[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• RedCat Everything is possible but it's unlikely. What you can do is to provide a dmesg log once the issue occurs.

Ssh into your device and post the link from following cmd:

Code
    dmesg|pastebinit

I bet we will see some usb hw resets I've seen those for quite a while. Mostly it's because the usb can't provide enough mA for the adapter. But I might be wrong cause I'm just guessing here based on my own experience.

• RedCat FYI No Amlogic box supports usb3 so you could have just got an usb2 adapter. Also USB devices can be unstable if they are not powered. Could be the adapter too or the driver but who knows.

The main reason to buy a USB 3.0 Ethernet adaptor rather than USB 2.0 is that it is quite tricky to find USB 2.0 Gigabit Ethernet devices with decent support. Most USB 2.0 Ethernet adaptors are 10/100 only... If you want to have >100Mbs connectivity (albeit still capped to USB 2.0 400Mbs-ish speeds) you need a GigE adaptor.

USB 3.0 Gigabit adaptors are far more common than USB 2.0, and so often the easiest way to add >100Mbs Ethernet to a USB 2.0 device is to use a USB 3.0 adaptor in USB 2.0 backwards compatibility mode. I know people who do this on ODroids and Raspberry Pis.

• kszaq tried your proposed solution of reversing that commit in 8.1.1 - I just tested with my affected Philips tv set and the problem persists.

Did you try playing media for refresh change after? It doesn't change or reset mode, that's up to you (when set early enough in autostart.sh, this isn't needed). Could you get a log to see if it's taking effect? dmesg | pastebinit

• No the pink screen appears directly in the menu. I did not know a refresh change was needed for the setting to take effect. On the other hand, I do set it in the autostart file.

The effect is not static, it comes and goes periodically, so testing for it can be frustrating. My solution was to boot the box and just let it sit in the main menu and have a look at the TV from time to time to see if the colors have flipped. I will retest if playing a few file helps later this week (will be very busy until Friday...)

• Did you try playing media for refresh change after? It doesn't change or reset mode, that's up to you (when set early enough in autostart.sh, this isn't needed). Could you get a log to see if it's taking effect? dmesg | pastebinit

Checked this evening, colors changed after several files were played. Dmesg:

OEYM

• Checked this evening, colors changed after several files were played. Dmesg:

OEYM

Given how intermittent this bug is, I wonder if setting it this way ever worked. That's the only change that could be responsible for breaking it within the last few LE8 testing releases.

Do you remember approximately what testing release you were running prior?

The only other way this could've been fixed in other releases, is if you were running one of the "nougat-exp" builds (labeled as "exp" on releases).

• Looking at my download folder, I most likely used either

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-devel-20170616131101-r26045-g72d22cef3.img

or

LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.0-devel-20170624124730-r26097-g7f1536977.img

before testing the newer release this month. I used the S905X quite exensively in June and am quite sure I would have noticed the problem then.

I have more time this weekend, I can try to walk back my downloads and identify the last one that worked.

• johngalt I noticed that you uploaded testing7 release. Not only for S905(x), but also for S912. I bet you received your S912 devices.

You only uploaded the .tar file (no img.gz), is it for update from kszaq's S912 8.2 build? Does it share the same dtb file?

Thanks so much for your work.

• @johngalt

In testing7 version for s912 doesn't work iptv via iptvsimple, any channel opening and nothing

And also in logs nothing

And in menu I see two times "Reboot from internal"

Edited once, last by boot2k3 (July 25, 2017 at 7:45 PM).

• johngalt I noticed that you uploaded testing7 release. Not only for S905(x), but also for S912. I bet you received your S912 devices.

You only uploaded the .tar file (no img.gz), is it for update from kszaq's S912 8.2 build? Does it share the same dtb file?

Thanks so much for your work.

Yes it is the same device tree since it references to kszaqs files.