S905 builds - general discussion

• Thanks, I'll give it a go later & let you know how I get on.

I did as you said, & got it working after a reboot. I didn't realise that the original remote wouldn't work at the same time. Anyway, I think I will stick to the original. I suppose I need another logitech remote, the 300 which I prefer I use with my NUC in the living room, & my grandaughter uses the 650.
    The Logitech 650, is uses the Pivos from the logitech database to run a Mygica 510b.

But thanks, it all adds to my learning curve.

• I have received my T95N box and I'm trying to setup LE on SD.

Booted to Android, got things like networking and date/time sorted.

Might sound like a silly question, but with no visible reset hole/button I took the box apart and found a button behind the AV socket, is that the toothpick button people are talking about? (edit: must be the right button - without the sd card this takes me to the recovery menu)

I've setup the SD as per the instructions, booted with the button I found pressed and it seems to stay on the Amlogic S905 logo for a long time. How long should it take for the LE logo to appear?

Edited once, last by ant_thomas (September 2, 2016 at 1:56 PM).

• I have received my T95N box and I'm trying to setup LE on SD.

Booted to Android, got things like networking and date/time sorted.

Might sound like a silly question, but with no visible reset hole/button I took the box apart and found a button behind the AV socket, is that the toothpick button people are talking about? (edit: must be the right button - without the sd card this takes me to the recovery menu)

I've setup the SD as per the instructions, booted with the button I found pressed and it seems to stay on the Amlogic S905 logo for a long time. How long should it take for the LE logo to appear?

Yes that is correct (as you have found out )

In order to provide further help, you will have to let us know which version you are trying to install, as the latest .006 IS different

Edited once, last by silashack (September 2, 2016 at 2:16 PM).

• Yes that is correct (as you have found out )

In order to provide further help, you will have to let us know which version you are trying to install, as the latest .006 IS different

I'm trying to install .006

I believe it is an S905 box, not S905X.

Burned the image to SD as required
    Downloaded - gxbb_p200_t95n.dtb (1GB/8GB box) - renamed to dtb.img and replaced exisiting dtb file on SD card
    Inserted SD card
    Tried rebooting into recovery using the toothpick and the "reboot recovery" command in Android.

Edited once, last by ant_thomas (September 2, 2016 at 2:23 PM).

• Believe ?
    Is it an M8s, M8sPro or M8sII
    You must confirm chip. You cannot guess.

The screenprint on the bottom of the PCB says S905_1G_V12.
    The lisiting I bought it from was S905 (not that it is proof)
    CPU-Z app says 4xArm Cortex-A53 @ 2.02 GHz - Revision r0p4
    The boot logo says S905
    Mini MX+ banner across the corner of the box
    [hr]
    FYI - .005 works straight away.

Edited once, last by ant_thomas (September 2, 2016 at 2:45 PM).

• Mini MX+ banner across the corner of the box

These are your specs below.
    "RAM1GB DDR3 ROM8GB EMMC"
    Just looked it up and it is an S905 correct.
    You did do the following with device tree ?
    "rename it to dtb.img and copy it to main folder of SD card and replaced the one that's already there.

• You did do the following with device tree ?
    "rename it to dtb.img and copy it to main folder of SD card and replaced the one that's already there.

Yes, I downloaded "gxbb_p200_t95n.dtb" and renamed dtb.img and replaced the file already on the SD card.

Worth trying gxbb_p200_minimx.dtb?

Edited once, last by ant_thomas (September 2, 2016 at 3:17 PM).

• After receiving my T95N S905 1GB/8GB box and installing .005 I've had some time to have a play and test various parts.

I've been using Kodi/OE/LE for a number of years across various hardware.

My current setups are
    Living Room - 1080p TV - Chromebox - I see this as the benchmark for a good quality 1080p setup (some may disagree)
    Other - 1080p TV - RPi3 - Previously RPi2 and before that Intel Atom/nvidia ION system

The T95N will hopefully repalce the RPi3. My main issues with the RPi3 are a laggy UI when watching LiveTV/Videos, channel changing and occasional AV sync issues.

My main use is for LiveTV - SD MPEG2 HD H264

Positives
    UI is very very smooth, very impressed.
    Channel changing is smooth, zapping across channels goes well without AV or buffer issues.
    UHD/4K H265 channels look amazing even on a 1080p TV (probably because of the good bitrates)

Negatives
    MPEG2 SD picture quality isn't as good as the others
    -- Software decoding looks much better than hardware decoding
    -- Hardware deinterlacing is better than software Forgot to check software deinterlacing, changed to Yadif, much improved.
    I would like to use my MCE remote with the box (edit: plugging in the MCE receiver works, it would be nice to use the internal IR though since my MCE receiver is about as big as the T95N box!)

Software decoding with Yadif deinterlacing is definitely the best option for MPEG2 LiveTV in my opinion.

I don't have any x265 or 4K content to test (or a 4K TV) apart from access to UHD test broadcasts on 13e, 19.2e and 28.2e.
    I'll test more and add any more comments/thoughts I have.

Overall I'm impressed. I bought the box for £18 so I can't really complain.

Edited once, last by ant_thomas (September 2, 2016 at 8:27 PM).

• I'll be receiving my 2gb/16gb MiniMXIII T95N tomorrow can't wait to install this and test it out.

I also agree with ant_thomas, it would be great to be able to use standard IR commands from our MCE & harmony remotes. Been using these remotes since the OG Xbox (xbox media player) days to current builds.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• I'll be receiving my 2gb/16gb MiniMXIII T95N tomorrow can't wait to install this and test it out.

I also agree with ant_thomas, it would be great to be able to use standard IR commands from our MCE & harmony remotes. Been using these remotes since the OG Xbox (xbox media player) days to current builds.

There's nothing to stop you using a Harmony.

If you have an MCE receiver use that for the time being. Works out of the box.

I've implemented what I used on my RPi for power control. My issue was being able to turn my TV off without the TV remote and only my MCE remote and the answer is CEC.

In the CEC settings enable it to turn off and wake the devices when starting and stopping the screensaver.
    Then create a remote.xml file in keymaps

Code
    <keymap>
      <global>
        <remote>
          <power>ActivateScreensaver</power>
        </remote>
      </global>
    </keymap>

You need to stop any video playing, but pressing the power button on the MCE remote turns the screensaver on and therefore turns the TV off. Then just press any other button to wake.