[TESTING][S905(X)] 10bit/HDR/Dithering Test Builds & Discussion

• Test in progress, after 20 minutes no frame skips, remote works fine. Great nougat build, great work.

There still are frame skips, but it depends on the media type. I have a very experimental buffer change that has reduced frame skips from my testing. I still need to get a h264 4k test file as a benchmark (all my 4k media is h265).

OK, thanks :)

I'll install the latest version, hoping that I won't have problems like those saltanar had.

I think those problems were from using the nand device tree.

Edited once, last by johngalt (June 8, 2017 at 2:15 AM).

• I have a new test build I'm not updating OP with because it's very experimental and the last build is in a good state. You can use the linked device trees from OP.

Changes:

• A very experimental buffer change in an attempt to improve the frame skip situation.
    • A hdmitx change that may improve compatibility with some AVRs (to be tested by those with 4k output on their TVs but not AVRs).

Download

Edit: RedCat, who had nougat output issues with 4k through his Denon AVR, let me know that after a few minutes of testing this seems to have fixed the issue.

Edited once, last by johngalt (June 8, 2017 at 5:37 AM).

• I really like the progress here, two thumbs up and keep up the good job, I won't be able to do this myself. :)

If you want you can pick a change that should fix long refresh rate changes and audio drops except for the cases when you switch to only a different denominator (e.g. 60 -> 59.978): projects/S905: use "null" display mode only when needed · kszaq/LibreELEC.tv@f663088 · GitHub

johngalt I also like your approach to reverting some drivers to MM, I'm lazy (and don't have much time). :P

• There still are frame skips, but it depends on the media type. I have a very experimental buffer change that has reduced frame skips from my testing. I still need to get a h264 4k test file as a benchmark (all my 4k media is h265).

In the first 20 minutes I didn"t see frame skips, h264, but afterwards I noticed a few frame skips, 6-7 in 60 minutes.

• I have a new test build I'm not updating OP with because it's very experimental and the last build is in a good state. You can use the linked device trees from OP.

Changes:

• A very experimental buffer change in an attempt to improve the frame skip situation.
    • A hdmitx change that may improve compatibility with some AVRs (to be tested by those with 4k output on their TVs but not AVRs).

Download

Edit: RedCat, who had nougat output issues with 4k through his Denon AVR, let me know that after a few minutes of testing this seems to have fixed the issue.

Device tree gxl_p230_KI_Pro.dtb for this testing build.

Changes:

A build with KERNEL_VERSION="4e39713" still gives me frameskips on h264/4k. But I only have a single movie using that and I can't see any visual difference between the 4k version and the bluray I can't say I care a lot about this bug :) 1080p h264 works great, as does 4k h265.

• KERNEL_VERSION="4e39713" s

A build with KERNEL_VERSION="4e39713" still gives me frameskips on h264/4k. But I only have a single movie using that and I can't see any visual difference between the 4k version and the bluray I can't say I care a lot about this bug :) 1080p h264 works great, as does 4k h265.

kindly send the link of this kernel KERNEL_VERSION="4e39713"?

Changes:

Download

I have a new test build I'm not updating OP with because it's very experimental and the last build is in a good state. You can use the linked device trees from OP.

Changes:

Download

I tested it with my marantz nr1606. It did not fix it for me. But then I have been having issues with the video switching in almost every build of libreelec for 905x. I have a mini m8s II box and a hisense 4k TV.

When libreelec starts it is just a black screen after boot logo. This also happens after switching back to libreelec interface after watching 4k(hdr) video.

I change the hdmi settings to standard and then back to enhanced in my TV setup menu. And I will get dislay. I have libreelec set to 3840x2160p at 60hz If I connect it directly to the TV it is ok without hdmi setting switching.

The only build that works fine without switching hdmi settings through my avr is 8.0.1g of kszaq. No issue at all with the startup of libreelec and video file hdr and 4k switching.

Hope this information can be useful.

• can a s905x handle x264 4k/60fps video? i've tried all the big buck bunny 2D files. it can play them properly except for the 2 videos below. so i think it must be a hw limitation

bbb_sunflower_2160p_60fps_normal.mp4

bbb_sunflower_native_60fps_normal.mp4