Posts by mo123

What does that mean? By "software", do you mean the default media player? (No loss there..)

Suppose I'd like to dual-boot Android TV and (legacy) LibreELEC images. Is running both off of 1 storage device possible/viable? The Radxa wiki provides an example image (ubuntu+android), for an older SBC that had onboard NAND. but I don't see any info how to prepare it, or if the process is applicable to the Rock Pi4, and it's quite old at this point.

For Hi10p, the manufacturers also have to modify the Android framework to broadcast to all video players that Hi10p is available, 99% of manufacturers don't implement this. What it means is that Hi10p won't work in any video player like Kodi, VLC, Nova or MxPlayer.

Luckily I fixed it in RockPi 4, Edge-V and RK3328, RK3229 firmwares I made. Without the changes, videos will play in 8-bit color with green, purple color artifacts and the picture will break up.

At the moment you have to use emmc and micro-sd but Rockchip is working on it so you can install 2 OS's on the same storage in future.

Widevine shows L3 so most apps can work. Widevine L1 is only available on closed-source devices with locked bootloaders.

You can also use Magisk to make your device Google Certified or use LibreELEC for 1080p Netflix.

mo123 Thanks. Totally forgot Android TV was an option for the SBCs as well. Will probably go for the Rock Pi, the Edge is nearly double the price here, and has lower specs.

Thanks for the tip, though I'll take my chances. User reports suggest that it is indeed working, at least on the Rockchip kernel. Just took a look at the current scene, and it seems most have migrated to H265, so that might become a strong requirement after all.

For Hi10p 10-bit Level 5.1 Anime videos, it is working on my AndroidTV firmware for RockPi with Kodi 18.

Actually Hi10p is supported on most Rockchip CPU's like RK3399, RK3328 and RK3229 but almost no manufacturer implements the software changes needed to play such files. LibreELEC images using the older 4.4 kernel also plays this format hardware decoded.

You can run Android from a micro-sd card or removable emmc storage, I'm also trying to make Android/LibreELEC boot from USB & NVME storage on the RockPi 4.

You can also look at the Khadas Edge-V or NanoPi.

But the RockPi 4B and NanoPi have the best cooling with their cases and heatsinks.

RockPi 4B also has the best Android Pie firmware(and Edge-V but the connectors are a problem since you need to remove the HDMI cable every time to access the micro-sd card slot, it only has 2 USB ports and you need to use a fan for better cooling).

NanoPi, RockPro64 only has Android 8 firmware that is very outdated but it's not a problem if you only want to use LibreELEC or Armbian.

For any device, a cheap $10 airmouse wifi remote works wonders.

With LibreELEC and the old 4.4 kernels all those things should work.

But for mainline only mpeg2, mpeg4, VP8, H264 is currently working with H265, VP9, HDR, 10-bit H264 coming later.

Thanks for the build.

I tried it today and although I was able to see mpeg4 hardware acceleration on some files, not all used it I noticed. I believe I saw msmepg4(SW) for one file, perhaps an older video format. No biggie.

But what was a showstopper for me on this build, was that I was unable to reboot and get back to the interface. I always had to unplug the power to get it working, was greeted with a "no signal" on both tv's I tried after a reboot. Also, when this happened, I couldn't ping the rock64 over the network. Not sure if I was doing something wrong, but I never experienced this with the official 9.2 build.

I don't want to sound unappreciative, I'm just reporting my findings. Thanks again for this.

Will check if I can do something else.

It would help a lot if you can send me test videos that don't work correctly.

If you still use Android, please check Nova Video Player, it has lots of optimisations for Rockchip devices.

You can also click multiple times on the video decode menu to then choose between several video decode methods, one might fix your problem.

Releases · nova-video-player/aos-AVP · GitHub

Also check Android Kodi if it has the same problem as LE.

Hi

Here are some new RK3328 images but on the older stable 4.4 kernel.

Added Mpeg4 hardware acceleration

Lots of other optimizations and kernel, mpp, rkbin updates

MVR9 with orange/red DPAD remote without numbered keys

MEGA

Bqeel, TICTID remote with numbered keys

MEGA

Rock64

MEGA

ROC-CC

MEGA

Can use it until mainline images have support for for 4K, HDR, 10-bit color & fractional frame-rates.

