7.0.3.011 build for S905/S905X

• Hi Kszaq,
    I read in forum that u have released retroarch addon for s805/s905 ,cant find the addon link,can u provide me the addon file to install .
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• My biggest problem is that I don't have the entire system backup (just recovery.img & btd.img)

Please read the following and try the method.
    7.0.2.009 build for S905/S905X
    Download file with img.gz extension.
    LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.2.009.img.gz

Confirming your Hardware.
    s905 Chip
    1gb/8gb 100m Lan

Use the following.

Device Tree gxbb_p200_1G_100M_RealtekWiFi.dtb
    From the picture you supplied i can see the realtek logo.
    Rename it to dtb.img and copy it to main folder of SD card- Replace the one that's already there.

Burn the downloaded file to SD card.
    If you use windows follow instructions as i use Mac OS.
    In the following order is what i do.
    I un pack the img.gz and burn the image file to sd card.
    Then i replace the device tree already on the sd card with the renamed device tree.

I then toothpick into recovery and the box boots from SD Card.

Now if this is not happening for you please do not insert the LE SD Card.
    First try and get into recovery without the SD Card inserted.
    If you can’t get into recovery with no sd card inserted you need original device tree(dtb.img) and recovery image on an sd card
    and then toothpick method. That should get you into recovery.
    Then Remove the recovery SD Card.

Once you get into recovery insert the prepared LE Sd card and choose reboot recovery from the menu.

That should hopefully work.

• Hi Kszaq,
    I read in forum that u have released retroarch addon for s805/s905 ,cant find the addon link,can u provide me the addon file to install .
    Thanks

Long time ago I compiled an addon for S805, it is no longer updated. You should look for it over at FreakTab, there's a topic for running Retroarch on S805 and S905...

• You need to implement 1680x0150 resolution support in kernel.

Dear, kszaq, and you have plans to add alternate screen resolutions in your assembly?

Sorry for offtopic
    [hr]

Hi Kszaq,
    Thanks

GitHub - JoKeRzBoX/JoKeRzBoX_LibreELEC_Repo_S905

Edited once, last by Alex71 (January 2, 2017 at 6:54 AM).

• . . . I then toothpick into recovery and the box boots from SD Card.

Now if this is not happening for you please do not insert the LE SD Card.
    First try and get into recovery without the SD Card inserted.
    If you can’t get into recovery with no sd card inserted you need original device tree(dtb.img) and recovery image on an sd card
    and then toothpick method. That should get you into recovery.
    Then Remove the recovery SD Card.

Once you get into recovery insert the prepared LE Sd card and choose reboot recovery from the menu.

That should hopefully work.

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the Reset Button doesn't work - therefore the toothpick method cannot work

• The location of the reset switch definitely is not an issue in my case, it's behind the AV port I'm certain. I can feel the actual click of the switch as I hold it down/release it.

I am trying to follow all the issues and read he can get to the switch?
    This is hard to follow as there is so much information with so many gaps in between.
    [hr]

You seem to be overlooking the fact that the Reset Button doesn't work - therefore the toothpick method cannot work

I'm more confused than he is.

Edited once, last by kostaman (January 2, 2017 at 9:14 AM).

• I'm more confused than he is

LOL :D

These s905 boxes do have the reset button behind the AV port. Unfortunately, no amount of pressing that button, no amount of time, will get me into Recovery. I've tested dozens of different methods.

• To enter Recovery, the only thing that has worked so far is issuing a "Reboot Recovery" from a Terminal Emulator

Methods I've used for attempting to enter recovery:

• Hold Reset (on this box it's behind AV port) - tested 50+ different boots, different ROM's, no luck
    • Shorting the Reset-switch's pins (in case the switch itself is not triggering properly) - tested a dozen-plus times, no luck
    • Use an Andriod Terminal Emulator to Reboot to recovery (or reboot update)- This does boots to the stock-recovery but it will not boot / run the SD version of @kszac's build.

Edited once, last by Poida (January 2, 2017 at 8:08 AM).

• What's your box, exact model?
    Usualy it's in AV hole...

sent from my G2

It's not my box, he says it's a NEXBOX A95X Android 6.0 TV Box Amlogic S905X Quad Core 3D 4K HD Support 2.4G Wi-Fi 1GB/8GB.
    I told him that the reset button is behind the AV plug. He says it doesn't have one!

• New images for testing boot issue will be posted in a separate thread:
    LibreELEC

Hi kszaq, I have just tried the latest build on my Beelink Mini MXiii 2g/16g....I updated via update file from 2.0.9 (26.11.16) and used the latest 2gb/1gb Realtek device tree. It uploaded as planned and I have turned on and off 5 times with remote and it boots perfect on each occasion. Hope this of some use.

Cheers

• It uploaded as planned and I have turned on and off 5 times with remote and it boots perfect on each occasion. Hope this of some use.

I also own a Mini MXIII (2G/8G) and there is no boot issues. I would like to summarize boot issue of different boxes I have.
    Mini MX (S905 Rev 020b 1G/8G), no boot issue.
    M18 (S905 Rev 020b 2G/16G), boot issues
    MX64 (S905 Rev 020b 2G/16G), boot issues
    Mini MXIII (S905 Rev 020c 2G/8G), no boot issue.
    Mini M8S II (S905x Rev 020a 2G/8G), no boot issue.
    Mini MXIII II (S905x Rev 020a 2G/16G), no boot issue.

