Refresh rate issue

• I've just upgraded to Libreelec 8.9/Kodi 18 and Kodi seems to have suddenly lost the ability to determine the frame rate of the videos I'm playing. Adjust Display Refresh Rate is set to On Start/Stop and Sync Playback to Display is set to off, which is the way I've always had it set. Kodi's refresh rate is set to 60Hz and Kodi has always been able to set my TV's refresh rate to match the video frame rate. However, I suddenly noticed jerkiness in the playback of most videos and the TV is reporting it is always at 60Hz. When I manually set Kodi's refresh rate to match the video, Kodi sets the TV's refresh rate properly and video playback is smooth. Any idea what's going on? Thanks

• Over time we've seen an increase in TV screens which are capable of displaying things the HTPC device can't handle, but all Kodi sees is the list of resolutions from EDID on the HDMI connection, so it's become necessary to provide some better controls for how Kodi handles resolutions and refresh rates. Settings > System > Video > Whitelist; contains the whitelist of resolutions and refresh rates you need. If there are no entries Kodi will remain on ~1080p60 which is the default.

• Hardware is an ASUS Chromebox CN60 Model M075U, Intel Core i3 4010U / 1.7 GHz, 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 16 GB M.2 SSD, two 1TB 2.5 inch mechanical HD attached to USB ports, standalone installation of Libreelec. Movie files are stored on the USB drives and an another Windows PC connected via network. I get an error trying to upload the log file from my Windows 10 desktop. Still working on that.

• OK, so I'm still baffled by what's going on. I have the Whitelist set for the TV's refresh rates, Adjust Display Refresh Rate is set to On Start/Stop, Sync Playback to Display is set to Off, Hardware Acceleration is disabled, Audio offset is -0.05s.The Kodi player is matching the TV refresh rate to the video fps as it should. Videos are playing smoothly at 23.98 fps, but videos with 29.97 fps frame rate are still jerky, even though the TV is verifiably set to 29.97Hz. However, here is the more baffling thing: if I force 23.98Hz resolution, then the 29.97 fps videos play absolutely smoothly, with Sync Playback to Display still set to Off (and I have a VERY critical eye - there is no judder at all). I don't get what's going on. So now I just leave everything set to a forced resolution of 23.98Hz, which is great for movies, but not so great for the interface. Log file is available at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ggkw_1v_4wdgu-73u-i2ti5gc76p70rh/view?usp=sharing; hardware details above. Thanks for any help

• videos with 29.97 fps frame rate are still jerky, even though the TV is verifiably set to 29.97Hz.

The 29.97 and 30Hz modes should not normally be used. Just leave 60, 59.94, 24 and 23.98Hz modes in the whitelist and remove 29.97/30Hz modes.

if I force 23.98Hz resolution, then the 29.97 fps videos play absolutely smoothly, with Sync Playback to Display still set to Off (and I have a VERY critical eye - there is no judder at all). I don't get what's going on

Is it a footage that was originally shot on film at 24 fps? My guess is that Inverse Telecine is going on. If it is a DVD with a so-called "soft-telecine" encode (a 24p encode with pulldown flags) - Kodi probably just ignores the pulldown flags when the HDMI output is forced to 23.98Hz. That's why you get a smooth playback.

Edited 8 times, last by smp (September 19, 2018 at 11:45 PM).

• I've removed the 29.97 and 30Hz modes from the whitelist, but now my 29.97 fps videos look really, really bad at 60Hz, as if half the frames are being dropped. All the other settings are unchanged. I don't know what the original source frame rate was for this video. Has something been changed with the Leia upgrade? This was all working fine in Krypton.

• Hello,

Just asking in case of - has your issue been fixed ?

I have similar problems here, even if I'm not using LibreElec...

I use Kodi v18 under Osx, and when I use the Netflix plugin the videos at 24fps are perfectly fluid and the videos at 23,976fps or 25fps are stuttering a bit... very strange.

Thanks !

• Im having huge problems with videos at 50 vor 60hz too. The audio video sync is so awfull you can not watch them. Videos are played too slow thats what it looks like.

Its the case with the first Beta that came out. With the last alpha version it was fine.

Im on a Nuc c8 i3.

Edit:

When im enabling syncing in Start/stop my 60hz files are working but the picture itself is slipping out of the corners, even in the menu. Im watching in an LG C8 OLED TV.

• Hello,

OK so I'm not the only one...

What versions are you talking about ?

The Leia RC5.2 ?

EDIT-

Ok I think it's not the same problem as it was resolved by enabling sync...

If the interface is too big you can configure that in the setup menu "video calibration"

• yes i could configure it manually but for now i was quite happy with it as it was.

Its at 0,0 0,0 and 1,000 and the image was just as big as it should be.

The thing is that the menu and everything matches again when i stop the playback. But when a video is running its far too big. Ive got the feeling that its even worse with the Beta 3 which i have installed today.

Can somebody confirm this?

Deactivated sync still leads to "stucking".

• Anyone who has an idea about it?

Im loosing about 3cm on every edge when the syncing is enabled. The problem is that i dont know exactly how to calibrate the screen without loosing space.

• +1 here. I am having exactly the same issue.

