S905 builds - general discussion

• EDIT - My friend is having exactly the same problem as the above post. He is located in Thailand. I'm on Canada and have never experienced this issue.

Hi All,

A friend is having a very strange issue:

Here has a MXQ M12CX S905X 1gb/8gb box.

The issue is and he can't really narrow it down to streamed video or local video but what happens is this:

He starts say a video stream from an addon like youtube for instance, and what happens is the video starts playing but the remote does not work for a while, sometimes 30 seconds or so, then he has acces to his remote again. A wireless keyboard is the same.

Does anyone have a clue what might be going on?

Which log to look at to diagnose?

Thanks

Edited once, last by kodiuser1 (January 24, 2017 at 2:16 PM).

• Yes that is me that Kodiuser1 is refering too. See my post I made in the other forum thread with the new releases (maybe I should have posted here as I am new to this forum though not new to KODI and Linux builds ???) . It is post #412 there and is quite long and detailed about this very problem. My feelings are it is maybe something to do with how fast the cache fills from the online data stream whilst the video is playing fine, I say this as a freind of mine here has a much slower internet connection and this loss of all control (remote and keyboard) lasts much longer than it does for me with my very fast fibre connection.

Cheers
    RayW

Any help would be much appreciated

• Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a sub £50 S905 box for LE that has 2GB RAM and dual wifi? It will also need to connect to a 4k tv (i gather there are some issues with this)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

• Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a sub £50 S905 box for LE that has 2GB RAM and dual wifi? It will also need to connect to a 4k tv (i gather there are some issues with this)

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I would advise you a well known box like Mini MX III 2GB (with S905, not III-II), the components are stable now. Only drawback : wifi has poor speed.
    EDIT : I missed you request for dual wifi ... forget my advise.

Edited once, last by Koxx (January 25, 2017 at 5:38 PM).

• I would advise you a well known box like Mini MX III 2GB (with S905, not III-II), the components are stable now. Only drawback : wifi has poor speed.
    EDIT : I missed you request for dual wifi ... forget my advise.

Which brings you to the Beelink Mini MX III II, which does have dual band WiFi and the extra decoding that the S905X can handle. No issues with this box and well within your budget ;)

• I own nexbox a95x with rtl8189 wifi chip. Is there some way to improve wifi signal? Its around 50% and most I got out of it was 60%. And box is like 4-5m from router, single wall only. I tried opening box and moving small "panel" antenna around, tried isolating it with aluminium foil and tape to prevent shorting something. And somewhere something went wrong, since box refused to boot. Only red light was on, no blue light. so finally removed everything and returned as it was and now I struggle with 50% signal. I would really really like to avoid using wired connection. So any tips other than soldering connector and external antenna? Also, tried tplink wn722 usb stick, but it did not work. Probably because there are no atheros drivers in libreelec. PS I am using libreelec 7.9 beta2.

• Hi I have been using libreELEC 009 build for some time on a MXQ Pro 4K box and have been given another of these boxes with exactly the same PCB board. I made another SD card and got the box to boot to LibreELEC but no sound. On investigating I found Audio Device is set to Bluetooth Pulse Sound in Settings Audio output and I can not change it as it is greyed out even in Expert mode. How do I change this setting Please. All help appreciated. Altstart

• Hi I have been using libreELEC 009 build for some time on a MXQ Pro 4K box and have been given another of these boxes with exactly the same PCB board. I made another SD card and got the box to boot to LibreELEC but no sound. On investigating I found Audio Device is set to Bluetooth Pulse Sound in Settings Audio output and I can not change it as it is greyed out even in Expert mode. How do I change this setting Please. All help appreciated. Altstart

Had this exact problem with the latest build (fresh install to SD since I transitioned from 64 bit to 32 bit). Before trying another fresh install, I just put the build and the device tree in the update folder and restarted as in a normal update - voila, the sound started working. Try it.

Edited once, last by banditbanger (January 28, 2017 at 12:05 PM).

