like Dolby Vision which would require a license fee to be paid on every board sold. Not sure about Atmos audio, but if it requires fees I'd expect the position to be the same. I've asked for a clarification.

While you are at it, could perhaps you ask if there was the possibility to make such an hypothecital Dolby Vision Licence available for purchase, just like the optional MPEG2 Licence, that one could buy for the old Raspberries? This would just be as awesome as Dolby Atmos Support :)

Thanks for this incredibly exciting news of the day!!

• I'm told Atmos should be okay. If you aren't using pass-through you'll only get the DTS core (5.1) anyway and if it is being passed through it's not being decoded and thus a license isn't needed. Or something like that .. IANAL :)

Does Dolby Vision also involves metadata passthrough as well?

• Does Dolby Vision also involves metadata passthrough as well?

DV requires metadata passthrough - and there are different ways of doing this (early DV tunnelled the metadata within the video, which requires displays to extract the DV metadata from the video) Not all displays support all metadata routes (more recent displays only support the low latency DV system that carries metadata separately, I believe similarly to HDR10+?).

In fact DV's main reason for existence is to pass Dolby metadata through the viewing chain to Dolby licensed processing elements.

Edited once, last by noggin (June 24, 2019 at 4:42 PM).

• My crystal ball is currently on repair so I can't tell what the future will bring us in a couple of months.

Current recommendation is: 1GB is fine for 1080p usage, for 4k spend the extra 10$ for the 2GB model. HW video decoding also needs RAM for buffers which need to be larger with 4k content than with 1080p.

so long,

Hias

Luckily enough there were still 2Gb devices in stock and nabbed one , can relegate the 1Gb one I ordered when half asleep this morning to the bedroom as the little tv in there doesn't do 4K anyways..

• I've read this thread a few times along with the front page 9.2 announcement. What about LibreELEC 9.2 for Generic x86/64 ?

Is it an upgrade from 9.0.2 and where can I download it ?

• Does somebody know if the 4B has support for HDMI-CEC?

This would be a very important feature for me to use it as media server.

All previous models of Pi (Zero up to 3B+) have supported HDMI-CEC so I'd expect the Pi 4B to continue to do so, though the dual HDMI ports could complicate these I guess (though I think CEC can be multi-device friendly)

• I'm told Atmos should be okay. If you aren't using pass-through you'll only get the DTS core (5.1) anyway and if it is being passed through it's not being decoded and thus a license isn't needed. Or something like that .. IANAL :)

Don't you mean you'll get either a lossy Dolby Digital accompanying secondary stream (if DD passthrough is enabled but True HD disabled) or Dolby True HD decoded to 5.1PCM (if all passthrough disabled and thus lossless decode - ignoring Atmos extensions - kicks in? ISTR that most True HD + Atmos has a 5.1 True HD core?)

Not sure where DTS comes from (And True HD technically isn't a DD core + True HD extension is it? Unlike DTS + DTS HD MA - True HD is self contained and there is usually a secondary DD standalone stream - though this is sometimes hidden from view on discs)