7.0.3.011 build for S905/S905X

• From what i can understand you have jumped straight to trying internal installation.
    From the steps you have tried, I have no idea where your instructions came from.
    Any reason you ignored opening page
    Internal memory (NAND/eMMC):
    Run LE from SD card first. If it runs fine, connect to your box over SSH, execute

Code
    [b]installtointernal[/b]
  • USB booting is not handled by kernel, it is handled by u-boot and only after SD card with LE is not detected. That said you may be right that is has some influence on how kernel driver works. Can you please do the following: execute fw_setenv upgrade_step 1 over SSH and reboot - this will make all u-boot variables go back to default values and thus disable SD and USB booting.

how do I revert the change to allow booting from SD/USB? Disabling USB made no difference other than it booting quicker which is expected, but i would like to keep the USB booting.

The third kernel test is much easier to boot, I had to unplug multiple times before LE would boot with test 1 and 2. However with the third test it usually boots with 1 power pull.

The other thing I notice is I will see the Beelink logo for about 8 seconds then it will blink and either freeze or boot to LE, I do nopt recall seeing this with 009.

Lastly I have been unable to get it to hang if i "poweroff" instead of reboot. It has booted successfully each and every time, while it would hang at the 3 or 4th reboot.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (December 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM).

• how do I revert the change to allow booting from SD/USB? Disabling USB made no difference other than it booting quicker which is expected, but i would like to keep the USB booting.

I just toothpicked Dev LE 19th November SD Card #178 and it booted to this version. Same thing will happen for you.

I have just inserted USB Stick using 19th November build sd card and i cannot freeze the box.
    No way to freeze it.

The static pops are there but i also noticed the CPU Temperature was not working with 19th November.
    I hope the fix to CPU Temperature after the 19th didn't cause this Freeze to the S905. #440
    Wild guess as i am now trying to blame anything.

Edited once, last by kostaman (December 24, 2016 at 2:26 AM).

• ahh yes that did the trick. I will say the third kernel test is for sure easier to boot when it hangs.
    [hr]
    Could it be related to remote.conf? I tried test3 and now rebooting stock 011 and cannot get it to hang.

The flash partition didn't have remote.conf which is why my remote never worked. I decided to mount the flash partition as RW and copied my remote.conf that I made when switching from Android.

Nope: not related to remote.conf

Edited once, last by JonSnow (December 24, 2016 at 2:44 AM).

• I initially tested my audio sync with no passthrough using a few audio sync videos ripped from youtube. I used a global delay of 85ms because depending on the audio used some of my non 24p videos were out of sync and some weren't, so that was the compromise I found. I have always had an audio sync problem with 24p content on kodi and before that xbmc (as does many people if you search the kodi forums).

When using passthrough I had to add a further 125ms delay on my AV Receiver (Denon AVR-X520BT) to keep it in sync.

The advanced settings file works fine for me in this build.

P.S. If you used the audio delay slider within kodi to find out the delay needed on a video, don't forget to set it back to zero ;)

• Maybe a small question to make understand the boot up... kszaq

If I get it correct, boot process is handled by u-boot, which exist in different versions. So powering up the boxes, u-boot normally just boots into nand, where Android is installed and starts the Android kernel. With using the toothpick method, u-boot gets patched to support booting from SD or USB, too. So when powering up after patching u-boot, it looks if SD is present with bootable kernel and starts it if it is. If no SD with valid system is found, it tries USB. If no bootable system is found on USB or no USB is present, u-boot simply boots NAND, correct?
    So it works like a normal PC's BIOS does after being patched. It simply looks for a bootable system in the order SD, USB, NAND? So resetting all u-boot variables just makes it boot from NAND, so it's faster, as it doesn't have to 'wait' for SD or USB.

If I'm getting it right, kernel only comes to matter, after u-boot has done its job, correct? So boot failures can't really be a matter of kernel?

May I ask some questions?
    It's only S905 devices that suffer the boot failure? S905x devices aren't hit?
    Is there a LE version thats reliable booting S905 devices? What's the changelog between this reliable version and 011?
    Is there a way to get u-boot version from a running system?
    Does it matter if it's 64 or 32 bit?
    Do the ones suffering the boot hang have LE installed to NAND or are all using SD card? When using SD, what's installed on NAND? Android or LE?

For me it seems a 'structured' bug hunting would be more effective. So we should find a version that's working reliable in regards to booting and go from there. The above questions show that we have a very huge variety of possible influences (u-boot version multiplied by what's on NAND multiplied by 32 or 64 bit multiplied by using SD or USB multiplied by reboot or cold boot multiplied by using external USB devices or not...)