• Yes that is me that Kodiuser1 is refering too. See my post I made in the other forum thread with the new releases (maybe I should have posted here as I am new to this forum though not new to KODI and Linux builds ???) . It is post #412 there and is quite long and detailed about this very problem. My feelings are it is maybe something to do with how fast the cache fills from the online data stream whilst the video is playing fine, I say this as a freind of mine here has a much slower internet connection and this loss of all control (remote and keyboard) lasts much longer than it does for me with my very fast fibre connection.

Cheers
    RayW

Any help would be much appreciated

From reviewing the original post you're referring to, your issue worsened as you added more and more addons. If you have an abundance of addons with background functions running on the device, it is not to be unexpected. Disable any library population or notification features in them so the Addons only run on demand.

I was running into this issue whenever library updates were running in the background in addition to the trakt.tv addon automatically synchronizing watched status. My issues were resolved by disabling trakt.tv and resolving all unscrapable content issues for the library.

Another issue is if you're incorrectly using network cache settings. A few quick tips to avoid overwhelming your CPU and internal memory limits:

• Never set cachemembuffersize to 0 on a flash-based storage device. It will destroy the lifespan of your device and cause hangs and slowdowns on devices with slow internal storage. If you're using cachemembuffersize, you must set a proper value so that it caches to RAM only.
    • Do not set a custom cachemembuffersize that exceeds more than half your average available RAM, keeping in mind that Kodi uses 3x the active amount of RAM you specify for cache size. If your buffer size is too high combined with additional addons and background services, it will spike and go unresponsive very frequently. If you average 600MBs free RAM when idle, your cachemembuffersize should not exceed 100MBs (600/2 = 300MBs max suggested memory to dedicate from RAM to cache. 300/3 = 100MBs max cachemembuffersize to set)
    • Do not set readbufferfactor higher than 2 to 4. This is not a high powered device and anything higher will cause your box to dedicate a bulk of its resources to buffering during the start of playback.

If nothing helps above, start removing addons until you identify the major contributor(s). You should be aware that the questionable addons you've suggested you're using are not supported by Kodi developer communities. If you can identify which one(s) may be the cause, you should engage the specific addon developer through their appropriate channels for help.

Edited once, last by glitch (January 29, 2017 at 6:41 AM).

• Hi Guys, great job you are doing here.
    Not sure should I post here, let me try.
    Got 3 MXQ PRO 4K boxes in hope to use in every room.
    Truing to use S905.aarch64‐7.0.3.011.
    Only gxl_p212_1g and no dtb gives WiFi working, but no remote at all.
    Some other dtb's remote works but no WiFi or USB?
    Tried Key mapper, no luck.
    Anyone any ideas?

• Even tried when get remote working to keymap every button, save and copy that xml file
    to remote not working install.
    It looks like dtb with WiFi working has disabled IR receiver?

• It looks like dtb with WiFi working has disabled IR receiver?

I doubt it.

If you're running LE from external just extract your remote.conf from the Android FW.
    Failing that, either extract the remote.conf from a build / dtb that does give you a working remote or just google for remote.conf for your box and copy it to /storage/.config :D

Edited once, last by Poida (February 11, 2017 at 9:35 AM).

• I doubt it.

If you're running LE from external just extract your remote.conf from the Android FW.
    Failing that, either extract the remote.conf from a build / dtb that does give you a working remote or just google for remote.conf for your box and copy it to /storage/.config :D

TX
    [hr]

TX

Actually installed internal, works 100%

Edited once, last by Sinisa (February 12, 2017 at 7:42 AM).

• Is it normal for the S905(X) to do some overscan at the left edge?

I have a Mini M8S II 2GB/16GB (S905X) and in both Jarvis and Krypton I don't see the white line on the left:

NMOUso6.jpg

Raspberry Pi 2 in comparison:

JtXpTrs.jpg

Pattern is part of the AVS HD 709 basic settings:
    AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Can you guys check if you have that overscan too?
    Is this a known thing? Can it be changed? Ideally I would like to have no overscan whatsoever...