S905 builds - general discussion

• kszaq You will be glad to know i have identified what is causing the Ethernet Bug on my "MiniMX" and confirm the problem is something during cold boot and "only" cold boot.

Today i was able to bring back the ethernet when it was lost after cold boot by doing the following procedure in sequence.

I have wifi turned off in both Android and LibreELEC during the cold boot up.

Box boots up from cold and there is no ethernet no network connection whatsoever.

I run LE from SD so i go to LE settings and there is only the option of WIFI to activate.
    No wired connection option. It is missing.

I then pull the ETHERNET cable out and then Re-Insert it.

I immediately noticed on my Power Over Ethernet unit the signal throughput lights started to flash. 

I then used my remote to Reboot and once box booted up IT CONNECTED VIA ETHERNET.

Did this 10 times and it worked 10 times.

I also want to confirm that i have ELIMINATED my power over ethernet adapter as maybe being the cause as i tested the box with straight ethernet and the problem was there as well.

This procedure works in Android too , as i took the LE SD card out and did exactly the same thing in pulling out and re-inserting the ethernet cable and rebooting.
    Bang the Ethernet hooked up immediately .

So the conclusion is that Ethernet is not recognised during a cold boot either in Android or LibreELEC.

The FIX i have been able to come up with works.

So unless our Genius kszaq can give me one of his magic script commands i am stuck with this Bug.

Thanks for reading.

• If it is possible, can we check cec?

I'm not familiar with the new CEC driver yet, in a few days I will setup a thread where we can discuss CEC-related issues and the driver author may be able to help you there.

kszaq
    Just curious: which exact s905 device(s) do you have?

I have one device with eMMC and AP6212 WiFi: MiniMX 1GB and the other one with NAND and Realtek 8188ETV: K1 Plus without DVB. These devices are not my recommendation.

So unless our Genius kszaq can give me one of his magic script commands i am stuck with this Bug.

There is one thing in my to-do list: compile ethernet driver as module while keeping MAC address from u-boot working and this might help your issue. You need to give me a few days, I'm a busy man recently (non-LE related).

• Edit \\LibreELEC\Userdata\peripheral_data\cec_0000_0000.xml and replace <setting id="device_type" value="4" /> with <setting id="device_type" value="1" />. Reboot.

Thanks for that however it seems to revert back to <setting id="device_type" value="4" /> after a reboot. I'm booting off a SD card and editting the file in Windows with Notepad++ over a SMB share if any of that affects things. Any suggestions?

• hello, thanks first for your awesome work.
    I'm trying your last image on a tronsmat K1 and no big issues beside the power-off/stand-by general issue that need always to make a cold-start.
    I try setup system with hyperion ("ambilight clone"), and run into a problem that seems be kernel issue after some forums read out.
    So far what I've understood besides other things amvideocap kernel module needs to be enabled in the kernel config. And that is in fact activated on your images. As I can see the "/dev/amvideocap0". Issue is when I start hyperion he runs normally but fail to get data from amlgrabber with the error mensage

"AMLOGICGRABBER ERROR:[int AmlogicGrabber::grabFrame(Image<ColorBgr>&)] Failed to open the AMLOGIC device (12): Cannot allocate memory"

Its seems this problem its commom and user "msfabxda" from hyperion-project have found a workaround to this on odroid C2.
    He have post that on Aarch64 compile error · Issue #550 · hyperion-project/hyperion · GitHub
    Solution pass to make the following change BUF_SIZE_MAX to 0x1FFFFF in amvideocap.c
    ("linux/amvideocap.c at odroidc2-3.14.y · hardkernel/linux · GitHub")

Can you add this change into your system.

Thanks and keep your great work

• if you have the 1gb version of minimx you must have experienced the problem of low memory & freezing. I'm right?.

Nope.

Thanks for that however it seems to revert back to <setting id="device_type" value="4" /> after a reboot. I'm booting off a SD card and editting the file in Windows with Notepad++ over a SMB share if any of that affects things. Any suggestions?

I forgot that you have to stop Kodi first. Login over SSH, issue systemctl stop kodi and then edit the file. Save and reboot.

Its seems this problem its commom and user "msfabxda" from hyperion-project have found a workaround to this on odroid C2.
    He have post that on Aarch64 compile error · Issue #550 · hyperion-project/hyperion · GitHub
    Solution pass to make the following change BUF_SIZE_MAX to 0x1FFFFF in amvideocap.c
    ("https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/blob...videocap.c")

Can you add this change into your system.

Sure, for the next build.