Hello Guys,

Great work on the support for this platform!

I however have an issue with mpeg4 decoding on my Rock64 (2gb). I'm currently using the official 9.2 build from (Rockchip – LibreELEC) and from what I understand mpeg4 decoding is done in software. I need to remain at kodi 18.x , are there any other build that have mpeg4 hw enabled and are at 18.x?

Many thanks for all the hard work...

The rk3229 images posted recently have mpeg4 hardware acceleration added.

I'll try to see if I can build a RK3328 image from that code.

Can you send me a mpeg4 sample video you have problems with then I can test it on rk3229 and rk3328?

If you can get ap6212 wifi working on your other device, it would be great.

Then most likely only the dts file gpio pin numbers for the wifi will need changing for my device which I already did.

Hi Chewiit.

Thanks a lot for your explanation.

Since your post has been around for a long time, I'd just like to know if anything has changed: I shouldn't find an image for LibreELEC for RK3229, ok?

You can check if the RK322x LibreELEC I built can work on your device.

Wifi and ir remote might not work if your device is different.

Set the UI to 720p for better performance.

It is based on this repo - GitHub - knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI

MEGA

Confirmed working

- 10-bit H264/H265 video playback support
    - Mpeg2/H264 Deinterlacing working
    - Mpeg2, Mpeg4, H264, H265, VP9 all working
    - Ethernet support
    - IR Remote support
    - Auto frame-rate switching support

Didn't know, that there are people who are interessted in this device besides me ;)

I did this GitHub - knaerzche/LibreELEC.tv: Just enough OS for KODI some days ago ... If you know how to build LE, this is your thing.

Other than current LE buildsystem it uses (almost) latest Rockchip 4.4 kernel and (almost) latest mpp. Currently there are 4 supported TV boxes: a95rx1, hk1mini, d88 (hdmi-stick), v884k and v88mars. If your device isn't listed v88mars build should work on all devices ... LE is working great besides one very anyoing bug: Exactly 10 minutes after startup the screen starts flickering - you'll have to login via ssh a restart kodi - after that its running for days or weeks without interruption. It working soooooo much better and faster than android on these boxes ... comparable to Allwinner H3. Don't expect to much according to HEVC-4k-10bit streams ... its working but almost always the sound isn't in sync. 8bit works great ... and: no HDR at all

See https://github.com/knaerzche/libreelec.tv/tree/master/projects/rockchip/devices/rk322x for build instrucations

Very interesting, must have been a lot of work.

I will try to built it.

I have a AP6255 wifi device so will try to see if an existing dtb works and try to modify it.

Hope you can fix the flickering, maybe updating to the latest kernel, libmali, drm fixes it?

Maybe there are also changes from joern-p that improves things on rk322x?

Joern-P (Jörn Petersen) / Repositories · GitHub

RK322x hardware unfortunately doesn't support HDR or fractional frequencies, otherwise it could have been the cheapest devices to run LibreELEC on with most features available.

The Tinkerboard doesn't support fractional frequencies since it uses a soc that was released in 2014 that doesn't have the hardware support for it.

You will only get 24, 25, 30, 50, 60hz playback support.

You can try to use an advancedsettings xml file to force 23.976hz to 24hz or enable sync to display in Kodi/LibreELEC's settings.

To use fractional frequencies, you need a RK3328 or RK3399 device.

Hi

Testing on RockPi 4 RK3399

Working

- Mpeg2, H264

Not working

- Wifi, bluetooth (Is working on Manjaro Linux with 5.3 kernel)

- 10 Bit Color H264/H265

- Fractional frequencies 23.976, 29.97, 59.94hz not available

- HDR

- SD Xvid/Divx videos have corrupted blocks during playback

What is the new Boot Android from emmc options?

I already posted several LibreELEC builds for MVR9, Rock64, ROC CC with 720p Netflix software decoding support.

But seems no one even uses it. Search for it in the forums.

Devices like the RockPi 4 RK3399 can even decode 1080p Netflix in LibreELEC with my image.

Hi

I fixed the audio jack problem.

You will have to wait until I build a new image in a day or 2, then you can test if it works.

Everyone getting crackling audio

Please post LibreELEC debug logs if you can, then it can help Rockchip to look into the issue faster and determine the cause.

What happens if using interactive governor?