Choosing a S905 / S905X / S905D / S905W / S912 box guide

• it has been a while since i dropped in here asking this question, have been wondering how things are now..., if i might ask chewitt , status on the s912, last i can remember is that after it was being cursed upon for a long time a solution for the missing fbdev mail libraries was developed in using libhybris and android gralloc mali drivers. is this still the case? i seem to remember something about an opensource driver being developed for the s912, did that development succeed?I think this was called panfrost?

Edited once, last by dipswitch ().

• In the last 24h panfrost scored it's first "all green" graphics test run on the T820 chip used in the S912 and there are now some Khadas VIM2 boards plumbed into the mesa CI lab to ensure continuous testing of future changes. We are also in the process of switching our Allwinner and Rockchip images over to panfrost. We also found a source for the Linux T820 blobs (albeit not a redistributable one) but with panfrost in a good state I'm no longer chasing the permission to release the files. I'm sure panfrost still has some bugs, but simply being able to real-time chat with developers who are friendly and keen to solve problems is .. the total opposite of using blobs. It's a one-way journey :)

• Great to hear! Always enlightening to read your explanations, makes things a bit more understandable. Could the succesful development of panfrost mean that we possibly can expect future LE release on mainstream linux with support for s905x2 - s905x3 - s922 ? This all seems a huge task. Is there any prediction when all this magic will be reality?

Will s905* will be supported in future LE releases? (still going strong, great soc!)

• Panfrost does not currently support the Mali G31/52 (Bifrost) chips used in G12A/G12B/SM1 hardware and I don't see that changing for a while yet. It's not an issue though as we have all the required blobs and can use those; hence we are shipping two images (AMLGX with lima/panfrost and AMLG12 with blobs) which are working on a range of newer hardware. There are no plans to drop support for S905 and up devices but it is a large task and developers have proper jobs and families so progress comes as it comes; we're not forcing the schedule. We will push a master branch bump to Linux 5.4.x soon; although there are ongoing changes to the video decoding drivers that need corresponding changes to Kodi/ffmpeg so our master branch will not be as usable as Linux 5.2/5.3 was for a while.

• Panfrost does not currently support the Mali G31/52 (Bifrost) chips used in G12A/G12B/SM1 hardware and I don't see that changing for a while yet. It's not an issue though as we have all the required blobs and can use those; hence we are shipping two images (AMLGX with lima/panfrost and AMLG12 with blobs) which are working on a range of newer hardware. There are no plans to drop support for S905 and up devices but it is a large task and developers have proper jobs and families so progress comes as it comes; we're not forcing the schedule. We will push a master branch bump to Linux 5.4.x soon; although there are ongoing changes to the video decoding drivers that need corresponding changes to Kodi/ffmpeg so our master branch will not be as usable as Linux 5.2/5.3 was for a while.

Great news! But wat a huge task. And to think that all this is being accomplished by volunteers coding in their spare time, awesome.

Am i right to assume that s802 - s805 - s812 are being considered obsolete?

• Amlogic's "Meson 8" platform (S802/805/812) shares a lot of IP with the GXBB (first generation S905) hardware so support in the mainline kernel is in reasonable shape (bootable and usable) apart from a lack of an HDMI driver which is fundamental for mediacentre use. One of the kernel maintainers Martin Blumenstingl continues to poke away at the Meson 8 codebase and (coincidentally) in the last week he got CVBS output working. As long as he continues his efforts I'm confident there will eventually be a Eureka! moment with HDMI that allows us to consider adding back support (and even if we don't do something official - for community images to exist) but until that happens LE 9.0 is the end of the line for those devices. Meson 6 (8726MX) support in the mainline kernel is almost non-existent and those devices are considered obsolete.

• One of the kernel maintainers Martin Blumenstingl continues to poke away at the Meson 8 codebase and (coincidentally) in the last week he got CVBS output working. As long as he continues his efforts I'm confident there will eventually be a Eureka! moment

I hope he doesn't lose courage with poking around to get hdmi working especially now we have lima in mainline. I still have the impression the S812 is more powerfull then the S905.

• S812 has quite a bit more grunt than S905 but .. not much use without the HDMI driver. Fingers crossed..