[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• What would be the benefits of installing on NAND vs. SD,

apart from the write speed gain?

Is it that crucial, once all Kodi services are loaded?

For example:

• 20.4MB/s - SD card
    • 118.5MB/s - NAND

And if Kodi storage has to be moved to SD card, because NAND size cannot (wouldn't) handle it,

doesn't that stultify the purpose of NAND install?

• Not true. You need to make your box boot once into recovery/update mode to execute aml_autoscript that modifies "normal" boot procedure and makes the box go back to "normal" mode. The script makes your box look for kernel and dtb on SD card before booting from internal. If you install LE to internal, the box keeps doing that, so if anything goes wrong with internal installation, you can still boot from SD card (unless you reset uenv). I will try to add this explanation to HOWTO at some point.

None that I know of.

You don't have to solder - I am using a "pogo" cable to connect a USB-to-Serial adapter:

Ok, so basically if I run once an SD with Libreelec, the boot process is modified such the SD is always the first boot medium, even if I "reboot from internal" is selected, or if I am running Libreelec installed on internal, right?

Sorry to bother you, but one extra question: when the SD is looked for first boot, also a recovery.img (like TWRP) is launched if present, or only dtb.img and kernel.img?

• Ah so actually the black screen after stopping in 3D is not a crash! It makes sense because I can power off the box with remote :) I will try to test the testbuild on my 3D setup as soon as I can (hopefully tomorrow)

Yep was the same for me the remote still worked for a power down. But blank screen and no sound.

Anyway kszak have to thank you and congratualte y ou as the auto 3D switching now workls perfectly with your test build. Only moveis and clips in 3D that do not auto set just stay SBS screen but can change that withthe 3D glasses icon at the bottom of the screen and the KODI menus stay in 3D. Must be movies without the coding for saying hey I am a 3D movie.

Is this 3D fix test build teh 8.1.4 version with the 3D fix by the way ???

So grateful to you kszak. As I now have a few coffee beans in, I am just about to send you a nice well deserved cuppa. :)

• I really don't known where NAND crept into the AML S905/S905X thread because most S9xx devices actually use the faster eMMC storage.

WeTek are the culprits I think with their erroneous Dual Boot NAND Splash screen.

eMMC peoples eMMC

• New test build: Index of /s905/8.2/test/20170817/

Things to test:

• patched platform_init in hope to fix no LE splash screen
    • added 1360x768 HDMI resolution (not tested, no screen with that resolution to test)
    • non-linear stretch for hardware decoded videos.

So, I have tested this build

The splash screen is fixed, but only if you have this build running on the system. I have tried two upgrade in a row, and the first one, coming from a 8.1.4 build didn't show any splash screen, nor any upgrade info.

1360x768 HDMI resolution is not available in the resolutions list. The TV, a SyncMaster 933HD is 1360x768 native (see here: Samsung SyncMaster 933HD Plus Specs - CNET), but I am not sure if it is a problem with the reported HDMI resolution or what, for sure in VGA it support such resolution, I tried it in the past with a PC.

Where can I check which resolutions the TV report?

For the non-linear stretch, I have not tested it (not sure how do it)

Bye

• I have shortly made some benchmark comparing eMMC and microSD (Mini M8S II).

16GB eMMC:

read 43,1MB/s

write 19,9MB/s

16GB Lexar microSD (LSDMI16GBBEU633A):

read 50,8MB/s

write 24,3MB/s

For the Mini M8S II mediaplayer I see no reason why moving LE to internal.

• Ok, so basically if I run once an SD with Libreelec, the boot process is modified such the SD is always the first boot medium, even if I "reboot from internal" is selected, or if I am running Libreelec installed on internal, right?

"Reboot from internal" option is there to bypass booting from SD one time. After you perform LE "installation" (reboot with toothpick etc.), boot order is as follows:

1. Look for kernel.img at SD card and boot it if present. Use dtb.imb from SD card or /dev/dtb (internal memory) if not present on SD card.
    2. Look for kernel.img at USB drive and boot it if present. Use dtb.imb from USB drive or /dev/dtb (internal memory) if not present on USB drive.
    3. Boot from internal memory.

Source script for this: LibreELEC.tv/aml_autoscript.src at libreelec-8.2 · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv · GitHub

Sorry to bother you, but one extra question: when the SD is looked for first boot, also a recovery.img (like TWRP) is launched if present, or only dtb.img and kernel.img?

No, this is done if you press "reset" button or choose "reboot recovery". Basically the same procedure as above except that u-boot looks for recovery.img and aml_autoscript before it. Example source (note that manufacturers tend to modify it): u-boot/gxb_p200_v1.h at Nougat · khadas/u-boot · GitHub

Is this 3D fix test build teh 8.1.4 version with the 3D fix by the way ???

Yes, you can safely use it as a daily driver. The fix will be included in 8.1.5.

So grateful to you kszak. As I now have a few coffee beans in, I am just about to send you a nice well deserved cuppa.

Thank you so much - as always. :)

I really don't known where NAND crept into the AML S905/S905X thread because most S9xx devices actually use the faster eMMC storage.

Yet there are still devices using NAND. I wish there weren't, I'd be able to drop the NAND driver blob. :(

Where can I check which resolutions the TV report?

cat /sys/class/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/disp_cap but this info might not show this resolution. I've added the patch to test it later myself, not sure how it works (yet).

• This is what I get from the TV (the one supposed to support 13766x768):

480p60hz

576p50hz

720p60hz

1080i60hz

1080p60hz

720p50hz*

1080i50hz

1080p30hz

1080p50hz

1080p25hz

1080p24hz

• Hi all,

I have a question : I'm trying to get this add-on "screensaver Matrix trails" working on my S905x wit LE 8.1.4 installed on NAND but so far no luck.

I have tried the release zip, the clone zip but no success, Kodi refuses to install the add-on.

The log only shows this:

Code
    07:47:44.164 T:4099760128   ERROR: Failed to read 'zip://%2fstorage%2fdownloads%2fscreensaver.matrixtrails-1.1.0.zip/screensaver.matrixtrails-1.1.0/addon.xml'

07:47:53.304 T:4099760128   ERROR: Failed to read 'zip://%2fstorage%2fdownloads%2fscreensaver.matrixtrails-master.zip/screensaver.matrixtrails-master/addon.xml'

What am I missing? Something needs to be compiled? Thanks for your help.

• kszaq about the previous stuttering i reported on previous build 8.1.3 i am not seing it anymore did you change something about this ob 8.1.4? Indeed i am with a new issue i use live tv throught openvpn tunnel (zomboided) and with it connected on 8.2 builds i am having macro blocking that doesnt happen on last 8.0. Any ideas?

Thanks

• I had a usb wifi adapter working fine the last few days but the power went out and the box rebooted now i get no wifi from either the adapter or the on board. Tried toggling the wireless networks in the libreelec configuration but still no connections show up. There is an error in the kodi log though

Code
    11:49:53.035 T:2866475936   ERROR: ## LibreELEC Addon ## connman::refresh_network ## ERROR: (DBusException('Not supported',))
    11:49:53.036 T:2866475936   ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                  File "/home/kszaq/ocz/le-master/build.LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.2-devel/LibreELEC-settings-4f81a2d/.install_pkg/usr/share/kodi/addons/service.libreelec.settings/resources/lib/modules/connman.py", line 1088, in refresh_network
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 70, in __call__
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 145, in __call__
                                                  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 651, in call_blocking
                                                DBusException: net.connman.Error.NotSupported: Not supported

Do i need to disable on board wifi if i want to use the usb adapter? If so, how to