VPN Manager for OpenVPN

• Hello,

I use an own VPN to connect two houses but the addon does not work, it connects to the vpn server but I can not connect to the other network's computers (in the server network). The files that I import with the "Import Wizard" into the addon are .opvn and ca.crt, the same ones I use with openvpn for android and they work correctly.

Do I have to do something else besides import the files and put username and password?.

Best regards and thanks.

I have a tcp.opvn & a udp.opvn along with the ca.cert for each site. Not sure if that is your problem.

• I have a Google home and have seen a guide that allows kodi to be run from Google home. It requires port 8080 to be open, Without the VPN on it works great. Can anyone tell me or show me how to open port 8080 so it doesn't use the VPN when it's connected? Is there a guide to do this anywhere?

• I have a Google home and have seen a guide that allows kodi to be run from Google home. It requires port 8080 to be open, Without the VPN on it works great. Can anyone tell me or show me how to open port 8080 so it doesn't use the VPN when it's connected? Is there a guide to do this anywhere?

I think there is a setting in zomboided's settings, to select a particular vpn server for a particular app, or deselect vpn with a certain app

• it's not an app. The Google home interacts with the webserver, port 8080. Bit like the core app on android. I need to configure the up script to use eth0 instead of tun0 so the Google home can see the webserver. Without the VPN on it works great. Anyone know the correct up script for this to work?

• Is there a way to run VPN for a single Add-On?

VPN up and running fine and can add exceptions to other add-ons/windows.

Essentially would like VPN off for everything except one Add-on.

• Hello there,

I've been using openvpn for just over a year now, and first would like to say thank you zomboided for putting it together.

I've noticed a problem over the past 6-8 months, where some sort of timeout happens (when I'm not near the system), and crashes the system. It *always* wipes the openvpn user settings with it, so each time this happens I have to open the wizard/manually insert settings again. I cannot re-create the problem whenever using the system. I am currently using ipvanish and have been for the duration of my time using openvpn. I would estimate it happens once or twice a week.

Here is a pastebin of the crash log:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Please if possible, where any advice can be shed, keep in mind that I'm not an advanced level user nor programmatically minded.

Thank you very much for any light to shed on this mystery

• The log suggests all sorts of connectivity problems around the time that VPN Mgr notices the connection has gone away (no surprises there). There's nothing there to show you needing to run the wizard - I'd want to see that log too, with debug switch on.

You're also running a bunch of banned addons. If you want support to determine why the system is crashing (which I'd suggest is your biggest issue), you'd need to remove those and get a log with this behaviour in without them enabled. This probably needs it own thread.

• The log suggests all sorts of connectivity problems around the time that VPN Mgr notices the connection has gone away (no surprises there). There's nothing there to show you needing to run the wizard - I'd want to see that log too, with debug switch on.

You're also running a bunch of banned addons. If you want support to determine why the system is crashing (which I'd suggest is your biggest issue), you'd need to remove those and get a log with this behaviour in without them enabled. This probably needs it own thread.

Ok, thanks for all the advice Zomboided. It's a shared machine so I'll try to wipe it so it's just openvpn and will report back

• I'm having an issue with slow speeds with IPvanish and Libreelec and I've spent a lot of time working the issue. I was with PIA and had terrible connections speeds with the ca-Toronto server - 3-5mb/s on VPN and 195mb/s off VPN on my Windows laptop. PIA support could not fix, so I am testing IPvanish. So far excellent results on my Win 10 laptop - 195mb/s with no tinkering. I then setup IPvanish on a kodi box loaded with VPN Manager and got connected, but speeds are slow - 7mb/s. I have tried both a static IP address, and dhcp, turned IPV6 on and off, gone through VPN Manager settings, etc. I have seen no change in the speeds.

My setup is via a Trendnet 10/100/100 switch to an Asus TR-AC 87U running Merlin's latest software. The Modem is a Hitron CODA 4582 set to bridge mode and ISP is Rogers with 150 mb/s speed (usually just under 200mb/s tested speeds). The laptop connects via ethernet to the router and not the switch.

The boxes I have include 2x S812 (demetris) and S905X testing both Libreelec and Coreelec (Leia Beta 1). All are connected to ethernet.

I run the Arnu speed test addon for kodi and also use this command in putty - cat /sys/class/net/eth0/speed. I never get more than 10 with that command.

Is there a setup guide for Libreelec? I have been through the search and scanned through a lot of the forum but can't find what I need.

Using VPN Manager 5.0.3.

I appreciate the help

• The fact you're seeing crappy speeds on 2 different VPNs, which are generally well used (I think), suggests it's more like to do with your hardware or your network or even your ISP.

If you want to eliminate the addon, start the vpn using the command line using a profile downloaded from the VPN provider. All said, it's just a (well crafted) Linux box and your provider should be able to help using openvpn on the command line.

• Try changing the vpn instead. I am sure there are better and easy solutions available than getting yourself jammed into this stuff. I faced terrible internet speeds while using &@#$% *MOD EDIT*

• The fact you're seeing crappy speeds on 2 different VPNs, which are generally well used (I think), suggests it's more like to do with your hardware or your network or even your ISP.

If you want to eliminate the addon, start the vpn using the command line using a profile downloaded from the VPN provider. All said, it's just a (well crafted) Linux box and your provider should be able to help using openvpn on the command line.

OK, been working on this for a while and have had success with a couple questions.

I could get nowhere with PIA, even though I spent 4 days testing multiple servers, configurations, etc with their Tech support. They tried. I convinced them to refund which was great. Took that refund and installed IPvanish. I had immediate success with my laptop - local VPN speeds up to 185mb/s. vs. PIA 3-5mb/s., tested with OOKLA. ROGERS with vpn off = up to 199 mb/s steady speeds - I pay for 150u.

KODI box results:

S812 putty = cat /sys/class/net/eth0/speed = 100 mb/s and ARNU = 42 mb/s

S905X putty = cat /sys/class/net/eth0/speed = 10mb/s and Arnu = 35mb/s - not sure why the test gives these results vs the S812.

all connections through ethernet, CAT 6 or 7 cables.

Both connections are set to manual/static IP, with dhcp disabled and IPv6 disabled. Is this an OK setting or should the connection be DHCP? Should IPv6 be left on?

• I always run with a static IP because I want to know where my box is when I want to ssh into it. DHCP will assign different IP addresses to it which I want to avoid. I also run exclusively IPv4 on my network because I like the 80s and only have a dozen devices to connect. I'm guessing that neither of these settings will affect the transfer speed.

• I always run with a static IP because I want to know where my box is when I want to ssh into it. DHCP will assign different IP addresses to it which I want to avoid. I also run exclusively IPv4 on my network because I like the 80s and only have a dozen devices to connect. I'm guessing that neither of these settings will affect the transfer speed.

Thanks, I have been doing the same thing, but wasn't sure if the settings were optimum for an internet connection. Anyways, thanks for a great app and all the work you put into it.