Rock Pi4 Plus

• Hello :)

I'm going to buy Rock Pi4 Plus (4GB RAM / 32GB eMMC). Are there any major problems with libreELEC on this device? I care most about 4K HDR playback along with HD Audio passthrough to my AVR (Dolby Atmos, DTS HD, DTS X).

I'm going to buy Rock Pi4 Plus (4GB RAM / 32GB eMMC). Are there any major problems with libreELEC on this device? I care most about 4K HDR playback along with HD Audio passthrough to my AVR (Dolby Atmos, DTS HD, DTS X).

That only works in Android Kodi.

LE has no support for HD Audio passthrough for Rockchip and no one is working on it. which is sad.

• Right now there's really only one developer working on Rockchip (others had to step back for personal reasons) and people have lives outside of fiddling with kernel drivers and their own sense of skillsets and where focus needs to be. There's also a lot of collaboration happening on hardware video decoders (V4L2-requests needs to work on three different SoCs we support) so it makes sense to be involved and contribute there. Meanwhile PCM audio is working and good-enough until time frees up for other things.

• That only works in Android Kodi.

LE has no support for HD Audio passthrough for Rockchip and no one is working on it. which is sad.

AFAIK there is Android 10 for Rock Pi4C. Is this version of A10 with the KODI installation from the play store will be enough for my needs? Or do I still have to install any codecs?

There is one significant issue on the LibreELEC 10 (and nightlies LE11) on the RK3399 SBC, intermittent clicks in sound when hardware decoding is enabled. The RK3399 has a very powerful VPU that can decode h264 10-bit (this is a killer feature for me), it's a pity that only one person is working on the Rockchip SOC.

• I'm going to buy Rock Pi4 Plus (4GB RAM / 32GB eMMC). Are there any major problems with libreELEC on this device?

I submitted the device tree for this new variant recently (having one myself) and it will be part of linux 5.15 - I backported it to 5.14 and it will be in LE after [Allwinner,Generic,Rockchip] linux: Update to 5.14 by heitbaum · Pull Request #5558 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub - however the device will have to be added - no problem I could report of.

This is not limited to Rockchip.

From what I have understand: upstream kernel and/or alsa libs currently do not provide the interfaces at least for dw-hdmi to implement passthough which is used for Amlogic, Allwinner and Rockchip (and some more) - as soon there is a solution for any of those - there will be one for Rockchip (one of the massive advantages upstream development has)

There is one significant issue on the LibreELEC 10 (and nightlies LE11) on the RK3399 SBC, intermittent clicks in sound when hardware decoding is enabled.

You've repeatedly said this now - could you please stop complaining and provide any proof, logs (pastekodi), example videos, whatever for us to reproduce this? Thanks!

it's a pity that only one person is working on the Rockchip SOC.

While this might be true for LE - its certainly not true for Rockchip kernel devlopment overall: There are hunderts of developer working for/on Rockchip SoCs upstream kernel including "opensource companies" like collabora (LE team has good contacts to some of those devs), Rockchip employees (what is relativly unique for a fabless chinese ARM SoC vendor, at least for those used in LE), and LOTS of contributors (like me) - which we automatically benift from here - just check Rockchip maling lists (those can be used for reporting bugs also, btw.) Though, their priorities, what to do next, might not always match yours.

• installed latest stable 11.0.1 onto my NanoPC-T4(RK3399) yesterday. Everything is perfect except the audio passthrough.

There is no passthrough options in settings->system->audio.

AVR is Denon X540BT