Here's an example of the behavior:

Let's say the refresh rate of an SD based movie (most of my movies are based on SD material) being started in LE is set to 1080p@50Hz (of course this resolution setting is whitelisted within LE).

To resolve this issue, while still playing the movie in background, I have to open the menu and set the exactly same resolution setting manually again which is already set. Then the TV screen turns black for a second, comes back and the picture goes smoothly as it should.

After struggling around for days now I was able to localize the problem: When I enable the the refresh rate display on the TV I can see, after starting the movie, the TV is showing a refresh rate of 30Hz when LE has set it to 50Hz. After setting the resolution on-the-fly manually as described above, the TV shows the correct refresh rate any everything is in-sync.

"Adjust Display Refresh Rate" is set to "always", but also "On Start/Stop" does not change anything according to this weird behavior.

Not sure if this is a LG OLED TV issue (LG GX55 in my case) as in this topic LG TVs were already mentioned or if it's a LibreELEC/Kodi issue.

Any suggestions on how to reslove or workaround this issue would be very appreciated.

• Guys, I finally have localized and resolved the problem. I will post the solution here as maybe and hopefully this will help others too, as the solution was very hard to find:

First of all I have to mention that I am using LibreELEC with multiple profile accounts, so this issue might not occur on everyone's LG TV. But basically my issue was based on the multi profile configuration itself.

One strange behavior that made me feel curious was that after starting LibreELEC, when reaching the login-screen where all user profiles are being offered, the TV was oddly showing a resolution of 3.840x2.160@30Hz when instead I had set a resolution of 1920×1080@50Hz in LibreELEC under Settings --> System --> Display --> Resolution within my personal profile setting. Plus I had limited the whitelist to the following three resolutions:

1920×1080@60Hz

1920×1080@50Hz

1920×[email protected]

Now the obvious question to me was: How can the TV get a resolution that is set nowhere in the LibreELEC environment?

So my next thought was that maybe LibreELEC would get the initial screen setting's resolution from the Master's user profile setting instead of my personal profile's setting (which would be curious to me as you have to enter the Master's user password everytime you want to navigate into LibreELEC's settings screen, which would indicate that those settings are being set globally (I learned it the hard way: they are not!).).

So I logged in with the Master's profile and there I mentioned that under Settings --> System --> Display --> Resolution there was not set anything:

So the next common thing I did was to insert the same settings as in my personal user's profile settings:

1920×1080@50Hz for resolution

and

whitelisted the following resolutions too:

1920×1080@60Hz

1920×1080@50Hz

1920×[email protected]

Rebootet LibreELEC and voilà, the login screen's resolution and refresh rate was in-sync with the TV's resolution display.

Now all stuttering caused by the TV's not being in-sync with the LibreELEC system is gone for all live TV shows and all movies I have tested so far.

Conclusion:

So in the end no suspicious and fancy TV setting (e.g. Upscaling, Cinemamode, Freesync, Instant Game Response, noise filter, or whatever) caused this stuttering issue. I was able to get the TV in-sync with the LibreELEC system temporarly when the resolution/refresh rate was being changed "on-the-fly" while playing the movie (oddly it did not get in-sync when just starting the movie even when Adjust Display Refresh Rate was set to always.), but this was not an acceptable workaround to me.

Even after login with my personal profile the resolution did not change from 3.840x2.160@30Hz to 1920×1080@50Hz though within my personal profile the setting under Settings --> System --> Display --> Resolution was set to 1920×1080@50Hz.

In the end the solution was found in a deeper way of configuration setting within LibreELEC which caused kind of an unpredictable behavior between LibreELEC and the LG TV because this setting's value was in an undefined state.

I am quite happy I found out how to resolve this annoying stuttering issue but still I am curious what exactly is causing this issue in the background of LibreELEC's and my TV's behavior.

Thinking back, in a way it makes sense that the initial login screen caused some issues becaused it's resolution state was just undefined. But then I don't understand why this caused further behavior issues like not being in-sync with the LG TV, even when starting to play a media file with a resolution change in-between.

Maybe some of you LibreELEC/Kodi cracks do have an obvious answer to this.

Salut!

EDIT:

I have now found the confirmation of my guessings here:

Upcoming Kodi 19 and profiles support

The obvious point is coming from the user DarrenHill where he mentions:

"Currently, if you're using the menu to select a profile (rather than having Kodi automatically open a specific profile), then that menu runs under the master profile.
    Hence if you have stuff configured under the master profile as well as other profiles, those configurations get loaded and then afterwards whatever you have in the other profile gets loaded once you select it.

So if you have items in the master that are not in the secondary profile, then those will still be used (if stuff is either just in the secondary profile or is in both, then the secondary entry will be used as it will overwrite the version in the master profile where it exists).

The trick is either to keep the master profile completely empty of all settings, or at least only put settings in there that you want to apply to all profiles. Most people make the mistake of using the master profile as just another profile, when in fact it's slightly different for those reasons. If you plan to use profiles at all, it needs to be handled as a special case."

This seems (mostly) to be true but if this is all the case I'm still curious why LibreELEC did not change from 3.840x2.160@30Hz to 1920×1080@50Hz after logging in with my personal profile where the default resolution was set to 1920×1080@50Hz.