Posts by Inesca

Here's a little report for the Scishion V88 Pro 1G/8G Amlogic S905x player:

After I got it to boot from the SD card and used the right remote.conf (attached, thanks Pelican), it works really well! :heart:
    I watched a movie via LAN and it was super smooth.

Here are some observations:

- The power LED is always red. With Android it is blue when the device is turned on and red when it's on standby. Can this be changed for LibreElec?

- I changed the remote control power button to "standby" in the settings, however the V88 Pro can't be woken up again after entering standby using the remote (works with Android).

- CPU temperature as displayed in Kodi is quite high, around 80°C in Kodi (without doing anything). Is there a way to improve it (in software)? Doesn't get much higher than that even when playing a movie, however.

- There is plenty of free memory even with a 1GB device (8xxMB memory total and only 160MB in use while in Kodi)

Inesca Please stick to trying to boot from SD card, this is the safest way to test if my LE build works on your box. Can you please confirm that before you type reboot update the SD card is inserted?

If you wish to install directly to internal memory, you should unzip the contents of the downloaded ZIP file first and choose a file with "-update.zip" suffix in Recovery. Remember to also have the recovery tree renamed to ledtb.img on the SD card.

Alright, now I'm getting somewhere. Thank you! I inserted the SD card and did the reboot update again. This time it boots into LibreElec. It's now stuck (with the rotating dash animation) at the "Resizing /storage" step since more than two minutes.

I think something went wrong.

I'm using a fast Samsung Evo+ 64GB MicroSDXC card (with adapter). Is it OK to use SDXC cards or should I use smaller SDHC cards?

Is it safe to turn off the device?

Never mind! I waited a little longer and finally it proceeded past this step! Fantastic.

Next problem: The remote is not working at all. I guess I have to find a working remote.conf for the V88 Pro somewhere?

Inesca Can you please post a list of files that you have on your SD card/USB disk that you wish to boot from?

Sure.
    I used "LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.3.011.img.gz" with Rufus (by setting it to "DD image") on the SD card. I did not uncompress the .img.gz file first. That appears to be OK because I then got the resulting 512MB "BOOT" partition as expected.

I then copied glx_p212_1g.dtb onto the "BOOT" partition using the destination filename "dtb.img".

The boot partition now has these files:

Code
    18.12.2016  20:05         8.777.728 kernel.img
    18.12.2016  20:05       131.862.528 SYSTEM
    18.12.2016  20:05                48 kernel.img.md5
    18.12.2016  20:05                48 SYSTEM.md5
    01.01.2015  01:53    <DIR>          LOST.DIR
    18.12.2016  20:05             1.033 aml_autoscript
    18.12.2016  20:05               668 s905_autoscript
    02.01.2017  20:53    <DIR>          Android
    29.12.2016  18:31            37.960 dtb.img

Should I try the 32bit version instead?

Anyway, here's what I tried in the meantime:

I downloaded the LibreELEC-S905.arm-7.0.3.011.zip file from to_internal_in_recovery and copied it on the BOOT partition as well.

I used the update app, was able to select the ZIP and clicked "upgrade".

It then booted into Android recovery, however there quickly was an error message:

Could someone please explain how I can boot this firmware from an SD card or USB stick on a Scishion V88 Pro (1G/8G 100MBit/s LAN)?

I went through the list of installation possibilities:

• toothpick method: disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push reset button and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.

I looked at the AV port carefully. There does not seem to be a button hidden inside.

• menu button method (works with very few devices): disconnect the power supply, insert card/drive, push menu button on your remote control and connect the power while holding the button. Wait until LibreELEC logo appears and release the button.

Tried this. Didn't work.

• recovery method: boot into Android, insert card/thumb drive and choose Reboot to recovery. Your box should boot into LibreELEC.

Tried this, wasn't offered the option "reboot to recovery".

• recovery method (2nd variant): if you have "Update" app pre-installed open it, insert SD card with LE/connect USB drive, and choose any ZIP file in the app for update. Your box should reboot to LE.

I have an "UPDATE&BACKUP" app. I launch it. I click "select" under local update. I get an empty screen, no ZIP file to choose from. I tried inserting the SD card and
    inserting a USB stick in all four USB plugs.

• recovery method (3rd variant): if your box is rooted, use terminal emulator app and execute
      Code
      reboot update

command

I installed the Terminal Emulator app. Got root. Typed "reboot update". The box booted into Android recovery :heart:
    But how do I boot into LE? I see two options that could work: "reboot system now" (boots into Android) and "reboot to bootloader" (boots into Android).

• recovery method (4th variant): enable ADB (Google it) and issue
      Code
      adb reboot update

command

Haven't tried this yet.

If someone here has the V88 Pro please let me know how you managed to boot into LE either off SD card or USB stick (my preferred option for now) or how you managed to install it into internal storage.

I successfuly boot the latest build on V88 PRO with S905x chip.
    Will try later to install to internal memory.

Thanks for the support.

How did you boot it? I wrote an image to the SD card using Rufus and then inserted it into the SD card slot and booted.
    It booted the stock Android 6.01 firmware instead.
    I put the SD card into a USB card reader and tried again with all four USB ports.
    Every time it boots the stock firmware. :huh:

I have V88 Pro S905x 1G/8G.

Thanks!

Well, as soon as it's more than 26€ I have to pay 19% extra for tax (maybe not if I order from GearBest).

But if 1GB RAM is enough... why spend more?

Right now the cheapest one I can find on GearBest, Banggood, AliExpress is one called Scishion V88 PRO for 24.19€ from AliExpress

Do they all support DTS passthrough?

Hello,

I could use some advice regarding S905x devices and what to look out for.

Is 1GB RAM enough?
    Can I just order the cheapest one from AliExpress?

My requirements:

I want to stream H.264, H.265 and VP9 movies from a NAS (using Samba) via Ethernet to a FullHD non 3d projector.

I have an Onkyo HDMI TX-NR609 receiver that can deal with audio by itself.