[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• Yes, I know, you're right. I was planning to use this TV Box as an additional audio source just for comfort. :)

I have a PC configured as source for hi-res audio, FiiO E17K Alpen 2 DAC/headamp > Grado SR225e as mobile setup and Rokna RD-2 DAC > Exposure amp > Odyssey Nightingale loudspeakers.

Edited 3 times, last by racko (November 22, 2017 at 6:13 PM).

• Hey guys, I know people ask questions about cheap s905x boxes all the time, so sorry in advance. I was hoping that maybe someone had run into this before, or might have something else I can try.

I'm using Sammix R95's with s905x 2GB/8GB (also have the R95S with 2GB/16GB), and the only dtb I can get to boot is the original that comes in img.gz, which works perfect, except it only sees 1GB of memory. Any of the gxl_p212_2g dtb's the box will hang on boot. Any ideas what I can try? They are an easy one to load, as they boot from USB with only the reset button held, and only require the image to be written to internal memory once. I was using the Tanix TX5's before, but you always have to run installtointernal twice.

Thanks in advance!

• ... I need to output two channels audio stream at its original bit depth and sample rate, without resampling.

Here are the my settings to guarantee output Stereo 44-192 without resampling (bitperfect) via SPDIF TOSLINK. (pic1, pic2)

For tests it is possible to record force output in 192kHz (pic3) "Output configuration - Fixed"

upd.

As 192/24 files you transferred to the player? From network?

I have from the HDD-USB or Flash-USB. To experiment try the same.

• Here are the my settings to guarantee output Stereo 44-192 without resampling (bitperfect) via SPDIF TOSLINK. (pic1, pic2)

For tests it is possible to record force output in 192kHz (pic3) "Output configuration - Fixed"

upd.

As 192/24 files you transferred to the player? From network?

I have from the HDD-USB or Flash-USB. To experiment try the same.

So ...

I've tried with the same settings as yours (and "Best match"), no sound for 24/192.

With "Output configuration - Fixed" and "Limit sample rate" - 192KHz", no sound at all. Everything ok with any limit sample rates below 192KHz.

My music library is on a Synology NAS, both TV Box and NAS are wired to my local network. I've tried right now with an HDD-USB, same results.

But ... this is an interesting part. I tried again with my old media player, which I used before and I had a surprise (I don't know yet if it's a bad or a good one. :D ).

As I said, my old media player was able to output bit-perfect up to 24-bit/192KHz over optical digital.

Now, the audio stream is played but resampled as follows, it's a mess: :D

- 44.1KHz > 44.1KHz

- 88.2KHz > 44.1KHz

- 96KHz > 48KHz

- 192KHz > 48KHz

Now I'm wondering if something happened with my optical cable when I changed the cables to the new media box. It's an old optical cable but I didn't had any reason to change it. I'm thinking to buy a new one, maybe this is the problem.

But, there are other question marks. If the optical cable is faulty but still passes audio stream, there should be an audible sound for 24/192, even downsampled. But my DAC doesn't show anything, all four LED's which are showing the sample rate are off and I don't have sound at all. And it's also interesting the same cable it's working correctly up to 96Khz on with the new tv box. In this case, maybe the optical transmitter of my old media player has broken. Or both transmitter and optical cable are faulty. :D So, I don't know, there are a few variables here ... I need to see how to figure it out. I think I'll try with a new optical cable first, I don't have any other idea at this moment.

Tager , thank you very much your efforts and help, I really appreciate it. :)

P.S. I also asked, on the official Minix forum, if there is some kind of limitation regarding the optical digital output on Neo U1. Nobody from the company staff answered to my question till now ...

Edited once, last by racko (November 23, 2017 at 9:45 AM).

• racko Audio capabilities can be limited by analog audio chip which is present in Minix U1 (gives you higher quality analog audio) and all S905X/S912 devices. This is a software limitation, a result of how kernel driver is implemented by Amlogic. If you don't mind losing analog audio, you can try using gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_OTG_Port device tree on your Minix U1 which would omit analog audio in output path and might result in higher resolution optical out.

• racko Audio capabilities can be limited by analog audio chip which is present in Minix U1 (gives you higher quality analog audio) and all S905X/S912 devices. This is a software limitation, a result of how kernel driver is implemented by Amlogic. If you don't mind losing analog audio, you can try using gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_OTG_Port device tree on your Minix U1 which would omit analog audio in output path and might result in higher resolution optical out.

, I don't know how to say it ... it's woooooorking!!! Finally!!! I have 24/192 over optical digital output! Yessir! I'm so happy ... :)

@kszaq, chapeau! A big, big thank you!

So, just to be sure I understood correctly ...

With this device tree, the analog audio chip is bypassed and, because of this, the analog input (mic) and output (phones) from Minix Neo U1 are not working anymore. It's correct? If this is the only change, I don't mind and I really don't care because I don't use them anyway.

Thank you again to all of you for help and support! :thumbup:

P.S. Tager, just for my curiosity, I assume your boxes with Amlogic S905 are also having analog audio and this didn't affected digital audio in your case ...

• With this device tree, the analog audio chip is bypassed and, because of this, the analog input (mic) and output (phones) from Minix Neo U1 are not working anymore. It's correct? If this is the only change, I don't mind and I really don't care because I don't use them anyway.

Yes, analog audio chip is bypassed. Also RTC is not working with generic device tree.