[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• For people who are having flashing issues, I'll try to recreate a bit.

For those asking for addons, I'll be setting up an addon repo in the near future. However, I completely agree with kszaq. Most addons seem to build, with tvheadend42 being the only exception.

For LE9.x - Kodi Leia - I would advise to start from a pretty clean slate.

So Nuke lateframes, channel skip, fractional frame rates - all of them. I have found they are not needed at all for smooth video playback.

TvHeadend TV channel switching is now the best I've ever seen it with the very latest pvr.hts & Leia master with the above patches removed:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-9.0-9.0.0.Nougat-3.14.v8.tar

pvr.hts-999.4.0.17.2.zip

Thank you, I'll remove the channel skip and lateframes patches. I need the fractional frame rate patch, otherwise there are the regular interval frame skips. After flashing the initial build, I tried watching a whole 23.976fps movie, but was getting the standard regular interval skips due to kernel not having fractional policy set. I stopped playback, manually set the sysfs interface, then resumed playback and didn't get any skips throughout the rest of the movie.

I'm noticing frame skips on 23.976p content when played back at 24hz - using testing3. Thanks so much for your efforts on this.

How long did the file play? I noticed an issue with the fractional frame rate patch so it may take around a minute for it to get set (only happened once in testing and couldn't recreate again). If longer, I'll need more info and logs.

• First time playing with your mod, and WHOAAAAA!! Netflix plays in HD and started HD streaming almost instantly. I am using this from a fast microSD card running on my older Beelink MiniMX 3 (Amlogic S905). Will continue to test..........

Awesome, thanks.

FYI, my box is connected through an HDMI splitter, to my Denon AVR to my Samsung 4K TV.....

Had to make a short video showing this awesome Netflix HD port from your excellent work. I thought others may want to see what it looks like.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by clarkss12 (July 8, 2017 at 6:54 PM).

• How long did the file play? I noticed an issue with the fractional frame rate patch so it may take around a minute for it to get set (only happened once in testing and couldn't recreate again). If longer, I'll need more info and logs.

I play the movie I always use to test fractional frame rates - The first Hobbit film which contains lots of scenes that show up any frame 'jumps'. I played it for about 10 minutes and noticed a couple of jumps. Let me do some more testing........and I'll submit a log if needed. Thanks.

PS. Does it matter if the install to LE 9 was a clean install or an upgrade of LE 8??

• You can use my repo if you want I don't mind. I'm building all addons natively for each platform since I noticed C2 addons being incompatible with WP2. Most issues with tvh. So if you run into issues it's best to build from scratch.

Nice builds johngalt btw. I will try those myself since I have a S905x box too. Now that you also feature Leia builds I'm no longer limited with Netflix/Amazon to use my WP2,WH or C2.

• TvHeadend TV channel switching is now the best I've ever seen it with the very latest pvr.hts & Leia master with the above patches removed:

LibreELEC-S912.arm-9.0-9.0.0.Nougat-3.14.v8.tar

pvr.hts-999.4.0.17.2.zip

wrxtasy, did you change ssh password in this build?

Standart password doesn't work after update to this version and pvr IPTV Simple Client from repo above not compatible.

With previous version all work.

Edited once, last by boot2k3 (July 8, 2017 at 8:39 PM).

• I play the movie I always use to test fractional frame rates - The first Hobbit film which contains lots of scenes that show up any frame 'jumps'. I played it for about 10 minutes and noticed a couple of jumps. Let me do some more testing........and I'll submit a log if needed. Thanks.

PS. Does it matter if the install to LE 9 was a clean install or an upgrade of LE 8??

I've uploaded the log to:- BWRX using the built-in libreelec utility to submit logs.

I played two parts of the movie - the first 10 minutes or so and a portion from about 1hr 19m to 1hr 22m. The frame jumps were very quick - I would say about 3 (i.e. blink and you would miss them). The movie is still very watchable and like I said these jumps were not the same as the old 40 second micro stutter you get when playing 23.976p movies on 24hz display. These were much less noticeable. Hope the log helps in some way.

The movie is encoded for HEVC, 720p resolution with AAC audio. My box is S905 Beelink MX64 with 2GB RAM and 8GB internal drive.

• I play the movie I always use to test fractional frame rates - The first Hobbit film which contains lots of scenes that show up any frame 'jumps'. I played it for about 10 minutes and noticed a couple of jumps. Let me do some more testing........and I'll submit a log if needed. Thanks.

With this issue it shouldn't.

I've uploaded the log to:- BWRX using the built-in libreelec utility to submit logs.

