Mainline U-boot for Rockchip Devices?

• Anyone working on a newer u-boot for Rockchip devices?

I see LibreELEC still uses u-boot from 12 Sep 2018, stock Rockchip u-boot which is very ancient.

A year ago I tested u-boot 2021.04 and everything worked fine on RK3399 ROC-PC-PLUS, RK3328 ROC-PC, RockPi 4.

With current 2018 u-boot, RK3328 ROC-PC which is already in mainline kernel and merged into LibreELEC kernel package, can't boot since it needs 'rock64-rk3328_defconfig' and 2018 u-boot only has evb-rk3328_defconfig which is unbootable on it.

Armbian already uses 2021.07 u-boot and all supported Rockchip devices seem to work fine with it.

Perhaps it's packages and patches can be used by LE?

It's sad to see only Amlogic, Allwinner, Samsung, NXP devices' u-boot being updated.

A newer u-boot will probably also be needed when RK356x devices get initial LE support later.

• mo123 the number of "developers" truly working on each SoC type is measured in fingers not hands. The support for upstream is probably there in u-boot now, or with only minor gaps, but it needs someone to go-through each of the major SoC generations and run proper tests or coordinate the testing with people who have the hardware. It's not an insurmountable task, but people have limited time. All volunteers and input on the topic would be welcome :)

• mo123 as someone in the last 18 months who has learnt the ropes on what is required to maintain the packages for a distribution (and the occasional other bits and pieces) a challenging - but rewarding investment of time. As you you will have seen in my Kernel / u-boot PRs started out getting a build system together and the list of tests… then a lot of test / update. Even a patch into 5.17-rc6 to fix the Qualcomm build issue.. For packages spending time testing pre-releases, discussing, fixes to and testing upstream, so that we can use the released versions. For the RK - happy to test against RK3308, RK3399pro, RK3568, RK3388 - though only have the 3308 on my desk at the moment… might be an excuse to get the others back on my desk.