5.1 sound issues

• Hi,

I'm having the same problem on an S905 device. AAC 5.1 files play fine (albeit with 2.0 output) through HDMI to a receiver when the channels are set to 2.0, but there's no sound when the channels are set to 5.1. However, files with AAC 2.0 play fine even when channels are set to 5.1. All AAC files, whatever their number of channels seem to play fine when the channels are set to 2.0.

Trying to play the file: ChID-BLITS-EBU.mp4

Here's the log:

JWQV

Hope it helps!

Edited once, last by WileCoyote (August 30, 2016 at 10:54 PM).

• nxnw:

Please always post your own log. Your issue isn't related to shedrocks issue. He connects his HTPC directly to his am via HDMI. You have a TV between and want passsthrough over your TV. That's different. So you either provide your own logfile or we are out and you might have fun sovling your issue on your own. We want to help, but if you don't let us, we can't do anything. Providing someones log wouldn't help even it's the same issue, as the issue might depend on a setting you did. Don't say "I use the same settings while using OE"....provide the log or try to fix it on your own.

Sorry for not being clear. I had not linked that file out of laziness. I was trying to be helpful, by linking that apparently related file to this thread.

I intend to post my own log, but have not had the opportunity to reinstall LibreELEC and attend to this. I apologize for not getting to it yet and thank you for your consideration.

• I've noticed that both the latest versions of Kodi and SPMC both crash after setting the output to 5.1 and trying to play a file with AAC 5.1 sound, so it seems to be a Kodi 16.1-wide problem.

On LibreELEC I can get around the problem for now by setting transcoding to AC3 and enabling passthrough. It should sound awful with all the lossy to lossy conversion, but it's not too bad and sounds better than the 2 channel to Dolby Pro-Logic II output.

Edited once, last by WileCoyote (August 30, 2016 at 10:53 PM).

• I'm having sound issues as well with my cubox i4pro and latest LE alpha.
    I have sony tv and philips 2.1 soundbar (connected via hdmi-arc).
    Sound settings do not seem to have any effect, sound channels, passthrough, upmix etc.
    Sound/volume is way lower than on last OE alpha, or at least bass volume. Had to use the volume amplification to get the same volume out as OE alpha.
    And the main issue is that some higher sounds sound very annoying like the cubox cannot keep up or cannot play the sounds correctly.
    Descriping the sound is like some alley cat meowing when it is dying.
    This seems only to be issue when playing videos with 5.1 audio.
    It doesn't matter if it's with TV's speakers or the soundbar.

Is someone else having such issue?

Will provide logs later today and I'll also try changing the cubox to my RPI2 with latest LE alpha.

• And a sample of the video file, plus screenshots of your audio settings please.

Cannot give you a sample, but it's every video file with 5.1 sounds and/or dolby/ac3 so shouldn't be hard to get one.

I also bought a new sdcard and put the latest OE alpha there.
    With OE there are no sound issues, no need to amplificate the sound. All settings seem to work, dts, ac3, passthrough, stereo upmix etc.
    All have effect on the sound and now I can enjoy my sound system.
    So I would guess there has been some sound related changes OE6.95.3 vs LE 7.90.004 and LE just is not there yet.
    I'll test the LE 7.90.005 which is being released soon and will provide those screenshots if the issues are still there.

Edit:

Switched my RPI2 to the tv setup and updated it to 7.90.005.
    All sounds work right with RPI and this build (did not test with .004 build).
    I also noticed that the sound issue maybe a thing that you have noticed, since there are now settings like Threshold for pitch correction and PLL adustment to maintain audio/video sync?
    My RPI2 settings are the same as on my cubox except the new settings in 7.90.005 (and volume amplification due low sound, gpu accelration = high on cubox). Attached pics.

• Hello,

I've juste migrated from openelec on a RPi1 to Libreelec on a RPi3 and I have the same 5.1 PCM issue.

It's working well on Openelec but not on Libreelec

I have the exact same audio configuration in both

Do we know how to fix it finally?

Thanks

• Just a hunch: In Krypton "sync playback to display" forces PCM as Kodi must resample media to match the panel clock and you get PCM output. With it disabled audio can be passed-through without change. In Kodi Jarvis (and older) the same settings give a different result (because of some ugly hacks that Krypton did away with).

• I've found the solution.

It was because of Hardware acceleration OMXPlayer that was enabled.

After disabled, it works fine.

I had this option enabled in Openelec with no issue but seems we don't have to put with Libreelec

I had this option enabled in Openelec with no issue but seems we don't have to put with Libreelec

Hope this works!!

Only had my box for a week, and the audio Passthrough has been irritating me!

sorry to push this issue Topic

we speak here from LE in Kodi 17 and Sound issues / drops while connected via hdmi to AVR and using PCM ?!

got Sound drops on cubox i4p on AC3 files and PCM is flashing on AVR, its not fixed on Scenes, issue goes by sometimes ..

is the omx Player better than the Standard Player, got the Standard Player also a acceleration Option too?

where can i find the Hardware acceleration of the OMX Player and how can i install him on the cubox ...

sorry for newbie questions :)

thx

• OMXPlayer is a Raspberry Pi thing. It is not supported on any other platform, and it is probably being deprecated from Kodi (in favour of MMAL which is another Pi only thing) after v18 ships.

thx

but i got the experience that omx is the the better Player on rasp 2 @ LE

..because on MMAL i got stuttering in videos, not often but it happen on different Scenes again ..on omx the Videos are fluid

..googled this issue also in other Forums, LE was new installed, last stable Version ...

just my 2 Cents