So my suggestion would be to go back to a reliable working version. Doing this should include a reliable test setting (64bit from SD card with no external devices connected to USB doing only cold boots is what I would suggest to minimize error prone variables)

For all other errors (audio delay, PVR problems, stuttering, etc) I would suggest using the test files from:
    Samples - Official Kodi Wiki
    so all have the same base of files

Jm2c

• It's only S905 devices that suffer the boot failure? S905x devices aren't hit?

Incorrect.
    My Beelink has an S905X chip and frequently does get caught at the boot hang, with builds after 7.0.2.009 :(

Additionally, of my two identical non-Beelink MiniMX boxes, one is affected 80% of the time while the other has stalled on it, maybe twice on reboot and never from a cold start :s

Edited once, last by Poida (December 24, 2016 at 10:47 AM).

• Quoting the same post again but i had to.
    This one dev build of 19th November is boot-perfect on Minix U1 (S905).
    kszaq i don't know why this one is different but it certainly works.
    Can you check what is the difference between this one and all the rest that followed...?
    There has to be something.

Edited once, last by 9800pro (December 24, 2016 at 11:17 AM).

• I bought a new box (a T95m with s905x chipset, 2GB RAM) with built-in Bluetooth hoping I would be able to use it with LibreELEC but unfortunately LibreELEC reports that no Bluetooth adapter is found.

Would it be possible to get the internal Bluetooth working with LibreELEC somehow? Like by compiling drivers or something.

I can get Bluetooth working with an external USB dongle btw that I also used on my RPi2.

• Does anyone have any speed test data for the nexbox a95x? I have one with the stock rom and I mostly want to flash it Libre to solve wifi issues. I can barely get 5mbs even 5 meters away from the router.

• Having done a few tests I think you are correct, it no longer seems to be making any changes to the audio delay.

Edited once, last by spoony100 (December 24, 2016 at 8:13 PM).

• Does anyone have any speed test data for the nexbox a95x? I have one with the stock rom and I mostly want to flash it Libre to solve wifi issues. I can barely get 5mbs even 5 meters away from the router.

I tried WiFi once after flashing LE, for me the WiFi bandwidth was as poor as with Android. Guess this box lacks a proper WiFi antenna...

• Having done a few tests I think you are correct, it no longer seems to be making any changes to the audio delay.

Thanks for checking. I have also tried the .xml on my Pi3 with official LibreElec and that also seems to not read the delay lines.
    Will try the alpha 7.90 (Kodi 17) later and see if that reads it.

• I bought a new box (a T95m with s905x chipset, 2GB RAM) with built-in Bluetooth hoping I would be able to use it with LibreELEC but unfortunately LibreELEC reports that no Bluetooth adapter is found.

Would it be possible to get the internal Bluetooth working with LibreELEC somehow? Like by compiling drivers or something.

I can get Bluetooth working with an external USB dongle btw that I also used on my RPi2.

Go to #2

Read how to get the details of your wifi chip details.
    Then you can reply the details as there are chips with no bluetooth working due to missing driver support.
    My Qualcomm chip is one of them and kszaq is aware.

• Thanks for checking. I have also tried the .xml on my Pi3 with official LibreElec and that also seems to not read the delay lines.
    Will try the alpha 7.90 (Kodi 17) later and see if that reads it.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas !!
    Right, so have done some further testing.
    In the alpha build for Kodi 17 (alpha) it both reads the advancedsettings.xml file and acts upon it. So anything set as a global delay, changes the delay on 60 (youtube etc) and between 23/24 in the xml gets that independent delay (movies/tv) - This is exactly what I am needing. Would use the Alpha version if it did not stutter a bit on playback (is Kodi beta/LibreElec alpha so bugs to be expected)
    Now why does the advancedsettings.xml not get acted upon in build 7.03.011?
    Ok, so this is for Kszaq...
    Have only just been running your builds - do like what you have done ! :)
    Few questions however regarding using advancedsettings.xml...
    Did notice on the changelog for 7.0.2.008 the line ..."added back advancedsettings.xml to fix audio buffering issues with some live TV channels"...
    Why did you need to add it back? (was advancedsettings.xml disabled from Kodi by default and you added it back to fix the issue with buffering?), and since 008 to 011 has Kodi been disabled to act apun any settings in the advancedsettings.xml?
    Just trying to find out why version .011 is not acting on the settings put in the advancedsettings.xml but the alpha build does.
    (in my testing the exact same advancedsettings.xml file was used in both Kodi 17/alpha build and Kodi 16.1 .011 build)
    Thanks

wifi on the nexbox is dog shit. i suggest buying a usb wifi dongle.

Edited once, last by SEIKT (December 26, 2016 at 2:29 AM).