They are listed here in the order that I bought them. 'Rev' is the processor revision shown on the 'Hardware Info' page under 'System Info' tab. Of the 6 different S905/S905x boxes that I own, only M18 and MX64 boxes have boot issues. They have several things in common:
    1. They both use device tree gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit_OTG_Port (could there be problems with the dtb file?)
    2. They both came with a power button.
    3. They both equipped with OTG port.
    4. They both have dual band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (Mini MXIII II also have dual band WiFi but definitely use a different chip)

• It's not my box, he says it's a NEXBOX A95X Android 6.0 TV Box Amlogic S905X Quad Core 3D 4K HD Support 2.4G Wi-Fi 1GB/8GB.
    I told him that the reset button is behind the AV plug. He says it doesn't have one!

Then he needs to look again it is in the hole, not next to or above, it is in the AV hole, all the way inside. Use a small screw driver or tooth pick. It is there, I have used it, I have 3 NEXBOX A95X 2GB/16GB boxes. I have used it to reset all 3 of them. Haven't used this for this yet, why I am here now, to see how well it works on it as kodi on these boxes so far in android is well, crap, and even worse with kodi 17 as it has dropped support for hardware acceleration for them. Hoping that it running under linux it will be better.

• Could someone please explain how I can boot this firmware from an SD card or USB stick on a Scishion V88 Pro (1G/8G 100MBit/s LAN)?

I went through the list of installation possibilities:

• toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.

I looked at the AV port carefully. There does not seem to be a button hidden inside.

• menu button method (works with very few devices): disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push menu button on your remote control and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.

Tried this. Didn't work.

• recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.

Tried this, wasn't offered the option "reboot to recovery".

• recovery method (2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose any ZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.

I have an "UPDATE&BACKUP" app. I launch it. I click "select" under local update. I get an empty screen, no ZIP file to choose from. I tried inserting the SD card and
    inserting a USB stick in all four USB plugs.

• recovery method (3rd variant): if your box is rooted, use terminal emulator app and execute
      Code
      reboot update

command

I installed the Terminal Emulator app. Got root. Typed "reboot update". The box booted into Android recovery :heart:
    But how do I boot into LE? I see two options that could work: "reboot system now" (boots into Android) and "reboot to bootloader" (boots into Android).

• recovery method (4th variant): enable ADB (Google it) and issue
      Code
      adb reboot update

command

Haven't tried this yet.

If someone here has the V88 Pro please let me know how you managed to boot into LE either off SD card or USB stick (my preferred option for now) or how you managed to install it into internal storage.

Edited once, last by Inesca (January 2, 2017 at 9:14 PM).

• Inesca Can you please post a list of files that you have on your SD card/USB disk that you wish to boot from?

Sure.
    I used "LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.3.011.img.gz" with Rufus (by setting it to "DD image") on the SD card. I did not uncompress the .img.gz file first. That appears to be OK because I then got the resulting 512MB "BOOT" partition as expected.

I then copied glx_p212_1g.dtb onto the "BOOT" partition using the destination filename "dtb.img".

The boot partition now has these files:

Code
    18.12.2016  20:05         8.777.728 kernel.img
    18.12.2016  20:05       131.862.528 SYSTEM
    18.12.2016  20:05                48 kernel.img.md5
    18.12.2016  20:05                48 SYSTEM.md5
    01.01.2015  01:53    <DIR>          LOST.DIR
    18.12.2016  20:05             1.033 aml_autoscript
    18.12.2016  20:05               668 s905_autoscript
    02.01.2017  20:53    <DIR>          Android
    29.12.2016  18:31            37.960 dtb.img

Should I try the 32bit version instead?

Anyway, here's what I tried in the meantime:

I downloaded the LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0.3.011.zip file from to_internal_in_recovery and copied it on the BOOT partition as well.

I used the update app, was able to select the ZIP and clicked "upgrade".

It then booted into Android recovery, however there quickly was an error message:

Edited once, last by Inesca (January 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM).

• Inesca Please stick to trying to boot from SD card, this is the safest way to test if my LE build works on your box. Can you please confirm that before you type reboot update the SD card is inserted?

If you wish to install directly to internal memory, you should unzip the contents of the downloaded ZIP file first and choose a file with "-update.zip" suffix in Recovery. Remember to also have the recovery tree renamed to ledtb.img on the SD card.

• Inesca Please stick to trying to boot from SD card, this is the safest way to test if my LE build works on your box. Can you please confirm that before you type reboot update the SD card is inserted?

If you wish to install directly to internal memory, you should unzip the contents of the downloaded ZIP file first and choose a file with "-update.zip" suffix in Recovery. Remember to also have the recovery tree renamed to ledtb.img on the SD card.

Alright, now I'm getting somewhere. Thank you! I inserted the SD card and did the reboot update again. This time it boots into LibreElec. It's now stuck (with the rotating dash animation) at the "Resizing /storage" step since more than two minutes.

I think something went wrong.

I'm using a fast Samsung Evo+ 64GB MicroSDXC card (with adapter). Is it OK to use SDXC cards or should I use smaller SDHC cards?

Is it safe to turn off the device?

Never mind! I waited a little longer and finally it proceeded past this step! Fantastic.

Next problem: The remote is not working at all. I guess I have to find a working remote.conf for the V88 Pro somewhere?

Edited once, last by Inesca (January 2, 2017 at 11:30 PM).

• I have a V88 pro too, and I just made a ekstra file called update.zip (just an empty file) on my SD card. I booted in to Android, and I told Android to start updating using that update.zip.
    Box rebooted and loaded Libreelec.
    All done by remote control :)

Edited once, last by Wingman112 (January 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM).