Latest Libreelec for Rockchip RK3229

• Current testing has been done on RK3328 and RK3288, not RK3229, and there are no official releases for any RK devices. The proof of concept images for TinkerBoard etc. that are in circulation using Kodi Krypton are now discontinued as the developers working on RK support switched to Kodi Leia in recent weeks, i.e. there will be no further improvements/updates to the Krypton images.

• any updates

I have some V88 rk3229 boxes and I regret buying them

the $16 price I couldn't pass up

but seems to be very slow with kodi 17.6 I may try SPMC

but wanted to see if any Libreelec for this ?

thanks

• Here is a message about successfully running Debian Linux on RK3229 TV box:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I don't know is it true or not.

• Didn't know, that there are people who are interessted in this device besides me ;)

I did this GitHub - knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI some days ago ... If you know how to build LE, this is your thing.

Other than current LE buildsystem it uses (almost) latest Rockchip 4.4 kernel and (almost) latest mpp. Currently there are 4 supported TV boxes: a95rx1, hk1mini, d88 (hdmi-stick), v884k and v88mars. If your device isn't listed v88mars build should work on all devices ... LE is working great besides one very anyoing bug: Exactly 10 minutes after startup the screen starts flickering - you'll have to login via ssh a restart kodi - after that its running for days or weeks without interruption. It working soooooo much better and faster than android on these boxes ... comparable to Allwinner H3. Don't expect to much according to HEVC-4k-10bit streams ... its working but almost always the sound isn't in sync. 8bit works great ... and: no HDR at all

See https://github.com/knaerzche/libreelec.tv/tree/master/projects/rockchip/devices/rk322x for build instrucations

Edited once, last by knaerzche (December 5, 2019 at 2:09 AM).

• Didn't know, that there are people who are interessted in this device besides me ;)

I did this GitHub - knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI some days ago ... If you know how to build LE, this is your thing.

Other than current LE buildsystem it uses (almost) latest Rockchip 4.4 kernel and (almost) latest mpp. Currently there are 4 supported TV boxes: a95rx1, hk1mini, d88 (hdmi-stick), v884k and v88mars. If your device isn't listed v88mars build should work on all devices ... LE is working great besides one very anyoing bug: Exactly 10 minutes after startup the screen starts flickering - you'll have to login via ssh a restart kodi - after that its running for days or weeks without interruption. It working soooooo much better and faster than android on these boxes ... comparable to Allwinner H3. Don't expect to much according to HEVC-4k-10bit streams ... its working but almost always the sound isn't in sync. 8bit works great ... and: no HDR at all

See https://github.com/knaerzche/libreelec.tv/tree/master/projects/rockchip/devices/rk322x for build instrucations

Very interesting, must have been a lot of work.

I will try to built it.

I have a AP6255 wifi device so will try to see if an existing dtb works and try to modify it.

Hope you can fix the flickering, maybe updating to the latest kernel, libmali, drm fixes it?

Maybe there are also changes from joern-p that improves things on rk322x?

Joern-P (Jörn Petersen) / Repositories · GitHub

RK322x hardware unfortunately doesn't support HDR or fractional frequencies, otherwise it could have been the cheapest devices to run LibreELEC on with most features available.

• Hi mo123,

I just saw you created a build from your device here: mxq 4k rk3229

Woul be great if you could submit your work by creating a PR in my github repo. I took a quick look on you device-tree - from what I've seen so far:

You replaced the rk -ir-driver with the generic "gpio-ir-receiver" - which is great and I had it before - but: You cant use the suspend/resume-functions witch this driver- which is suppored by my tree (in contrast to current LE-Master-Tree) - that's why I'm using the rk one - the only ir currently supported is this baby: s-l1600.jpg - creating a new keymapping is straightforward, if you have a differend one.

I doubt that my tree will ever get merged in LE-Tree for supporting this device - when I find time I'm trying to get it merged in CE

• If you never submit your tree it will definitely never be included.. but the challenge with LE is that we've effectively dropped the Rockchip 4.4 kernel as mainline is now a viable target (and where we need to be for all the video/audio work to evolve). Have you done much investigation on what's needed to bump your tree to mainline?

• chewitt

I saw you did. As far as I'm concerned RK322x (with the exception of hdmi-ip-block and dram-controller) is a combination of RK3288 and RK3328 and it should be relativly easy to port it - when looking at rk322x.dtsi\dts\boot\arm\arch - kernel/git/mmind/linux-rockchip.git - Linux Rockchip kernel tree most (if not all) work is already done

For me at this point it makes no sense to port it now: current mainline does by far not support as much features as current rk-4.4-tree does. I'm not sure, if its that clever that a distro as LE switches to mainline so early - it's a political decision you made - in contrast to CE. Current LE-master tree is still using an almost 1.25 year old rk-4.4.-tree with A LOT enhancements/fixes from rk missing (my tree is more or less up to date)

Main problem for me at this point: They dropped the driver for dmc-controller in mainline - which means all features for dram-frequency-switching (at kernel time) is no available now and device will always run in the (propably very low) freq, at which it was initialised at boot time

Nevertheless: I will merge Kwiboo's-mainline tree in a branch and see whats happening ;)

mo123

Forget what I wrote about IR-Stuff: I never merged this change in my tree - what you did with ir is perfectly ok. I'm going to merge your changes (with a seaperate dts) in my tree.

Just saw that I have another RK322x-device with ap6212 wifi, I will try to get it working.

• If you can get ap6212 wifi working on your other device, it would be great.

Then most likely only the dts file gpio pin numbers for the wifi will need changing for my device which I already did.

• Main problem for me at this point: They dropped the driver for dmc-controller in mainline - which means all features for dram-frequency-switching (at kernel time) is no available now and device will always run in the (propably very low) freq, at which it was initialised at boot time

Please try the ddr blobs I just patched to hopefully init ddr at 786MHz speed at rk322x: add ddr v1.10 and miniloader v2.56 · Kwiboo/rkbin@c99ef00 · GitHub, I used the same technique on rk3328 ddr blobs to get a 786 and 933 MHz blob.

01 2C = 300

03 12 = 786