Not bootable SD

• Hello,

I have created a bootable SD with the tool for a Raspberry Pi 3 but it does not boot.

When powering the RPi it displays the initial color gradient splash screen and nothing happens afterwards.

I have tried creating on Linux (Kubuntu 16.04) and Mac OS X (El Capitan).

Then I tried creating the SD with the Startup Disk Creator and the downloaded 8.2.0.1 image and same result.

Just to be sure that the SD itself is bootable I downloaded the Raspbian Lite image and again using Startup Disk Creator I got a bootable SD.

My conclusion is that the problem must come from the LE image but I am not sure.

Any help?

Thanks

Edited once, last by kamaron: I performed other tests (November 11, 2017 at 7:58 PM).

• The image I have downloaded with the LE tool is LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.2.0.1.img (selecting RPi2/3 devices).

For the test creating the bootable SD with the Ubuntu Startup USD/SD creator I directly downloaded LibreELEC-RPi2.arm-8.2.0.1.img.gz

And as I described, both produce the same non-booting problem.

Edited once, last by kamaron: Improving readability (November 13, 2017 at 10:36 AM).

• But as far as I see on Rufus web site it is for Windows and it creates bootable USB drives.

I have no Windows computer. I have Mac and Linux.

And the bootable device is for Raspberry 2/3 so it must be a SD card, no USB drive

• I'll ask the OP the other obvious question: are you sure you have a Raspberry Pi3?

You would not be the first person to think they have a Raspberry Pi3 when in fact the device is a Raspberry Pi1.

Can you confirm what is written on the PCB just below the GPIO header pins - the following image is of a Raspberry Pi3 Model B:

so your PCB should be similar. If not, then your device is not a Raspberry Pi3 but most likely a Raspberry Pi1.

Just to be sure that the SD itself is bootable I downloaded the Raspbian Lite image and again using Startup Disk Creator I got a bootable SD.

Alternatively, boot into Raspbian, and paste the contents of /proc/cpuinfo.

Note that, unlike LibreELEC, the same Raspbian image will boot both RPi1 and RPi2/RPi3.

Also, try a different SD card.

• Ooops!
    You are right milhouse !!
    I have several RPi all them in cases and I was 100% convinced that this one was one of my RPi3 but after opening the case I saw it was an old RPi1 B+ as you said.

I apologise for this silly mistake.

Thanks so much you all !