Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• All S905, S905X boxes are not created equal - its not just WiFi/Bluetooth, but heatsinks, faster and higher quality RAM and Samsung eMMC flash storage.

Properly tested u-boot code. High quality wireless, integrated remotes.

Problem:

User A bought a Box XXX and it´s working perfect - high quality ram and eMMC ....

User B bought the same Box XXX - got fake ram, cheap wifi, bad quality ram ...

User C ......

Hint:

Buy a 905x box from serious seller -> bad quality -> return to seller

• It´s impossible to answer.

Most 905x boxes using same hardware - some manufacturer using cheap wifi/bluetooth chipset.

I own 2 beelink boxes(see signature) - everything is working oob - no problem to install LE via toothpick.

Wired network is only fast ethernet - I use a GBit USB dongle.

Thanks for the advice and availability.

As you told me the s905x cpu boxes seem to me all the same, I did not find a box with s905x that stands out for quality of construction. Perhaps the best boxes with s905x are the MECOOL M8S Pro + and the Beelink MINI MXIII II that you have. Actually, wifi for me is not important, I have a folder where there are all the video files shared in samba. Then (with s905x) I found these models: M96X Pro 4K, M96X VBOX, MEMOHI UFO MEMOHI, Zidoo A5S, M9S Z8, Qbox, mini M8S II, Bqeel M9C Max.

Edited 2 times, last by marck120 (September 21, 2017 at 3:43 PM).

• Actually that is not even true.

All S905, S905X boxes are not created equal - its not just WiFi/Bluetooth, but heatsinks, faster and higher quality RAM and Samsung eMMC flash storage.

Properly tested u-boot code. High quality wireless, integrated remotes.

Have a read over on the cnx-software.com & Freaktab websites where they pull these boxes apart and you can soon see the difference in internal hardware used.

Depends on how much you want to spend in the end and how important reliability and something that just "works" is to each individual.

Boxes with s905 as building quality are better at boxes with s905x ? In fact, among the boxes with the s905 there is the minix u1 that stands out from all the boxes, it has excellent hardware, good wifi and a quality remote, followed by wetet play 2, but with s905x i have not managed find a quality box, do you know some quality boxes with the s905x ?

• For everyone who searching for a good minimalist and functional replacement of the stock IR-remote. I want to recommend this RF-remote, IMHO, it fits much better for LE-based tv-box.

pros: same handy shape as Xiaomi BT remote, twice cheaper than it, IR-learning power button, no useless accelerometer and voice functions, good enough build quality, nice feedback from buttons;

cons: own RF-reciever, noisy clicky buttons, useless mouse emulation button;

For me, learning power button is a killer feature, because i can easely power-on the box with same remote (TV turns on automatically through CEC). Also this remote can be used with "longperss" parameter in Kodi keymaps. For example, i remapped ordinary (non-IR) power button to "Mute" (method was decribed here), and set its longpress to power menu. Also i can use predefined Kodi longpress shortcuts: long-OK for play/pause, long-UP for switching audio stream, long-Down for switching subtitles etc. Try it, this remote definitely worth its price!

• A little bit of doubt, if I take the Beelink MINI MXIII II with the Minix A2 lite remote control, the remote control buttons will all work on libreelec ? play, pause, rewind, back, forward, miss that stop button.

• Could anybody recommend a good box for me please I currently have a m8s pro s912 3gb but it does not have optical audio out

It must be:

4k 10bit hdr compatible

Able to passthrough Dolby and dts via optical audio out

able to run libreellec

• Hi Tim,

Can you share your remote.conf for the Beelink mini mxiii-ii s905x 2/32 gb box?

And if possible information about all the mapped keys and there function.

Many thanks!

• I thank you for the explanations, I will have to study the guide, unfortunately with google translator is very difficult, I speak only Italian. Does this work on all remote controls ? I'm going to take the minix A2 lite remote control.

• Mapping keys will work on all remote controls, but it´s a DIY project.

I don´t know about minix A2 lite remote :(

DY is the developer's name ? Do you use the original Beelink mini mxiii-ii remote control ?

We also hope to have fun on the minix A2 lite, I would not spend 25 euros on the remote and then I do not work the buttons.

Does not there exist a remote control with the keys already configured and ready for use for libreelec ?

Can this work on libreelec ?

B01ECU11DI

• All the Wireless remotes I've used send out Keyboard commands.

Remotes like the MINIX A2 lite will not have all buttons mapped for example but that is easily fixed with Kodi's Keymap Editor Addon - and then you can really personalise the buttons to whatever you want.

Using the Keymap Editor Addon - remote buttons can be mapped to have dual use functionality too, and do one thing when playing Fullscreen video and then have another function for all other parts of Kodi. Its all pretty flexible.

• Would you recommend a S905 instead of the S905x? If so which one would you buy? There are almost 1000 different manufacture with the S905 Chipset :(.... Belink ... Wingogo.... I have no clue which one to choose :(

I would suggest you to go for S905X box which has received comparatively more positive reviews from users.