Still problems with shared database on boot!

• rude or not rude.. after years having the same problem throughout openelec or libreelec. at one point you are simply pissed fof. anyone knows that this problem exists and still there are no good (all the time)-working solutions. AFTER YEARS!
    do you think to slow down my own network is a solution? sorry, i dont think so.

but if someone is interested... i managed it by giving it something useless to do in the startup script ... and still, that is not a solution.

@escalade
    dont know what you wanna tell me, but even as it-eng. its not my work to fix other peoples problems... well ok mostly ..but not at this point.

Edited once, last by ramses3 (April 1, 2017 at 3:26 PM).

• I got four upgraded environments (Intel NUC, ZOTAC, RasPi 2 and RasPi 3). None of them has any problem with the network connection, my timeout is set to 10 seconds (as before for V7), but this isn't necessary at all.

After the procedure described above all environments connect seamless to the database! No probs at all, not under V8.x and never before.

• [hr]
    maybe the equipment you use at home.. i got only enterprise equipment that is fucking fast.... as said, switching a 10 year old 100mbit switch between solves the problem....
    no solution at all

Edited once, last by ramses3 (April 1, 2017 at 4:36 PM).

• @escalade
    dont know what you wanna tell me, but even as it-eng. its not my work to fix other peoples problems... well ok mostly ..but not at this point.

It's not other people's problem, it's your own problem that you are choosing to ignore the solution and the technical explanation on why it's not an issue with LE. Others in this thread managed to solve it, but the "IT engineer" did not ;)

Edited once, last by escalade (April 1, 2017 at 7:37 PM).

• Seems my issue was the existence of the v107 videos database, maybe as a result of trying v8 beta's previously, once this was removed the database upgrade completed as expected.

That sounds a bit odd... I only have the 'MyVideos107' video DB in my MySQL but start/restr actually never fails.

All LE boxes (1 RPi2, 1 RPi3 & 2 Intel "NUC's") and MySQL server hooked to same 8-port Netgear GS108 Gigabit switch with CAT6 cables.
    30 sec. 'Wait for Network' on all enabled on all LE instances.

• This was a procedure after an interrupted migration! If everything works fine (start/restart never fails) it's ok then. Of course you need this DB it's V8, as well as MyMusic60 ...

As a result of an interrupted migration process (I didn't expect it working so long for my database), I got these databases too, but not in the final state, that's why I could never establish a connection to the mysql environment.

• This was a procedure after an interrupted migration! If everything works fine (start/restart never fails) it's ok then. Of course you need this DB it's V8, as well as MyMusic60 ...

As a result of an interrupted migration process (I didn't expect it working so long for my database), I got these databases too, but not in the final state, that's why I could never establish a connection to the mysql environment.

So you decided to ignore the database upgrade message which resulted in a corrupt database and you are blaming us?

We are trying to work with you here, not against you.

Typically the problem with mysql is slow Network equipment causing the network to be established after kodi has started. If you have a fast Network there shouldn't be any issue.

• I'm here agreeing with the people told there is a solution. Because there is not. It's called a work-around. I'm having the same issue, but soon enough I'm going to be told my network hardware is too good and I should have stuck to old crappy hardware. Or create a rediculous delay in something that shouldn't have a delay. The fact remains that the bug might be in kodi, but the problem only presents itself with libre-elec. Which is in my eyes something libre-elec developers should try to solve or maybe tell us which bug in kodi we are talking about so we can address a different set of developers for this problem.

And for the record I'm an electrical engineer. So I can't do it myself, if I could I would.

[Edit]

What my libre-elec does at this point/what I tried: network wait time = 300 sec. Sleep 30 on splash screen. Disabled IPv6 in cmdline.txt. But still no DB connection, ever.

[/Edit]

Edited once, last by Frits1980 (July 1, 2018 at 2:34 PM).

• Official Post

Kodi has no ability to "wait a bit" when connecting to the DB so it bails out to sqlite DB files (which are empty). It's more of a lacking in feature than a true bug .. and it's messy code which is why Kodi developers have studiously avoided trying to "fix" the missing feature for a long time. The fun part about software like Kodi which is developed in everyone's spare time pro-bono is you can't task and make any of the devs do things they are not personally interested in. This 'problem' doesn't show up on Windows, macOS and Android because those are slow booting and the network is always up long before you find the icon to click-on and launch Kodi. The biggest issue is that the workaround is simple, so the developers with the skills to fix the problem use the workaround. If it was fiendishly complicated to workaround someone would solve it :)

• If the work-around is simple can you please tell me what it is for the sake of summarizing this topic? Because all I can find as "solutions" do not work.

I know the whole thing is developed by enthusiastic people in their spare time. So I also understand the reason why this is not a priority. But maybe, libre-elec should then put a sort of warning in the wiki about what features of kodi don't work on their platform.

• MySQL db is a overall not supported feature from Kodi, it works for some ppl at LE for some not.

A lot ppl are using emby as backend these days and the "kodi for emby" addon. It works and offers everything an MySQL db has and a lot more.

Thanks for your answer, I've tried emby but didn't understand how it could work like tinydb or mysql. All I want is to be able to see my watched state on multiple instances of kodi. I just don't understand why that should be so hard.

• Enabled the "wait for network" timer for ~10 seconds and delay Kodi startup until the network is ready. If you're one of those people who sleeps their NAS and disks that 20 seconds to spin up before the DB is accessible; set a longer time.

Thanks for clearing that up, so the sleep 30 in the autostart.sh and the wait for network of 300 sec in kodi should do the trick? NAS never sleeps at my place. Those are the settings it's currently on, and while I am connected to mysql on my phone kodi still can't. Am I still missing a work around? Or could it be possible that there is more to it then meets the eye?

• Just my thought:

My RPi's had issues connecting when using the name of MySQL DB-server (DNS name) in 'advancedsettings.xml'.

No issues with NUC's though...

So i created a "master" of 'advancedsettings.xml' with only IP's and tested/verified logon credentials.

(same with 'sources.xml' as well)

I'm using identical files on all LE instances, added 30 sec delay (just to be on safe side, how often do You need to restart anyway... ;) ) and now all boxes works within minutes even if I need to re-install from scratch.

• There's no need for autostart.sh and a 10 second delay in wait for network is normally fine so if it's not working after 30+ seconds either your NAS is broken or you have another problem. Are you connecting on the right ports? .. correct credentials?

There is nothing wrong with my NAS, since I can connect perfectly from within kodi on Windows and Linux. I copy my advancedsettings.xml file to all platforms, so that is not the issue.

I never work with names, only ip addresses. That's the only reliable solution to networking.

• Official Post

There is nothing wrong with my NAS, since I can connect perfectly from within kodi on Windows and Linux.

Of course. But, LibreELEC can sometimes boot too quickly for its own good. The "Wait for Network" option is not for the NAS, it's for the LibreELEC device. Other than that, I don't think we can add any more information on that subject.

If the network connection is not the problem, it will be the database connection itself. Double-check your kodi.log file for database connect issues.