[8.2.3.1] LibreELEC 8.2 for S905/S905X

• The MeCool M8S Pro Plus for less than $40 US is the best Amlogic S905X box on the market now. This MeCool M8S Plus is about as close to perfection as you can get. One button brings up the Chrome web browser (typing on it now), another button takes me back to the home screen.
    It plays Netflix in 1080P with DD+ and YouTube in 4K, my live TV streams play flawlessly, including the interlaced mpeg2 streams.
    Kodi plays my BluRay rips perfectly with HD audio.
    Edit: All this for $38 US, with free shipping.

Was this bit really necessary? All that's missing is the link in that ad ^^

• Was this bit really necessary? All that's missing is the link in that ad ^^

In the last 4 years, I have/had more than 2 dozen of these Inexpensive Chinese boxes, and this is the best by far. My first Amlogic device was a stick, MK808B Plus, and ran Kszaq's OpenELEC port on it. It was my Tvheadend server (whole home DVR) for two or three years. Now, I am running my Tvheadend server on my Beelink MiniMX 3 (Amlogic S905), and use it as one of my main media players. I also have an X9 (Amlogic S905X), running LibreELEC.

I also have many more expensive Android boxes, but this MeCool box, is the best of the bunch, especially for that price. It plays my live TV streams better than my Nexus Player or Xaiomi Mi box.

I have no affiliation with any manufacture or seller, just an addiction for these Android boxes.

• Thank you all for your suggestion.

I ordered a Mini M8S II. The anoying thing with it is have a microsd slot, and I only have full size SD at home. I will use an USB stick.

BTW I don't use wifi (I have giga ethernet wall socket) or bluetooth and don't need DVB* as I only receive TV via IP from my ISP.

Edited once, last by anroy (August 31, 2017 at 7:58 AM).

• Can anyone confirm which boxes support turning on from remote. I have the MXQ PRO and everything works perfectly except start up from remote.

thl Box 1 can start up using the remote controllers power button. I have 3 of them and they work great.

I have uploaded a remote.config for thl Box 1 on this forum.

• thl Box 1 can start up using the remote controllers power button. I have 3 of them and they work great.

I have uploaded a remote.config for thl Box 1 on this forum.

Are you saying that "thl box 1" and "MXQ PRO" are the same?
    From what I understood as djspawn wrote earlier, remote.config is not used when powering on the box - remote key codes are hard-coded in uboot - and it's understandable because when box is powered off it's not accesing filesystem - am I write?

Also post #1 shows the change made for another box.

If this is the case, how to replace uboot in LibreELEC image?

unsquashfs and mksquashfs?

Edited once, last by Sebasaj (August 31, 2017 at 10:13 AM).

• In the last 4 years, I have/had more than 2 dozen of these Inexpensive Chinese boxes, and this is the best by far. My first Amlogic device was a stick, MK808B Plus, and ran Kszaq's OpenELEC port on it. It was my Tvheadend server (whole home DVR) for two or three years. Now, I am running my Tvheadend server on my Beelink MiniMX 3 (Amlogic S905), and use it as one of my main media players. I also have an X9 (Amlogic S905X), running LibreELEC.

I also have many more expensive Android boxes, but this MeCool box, is the best of the bunch, especially for that price. It plays my live TV streams better than my Nexus Player or Xaiomi Mi box.

I have no affiliation with any manufacture or seller, just an addiction for these Android boxes.

On recommendations of many here I use the Beelink Mini MXIII II and apart from always having to installtointernal twice due to a known issue with several boxes (I loathe Android kludgeware so always install LE to internal) the box is falwless, performs brilliantly with LE and due to excelletn construction even usign heat sink compound it runs about 10C cooler than other S905X boxes I have tried. Also I hav no afflition to any box manufactures but just offer advice to other members here when I can. I would say generally you cannot go wrong with this box for LE firmware.

Only limitation as with all S905X boxes is that the Ethernet port is only standard 100Mbps as most of us here are well aware, and not the gigabit port that is desirable for streaming high quality UHD content. Still you can get a gigabit ehternet USB adapter if you really need the higher bandwidth connection. But hey I do not have a UHD set yet and as a pensioner I will be unlikely for some time to be able to afford to change my current otherwise superb 5 year old 46" Samsung series 7 FHD TV. I will wait until I can afford an OLED TV as they are by a long long way the best picture quality. So despite still twice the price of equivalent LED set, they make the upgrade and to a bigger screen well worthwhile, just a matter of winning a few grand on the lottery.

Edited once, last by RayW: Added additional paragraph (August 31, 2017 at 10:43 AM).

• I can recommend beelink mini mxiii ii (~50) or if you want bundled dvb tuner mecool KI pro. Both of them have working wifi under current builds.

You can find them at GearBest.

I'm looking for a box supporting LibreELEC with DVB-S2 Tuner and WiFi, so does the MECOOL KI PRO TV Box support these things with kazaqs LibreELEC 8.2 builds?

• If you mean this section from the first post:

Built-in DVB tuners are supported only for "K" series devices and WeTek Play 2.
    Supported internal WiFi chips: Broadcom (all), Realtek (all) and Qualcomm QCA9377. Other chips, e.g. 9082xs, SSV6051 are not supported because there is no driver source code available.

I've read this already several times - very helpful and understanable but unfortunately I don't know if the internal DVB tuner for this MECOOL KI PRO TV Box is from the "K" series and what WiFi chip is in there? That's why I asked here, possibly one has already this box runnign with your build and can confirm what is working and what not.

• Are you saying that "thl box 1" and "MXQ PRO" are the same?
    From what I understood as djspawn wrote earlier, remote.config is not used when powering on the box - remote key codes are hard-coded in uboot - and it's understandable because when box is powered off it's not accesing filesystem - am I write?

Also post #1 shows the change made for another box.

If this is the case, how to replace uboot in LibreELEC image?

unsquashfs and mksquashfs?

No.

Im just saying what I wrote.

Power on and shutdown works from the supplied remote controller. If you want the remote controller to work in Kodi you must use a remote.config file.

I have made one for this box because no by else had at the time I bought the first box.

• No.

Im just saying what I wrote.

Power on and shutdown works from the supplied remote controller. If you want the remote controller to work in Kodi you must use a remote.config file.

I have made one for this box because no by else had at the time I bought the first box.

Ok I will write short :)

I have MXQ PRO.

When booted from internal memory: remote = OK

booted from SD with LibreELEC: remote = NOT working (Nor in Kodi nor shunting down using keyboard - not able to power on.

But when I "reboot from internal" and go to Android - remote is working boath on OS and to power off/on)

• Ok I will write short :)

I have MXQ PRO.

When booted from internal memory: remote = OK

booted from SD with LibreELEC: remote = NOT working (Nor in Kodi nor shunting down using keyboard - not able to power on.

But when I "reboot from internal" and go to Android - remote is working boath on OS and to power off/on)

I uses miro SD card in 2 of 3, and all power on and off using remote.

• Funny thing happened.

I prepared my Mecool m8s pro+ to run Libreelec by putting it on a sd card. It was the latest 8.1.6 version.

I was distracted for a few minutes but proceeded to install it on the box using the reset method.

When it booted up I was surprised to see icons of Youtube and Netflix (with the last one giving away what had happened).

I had apparently used the SD card loaded with Leia (Libreelec 9.0 alpha) from my Beelink MiniMX II 3 to boot up the Mecool.

To my astonishment everything works perfectly even with both remotes and Netflix plays fine, without a hitch at 720.

Bluetooth and WIFI don't work ofcourse but who would have thought that this would work, ey?