I played two parts of the movie - the first 10 minutes or so and a portion from about 1hr 19m to 1hr 22m. The frame jumps were very quick - I would say about 3 (i.e. blink and you would miss them). The movie is still very watchable and like I said these jumps were not the same as the old 40 second micro stutter you get when playing 23.976p movies on 24hz display. These were much less noticeable. Hope the log helps in some way.

The movie is encoded for HEVC, 720p resolution with AAC audio. My box is S905 Beelink MX64 with 2GB RAM and 8GB internal drive.

This might be a h265 kernel issue (of which there are a few with the amports reverts). I've been able to recreate on a few <4k personal h265 rips (not on 4k though). Some of these are fixed in nougat-exp (which currently has h264 issues but are almost fixed). They also don't appear in the MM kernel.

You can use my repo if you want I don't mind. I'm building all addons natively for each platform since I noticed C2 addons being incompatible with WP2. Most issues with tvh. So if you run into issues it's best to build from scratch.

Nice builds johngalt btw. I will try those myself since I have a S905x box too. Now that you also feature Leia builds I'm no longer limited with Netflix/Amazon to use my WP2,WH or C2.

Thank you! I'm testing out your C2 addons to start.

• le9-testing4 uploaded. The img.gz currently can't be used for upgrades, so I've uploaded the tar as well. This will be fixed.

This is also using Raybuntu's Odroid C2 addon repo, so many addons are available again (not sure if all work). He also has a netflix repository which may simplify the installation of and updates to the netflix addon.

Edited once, last by johngalt (July 9, 2017 at 3:29 AM).

• I need the fractional frame rate patch, otherwise there are the regular interval frame skips. After flashing the initial build, I tried watching a whole 23.976fps movie, but was getting the standard regular interval skips due to kernel not having fractional policy set.

Yes I have changed my mind now I watched a movie last night with lots of video panning that properly shows skips and re-introduced the Fractional support too. Nice and smooth now !

My TV does a good job of hiding skips with it's motion smoothing, its all a bit deceptive.

Standard password doesn't work after update to this version and pvr IPTV Simple Client from repo above not compatible.

wrxtasy, did you change ssh password in this build?

Yes - I get really really really sick of typing libreelec - all the time and use the Password - le - instead.

If you run into issues just install one of Raybuntu's LE 9.x Addons - install from .zip:

rb-addons/addons/9.0/Odroid_C2/arm at master · Raybuntu/rb-addons · GitHub

I might re-add RB's Repo back in again.

• Yes - I get really really really sick of typing libreelec - all the time and use the Password - le - instead.

If you run into issues just install one of Raybuntu's LE 9.x Addons - install from .zip:

rb-addons/addons/9.0/Odroid_C2/arm at master · Raybuntu/rb-addons · GitHub

I might re-add RB's Repo back in again.

wrxtasy, in the last build addon "kodi.binary.global.main" has a version 1.0.10. But pvr IPTV Simple Client wants 1.0.9 version. So it doesn't work because of сompatibility issue.

• le9-testing4 uploaded. The img.gz currently can't be used for upgrades, so I've uploaded the tar as well. This will be fixed.

This is also using Raybuntu's Odroid C2 addon repo, so many addons are available again (not sure if all work). He also has a netflix repository which may simplify the installation of and updates to the netflix addon.

I'm afraid I'm seeing a lot more frame skips on testing4 versus testing3 watching back 23.976p movie at 24Hz (The first Hobbit film - HEVC codec at 720p). No changes made to any settings - just dropped the .tar file into update folder and rebooted,

This is on Beelink MX64 2GB/8GB S905. My TV is Panasonic Plasma model TX-P42X50B and I have direct HDMI connection between the S905 and the TV. These HEVC files play back perfect using LE Jarvis and LE Krypton.

Do you need a log?

• In le9-testing4 I found following issues:

1. irregular massive frame skipping for fps >= 50 (there is nice set of testing movies FPS testing videos, use Shift-Ctrl-O to see debug info);

2. wrong aspect ratio for SD h264 live TV (missing kszaq's patch: kodi-99a.02-add-aspect-ratio-detection-for-amcodec-h264);

3. live TV audio stuttering after channel switching. Speed-up channel switching was done by decreased time for fill-up AV queues, there is missing corresponding changes in AV sync servicing. Now audio queue is balancing on 0% level after channel switching;

I tried to build this version for KI Pro (S905D) and KIII Pro (S912). I fixed 2. a 3., but 1. is inside in Leia for longer investigations.

My sources for reference: GitHub - afl1/LibreELEC.tv at leia

Without fix for 1. this builds are unusable for live TV and I decided no publishing this release.

Edited once, last by afl1 (July 9, 2017 at 2:13 PM).