S905x support, what is needed?

• I have tx3 pro 1 gb and tx5 2gb ,8g box?
    I have tried 007 build with sd card ,but get tty error when toothpick boot from sd card.
    Any advice which librelec build works in this tx3 pro and tx5 ?both are s905x.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Edited once, last by ram.khakurel (October 3, 2016 at 8:17 AM).

• S905X is not properly supported by .007. You need to search this thread for a working build, I will also post a build today with further fixes in booting procedure and a patch to make H.264 4K work.

Please do not cross-post. ;)

Edited once, last by kszaq (October 3, 2016 at 9:22 AM).

• S905X is not properly supported by .007. You need to search this thread for a working build, I will also post a build today with further fixes in booting procedure and a patch to make H.264 4K work.

Please do not cross-post. ;)

Thanks mate.will look for new release today.

• Thanks, for your reply!

This is not a solution as it breaks 4K H.264 for S905. Don't worry, I already made a patch that makes 4K H.264 working for both. :) This is the patch, not tested though: KhhG

I totally agree with you. I just do not need portability in my work.
    Unfortunately I did not find your patches before.

For VP9 support you need two things: basics to add am-vp9 support: gKdb and this probably won't work just like that. You also need some header parsing/feeding for Amlogic (I'm not sure how it works) - you need to look it up in package/multimedia/libplayer/src/amplayer/player/player_hwdec.c from buildroot: arm-buildroot-2016-08-18-5aaca1b35f.tar.gz and add it to Kodi.

I totally agree with you, again :) I added am-vp9 support and now trying to make correct header work.

• Hi Kszaq,

Since you've incorporated Balbes150's boot script, why is there the need for a dtb.img on the SD-card for the s905X soc's?
    As far as I understood Balbes's script tries to use the dtb.img from nand if there's no dtb.img on the SD partition...

So when there is still the original rom on the internal nand, wouldn't it be better to remove the dtb.img from the SD-card instead of using a generic one?

• Spekkie There is support for using Balbes' autoscript but you don't have to use it. My script also uses dtb.img from SD card first and then reads dtb from internal memory if there is no tree image on SD card.

There is one reason to use a new device tree: audio. Device trees from vendors most of the time don't have support for HD Audio and there is no bc_timer entry that is needed for stutter-free playback after latest kernel updates.
    [hr]
    Here's a new development build. I'm posting it here since it has mostly S905X-only fixes: changed booting procedure, fixed 4K H.264 playback (not tested, please report!) and one change to device tree that should fix audio - I missed one from @afl1's post.

2016-10-03-devel

Edited once, last by kszaq (October 3, 2016 at 8:32 PM).

• Spekkie There is support for using Balbes' autoscript but you don't have to use it. My script also uses dtb.img from SD card first and then reads dtb from internal memory if there is no tree image on SD card.

There is one reason to use a new device tree: audio. Device trees from vendors most of the time don't have support for HD Audio and there is no bc_timer entry that is needed for stutter-free playback after latest kernel updates.
    [hr]
    Here's a new development build. I'm posting it here since it has mostly S905X-only fixes: changed booting procedure, fixed 4K H.264 playback (not tested, please report!) and one change to device tree that should fix audio - I missed one from @afl1's post.

2016-10-03-devel

Hi Kszaq,
    I test ur new build released today with s905x fix in tx3 pro 1gb and tx5 both.
    In both sd card boot works fine.
    I run installtointernal script to install internal.when box reboots no libreelec. Just get error message.

Any idea.when i plug sd card and reboot ,works fine.
    Just internal boot dont work.

Edited once, last by ram.khakurel (October 3, 2016 at 11:25 PM).

• Great work, Kszaq. No more boot issues on my Mini M8S II using SD card and upated dtb.img. Playback of 4K H264 video contents went smoothly (tested with 120Mbps and 140Mbps Jelly fish and a BBC documentary). HD audio (140Mbps Jelly Fish is TrueHD) and CEC are also working.

Thanks again.

• Here's a new development build. I'm posting it here since it has mostly S905X-only fixes: changed booting procedure, fixed 4K H.264 playback (not tested, please report!) and one change to device tree that should fix audio - I missed one from @afl1's post.

2016-10-03-devel

kszaq

With this dev. build (as with earlier dev. builds), my live tv (tvheadend client) got audio problem. But other systems can stream tv channels from the box with no problems.
    Here is the logfile

My box is Nexbox A95X (S905X, 2/16gb)

Thanks for your works.

• Hey kszaq, thanks for your continued support!

I updated my Mini M8S II with your new build and I'm having issues with 1080p video + 5.1 Passthrough to a Receiver (SPDIF). I'm outputting to a 1080p TV btw.

I'm writing a 1080p movie to a USB 3.0 external HDD at about 11MB/s at the same time that I'm watching the movie. This should work fine as the HDD is more than capable. Anyway, everything's going fine for the first 5-10 minutes and suddenly the video starts freezing/resuming making it impossible to keep on watching. The buffer at this point is more than enough (I have half of the movie in the HDD by now) but it seems like it's buffering.

Any idea of what this might be? Is there any file I can provide to help you diagnose the issue?

Btw, I can't say if this happened with your previous builds since I didn't watch almost anything before.

Also, if I let it paused for a few minutes and then resume, the audio is completely out of sync. Don't know if that helps.

Edited once, last by dastinger (October 4, 2016 at 1:15 AM).

• Hi Ram. Looks like you have a different partition table than standard Amlogic. Can you please boot from SD and paste result of dmesg | paste? Please do a fresh boot (i.e.disconnect from power) before you collect this log.

kszaq

With this dev. build (as with earlier dev. builds), my live tv (tvheadend client) got audio problem. But other systems can stream tv channels from the box with no problems.
    Here is the logfile

My box is Nexbox A95X (S905X, 2/16gb)

Thanks for your works.

Have you updated your device tree? This has been mentioned before, you need to use a device tree that I provide to avoid audio issues.

• so if I already have a devel build installed I can just run 'dd if=path_to_new_device_tree of=/dev/dtb bs=256k'?
    Thanks to kszaq for all hard work, sounds like he's been busy!

• Hi Ram. Looks like you have a different partition table than standard Amlogic. Can you please boot from SD and paste result of dmesg | paste? Please do a fresh boot (i.e.disconnect from power) before you collect this log.

Have you updated your device tree? This has been mentioned before, you need to use a device tree that I provide to avoid audio issues.

Hi kszaq,
    Below above librelec boot from sd card .
    Dmesg for my tx3 pro s905x 1gb is NKJi

Dmesg for my tx5 s905x 2gb is
    eJTb

Appreciate ur work and hope u can help me install in nand .
    Thanks
    Ram

Edited once, last by ram.khakurel (October 4, 2016 at 7:27 AM).

• Hi, i'have kszaq previous build on my m8s II sdcard (2gb ram) can i upgrade to latest dev build or i have to do fresh install? Then i'd like to know is necessary replace default dtb.image with gxl_p212_2g.dtb ?
    Thankyou