S905 builds - general discussion

• just got the mini mxiii and having trouble with the toothpick method, anyone have any ideas? I'm not ready to flash on the NAND on this box and adb does not work since it isnt rooted.

EDIT: Went to backup&update and used a random kodi addon zip then proceeded to update the box and bam LE booted from SD. The kodi addons zip where on the NAND after lauching kodi within Android. I think the reset button is broken on this box as well.

Also the box has s905 revision C processor. Power, reboot, sleep all fully functional via remote on 004.

I had trouble with the reset and found my MXQ needs to be unplugged for a few minutes for it to work.
    [hr]

Could you please tell me what your settings are? I have same device so it would great to have some reference.
    Can you play 1080p videos without any issues with picture? Did you set your GUI resolution to 1080p? Because I'm getting artifacts like this when playing 1080p content or trying to set GUI to this resolution.

Didn't touch any video settings. Display detected as 1080. Haven't nmotefd any artifacts. Disabled RSS. Audio set to analog in output, Dolby and DTS capable receiver, then pass through enabled. Sound feeds to my Sony home theatre and I'm getting 5.1 sound.
    Had a bit of trouble getting some of my fav addons to install (or even finding them), so last night I used Backup to restore the file from my HTPC. Haven't had time for testing since, but it appears to have done so successfully. At first glance is appears exactly like my HTPC.

Edited once, last by Tanzer26 (July 30, 2016 at 4:35 PM).

• I suggested (in post 385, above) to try this (but didn't see any response back to see if it worked or not), perhaps it might work for you ? ...
    Try turning off "Adjust display refresh rate" under settings/video/playback.

Yeah, I did try that even if this settings is for playback and I can't switch even GUI to 1080p.

[hr]

Didn't touch any video settings. Display detected as 1080. Haven't nmotefd any artifacts. Disabled RSS. Audio set to analog in output, Dolby and DTS capable receiver, then pass through enabled. Sound feeds to my Sony home theatre and I'm getting 5.1 sound.
    Had a bit of trouble getting some of my fav addons to install (or even finding them), so last night I used Backup to restore the file from my HTPC. Haven't had time for testing since, but it appears to have done so successfully. At first glance is appears exactly like my HTPC.

Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to reset LE and try to configure it once again without installing anything.

Edited once, last by Draghmar (July 30, 2016 at 9:59 PM).

• Hmm the one that I'm looking at is a Beelink Mini MX Ver 1.0 TV Box (not MXIII)
    I wonder if it's the same

The MXIII is the newer smaller version, if you go on the Beelink website they only offer the MXIII, i suspect the chances of getting the newer s905 rev C (NOT s905X) is higher on the MXIII vs the old Mini MX.

I have no complaints if the reset button does not work as i can always get to recovery by other means or just reflash Android with the USB burning tool. I'm probably making a mistake with the toothpick method as others have the MXIII and dont have issues.

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 3, 2016 at 12:08 PM).

• [hr]

Ok, thanks. I think I'm going to reset LE and try to configure it once again without installing anything.

Does it display 1080 OK with android? Maybe it's your display. I'm using a 50" that handles 1080p from multiple sources. If you loaded the .005 version, perhaps try the .004, that's what I'm running.
    I've been unable to get any browser to install, and no Netflix. That disappoints, as without that, it won't replace my HTPC. I'm trying to reduce my electric usage and the MXQ draws a lot less than a full blown PC. Might have to consider one of the new ultra mini PCs.

• Hmm the one that I'm looking at is a Beelink Mini MX Ver 1.0 TV Box (not MXIII)
    I wonder if it's the same

MiniMX is not the Beelink. I believe the MiniMX is the owner of Beelink or the other way round.
    You might want to pull that link out please. Forum rules.
    Beelink boxes have no root access in the Android Firmware.
    That Fleabay listing is misleading. That is why i never use Fleabay.

Edited once, last by kszaq (August 3, 2016 at 12:08 PM).

• MiniMX is not the Beelink.

That's fine. The boxes are advertised as Beelink. If not, and they don't behave as they should. I'll return them

You might want to pull that link out please. Forum rules.

Thanks for pointing that out, done.

That Fleabay listing is misleading. That is why i never use Fleabay.

I always use ebay, gotta be the best buyer guarantee around. If it's misleading then back it goes!

Edited once, last by Poida (July 31, 2016 at 1:15 AM).

• That's fine. The boxes are advertised as Beelink. If not, and they don't behave as they should. I'll return them

I have the one's in the picture of the listing.
    Just confirming.
    2gb / 16gb is really good due to the abundance of ram.
    The 1gb suffers from the known s905 high ram allocation for video playback.

• The Beelink site has sections for the minimx and minimxiii.

It is not the same product. It may be the same box but you will not see it in their product range.
    Beelink box has red Beelink logo on it. Android firmware is DEFINITELY not the same as
    the MiniMX without the Beelink Branding.
    I am just trying to eliminate confusion on the 2.
    They are definitely different products.
    The MiniMX's have one name for 1gb & 2gb ram / storage versions.
    Unlike the Beelink which uses different name for its 1gb and 2gb Versions.
    Phew ! I hope i am making sense.
    [hr]

Thanks guys, for the info.
    I've ordered a couple, so time will tell.

Just make sure your box has the s905 Revision C chip installed.
    That is what i have on my boxes.

Edited once, last by kostaman (July 31, 2016 at 1:48 AM).

• Can anyone explain when flashed on NAND the flash parition is alway 1.9GB vs SD card whichh uses around 512MB. Why is flash 1.9GB, I'd rather have the extra space for storage especially with the 8GB boxes.

• Yes, I'm using the 7.0.2.005 image with a Beelink Mini MX III 2/16GB box via microSD card and for the most part it works very well. There are issues with HEVC stuttering (also present on Alex's OpenELEC build, but not on Android SPMC). Also, 5.1 PCM output doesn't work, but another thread suggests that this affects all LibreELEC builds.

I keep reading references to Alex's OpenELEC build, but could somebody tell me where I can find it? I am waiting for my Nexbox A95X to arrive and would like to be able to compare the two builds. Thanks!

• I registered just to say Wow, what an easy install libreelec was on my cheap MXQ pro.

A big thanks for making this possible, makes me feel more secure then a vague chinese android version

• I suggested (in post 385, above) to try this (but didn't see any response back to see if it worked or not), perhaps it might work for you ? ...
    Try turning off "Adjust display refresh rate" under settings/video/playback.

I had the same thing and this is how I fixed it. Went into Android, set the resolution to 1080P, rebooted and then opened OE and set resolution to 1080P. That fixed my problem.

Edited once, last by doggyofone (July 31, 2016 at 6:00 PM).