• I had openelec on nand and I decided to switch to LE (003). I wiped data, restored android and flashed LE using toothpick method.
    When I power on the box (MiniMX 1-8) it starts with 720p resolution (even though the tv is FHD)... but it's not a big problem. The issue is when I try to play a 1080p movie, because I see something like this:

I see something like that also if i try to change resolution to 1080p in settings, but if I give a (blind) confirmation and I reboot the box it keeps the 1080p setting and I have no problem... until I turn off tv and box, because when I power em on again everything starts from the beginning.
    There wasn't this issue on OE.

LOG:

Edited once, last by bnj86 (July 15, 2016 at 10:45 PM).

• I just tried 003 on my mk808b pro.

As mentioned previously in this thread, it appears you can't use the toothpick method - it will refuse to boot until you let go of the button, then will boot into android, the fix has also been posted by JonSnow in the thread (thanks).

The loading of libaries and images takes significantly longer compared to the mk808b plus, but haven't had the device long enough to know if this is a hardware issue so with speed test the cards. I am also getting the odd freeze of around 10 seconds, this is on a class 10 micro sd card. It's currently not detecting bluetooth, despite me trying various times (works fine with a USB dongle).

I would like to say that the changing of refresh rate is much, much better using the pro in terms of speed, and once you're in a video there are no issues. A massive thank you for the hard work you have done in getting this up and running.

• You can also try something I described a few posts ago: prepare FAT32-formatted pendrive, copy aml_autosrcipt to it, insert both pendrive and SD card with LE and then try toothpick and/or recovery method.

Sorry Didn't have time to read all the posts yet
    But I tried that as well and still no dice unfortunately...

• Hi kszaq

Could you add this patch from Alex's OpenELEC to your next build, please. It's for displaying codec info on MENU key longpress.

Hello, if you are interested you can put this file in .kodi/userdata/keymaps in which I've remapped like you ask and it was on openELEC the long press menu for codec info and log press power button for rebooting from nand.

• I had openelec on nand and I decided to switch to LE (003). I wiped data, restored android and flashed LE using toothpick method.
    When I power on the box (MiniMX 1-8) it starts with 720p resolution (even though the tv is FHD)... but it's not a big problem. The issue is when I try to play a 1080p movie, because I see something like this:

I see something like that also if i try to change resolution to 1080p in settings, but if I give a (blind) confirmation and I reboot the box it keeps the 1080p setting and I have no problem... until I turn off tv and box, because when I power em on again everything starts from the beginning.
    There wasn't this issue on OE.

LOG:

Code

Something wrong in detecting your TV resolution on start up.
    Your box is showing 1280 x 720 native resolution as it fails to detect your TV resolution on start up.
    Try turning on the TV first and then the box.
    Go into Android and turn off Auto Detection in resolution settings. I dont know if this is relevant.

Lastly in LE go to Settings/System/SystemSettings/Input Devices Peripherals/CEC Adapter
    Devices to power on during startup select NONE
    If that is how the TV is being turned on.

Sorry but that is all i can suggest.

I can confirm that i am using Android Build Model MiniMX Version 5.1.1
    Build s905_107L 1. Kernel version ly@ubuntu#1 Wed Apr 20 11:15:09 CST 2016.

I have a MiniMX but dont have this issue.

Edited once, last by kostaman (July 16, 2016 at 1:10 AM).

• Someone reported similar situation on another forum (M18 with Android in NAND and boot OE from SD card). How he fixed the problem was unplug the power of the TV (not only power off). He first boot to Android to check resolution setting, then boot OE again and problem gone!

• Someone reported similar situation on another forum (M18 with Android in NAND and boot OE from SD card). How he fixed the problem was unplug the power of the TV (not only power off). He first boot to Android to check resolution setting, then boot OE again and problem gone!

I have LE on nand, so I can't try that way, but anyway I think it is a software problem, because I flashed back Alex's OE (wiping everithing again) and it recognize my tv as 1080p@60 and I have no video issue.
    This evening I also tried to flash LE again, but the issue was still there.

PS. Sometime happens also that LE deletes all my kodi favourites... I've seen this already 2 times in 2 days. Luckily I have a backup.

Edited once, last by bnj86 (July 16, 2016 at 3:05 AM).

• I have LE on nand, so I can't try that way, but anyway I think it is a software problem, because I flashed back Alex's OE (wiping everithing again) and it recognize my tv as 1080p@60 and I have no video issue.
    This evening I also tried to flash LE again, but the issue was still there.

Problem comparing to my MiniMx is i dont know what Android version you were on before you flashed LE.
    Do you recognise mine below ?
    Build s905_107L 1. Kernel version ly@ubuntu#1 Wed Apr 20 11:15:09 CST 2016.
    I've had issues like this on old Kit-Kat Android Firmware that had this resolution issue.
    My box arrived with s905_103L and i had to do 2 OTA Updates to get to 107.
    I'm just filling in the gaps to see what whent wrong.