[8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

• GDPR-2 I have a MECOOL M8S PRO L and installed 8.90.3 and i tried to run netflix.

Installation of addon etc. went fine but the playback 720p is really dramatic, it stutters all the time

It looks like the CPU of my S912 can't handle SW decoding with inputstream.

Is this because of the S912 use the libhybris driver or something?

Cause my ODOID C2 S905 plays netflix 720p flawless.....

Thanks!

• You could Dual boot nexus ATV for Netflix, not a solution, but a workaround!

• I made another observation on my Mecool K3 Pro. With version 8.90.3 libreelec boot logo does not show up any more. Additionally, screens turns black after several hours (need to reboot). This is not the case with 8.90.2.

• Hi.

I have just updated to 8.90.3 from LibreELEC-S912.arm-9.0-devel-20180121004930-r27937-g2bfc164 and the screen appears something like divided into 4. I cannot use Kodi that way.

I reverted to LibreELEC-S912.arm-9.0-devel-20180121004930-r27937-g2bfc164 and everything went fine.

Here is the 8.90.3.

Here is the log for 9.0-devel

Thanks!

• It looks like the CPU of my S912 can't handle SW decoding with inputstream.

Is this because of the S912 use the libhybris driver or something?

Cause my ODOID C2 S905 plays netflix 720p flawless.....

Yes because the S912 is not running a native Linux Mali GPU video driver, there will be a performance hit when Software decoding and rendering.

It's one of the reasons why kszaq always had a warning about S912's.

Just Dual boot as suggested and use the much preferred Android TV Netflix App on the Pro L

• It’s just a set (probably 4k) resolution on boot. A few pages back you’ll find the ssh command to set the startup resourion to whatever you need, although it would be better imo to set a more widely used resolution as default so any not-so-tech-savvy user isn’t presented with a garbled screen.

/edit this is what i used. Ssh into the box and use:

fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p60hz

Edited once, last by atreyu (January 25, 2018 at 7:52 AM).

• Yes because the S912 is not running a native Linux Mali GPU video driver, there will be a performance hit when Software decoding and rendering.

It's one of the reasons why kszaq always had a warning about S912's.

Just Dual boot as suggested and use the much preferred Android TV Netflix App on the Pro L

thank you clarify.

The android tv netflix app is crap on my PRO L.

It looks like auto framerate switch isn’t working.

Resolution stays at 1080p 60hz wich will cause microstutter.

• It’s just a set (probably 4k) resolution on boot. A few pages back you’ll find the ssh command to set the startup resourion to whatever you need, although it would be better imo to set a more widely used resolution as default so any not-so-tech-savvy user isn’t presented with a garbled screen.

/edit this is what i used. Ssh into the box and use:

fw_setenv hdmimode 1080p60hz

Alpha version aren't for "not-so-tech-savvy".

• The android tv netflix app is crap on my PRO L.

It looks like auto framerate switch isn’t working.

Resolution stays at 1080p 60hz wich will cause microstutter.

That is the same on ALL Android TV devices - even the official ones like Shield and Mi Box.

You need to buy an Apple TV 4 / 4K if you want such frame rate matching/switching at an OS level for nearly all Apps like Netflix.

Works Well ! :thumbup:

• Fair point.

On another note, the 8.90 version series are just amazing.

The 8.2 versions are very good already, the beta builds bring much improvement for me, especially for live-tv.

Really looking forward to any future builds, you guys are doing fantastic work!

• Confirm.

You get what You pay for 8)

That is the same on ALL Android TV devices - even the official ones like Shield and Mi Box.

You need to buy an Apple TV 4 / 4K if you want such frame rate matching/switching at an OS level for nearly all Apps like Netflix.

Works Well ! :thumbup:

thanks i already own a apple TV4 but i think frame rate matching is only with the apple tv 4K.

There are no settings on my apple tv4 with frame rate matching.

Thanks guys! I’ll buy a ATV 4K!