[x86-64] Dolby Vision Development for PC (Intel & AMD)

  • There is no forum rule banning CE from being mentioned. However comparison discussions have a habit of attracting trolls, and we prefer to avoid that kind of behaviour. Just keep the discussion sensible.

    Yeah of course I was not aware about that, thanks for the informations

  • There is no forum rule banning CE from being mentioned. However comparison discussions have a habit of attracting trolls, and we prefer to avoid that kind of behaviour. Just keep the discussion sensible.

    Thanks for clearing that up, Chewitt. I completely understand, and I'll keep the discussion sensible and constructive. Appreciate it.

  • Thank you, I’m just happy to contribute. Your iGPU is similar to mine and considerably more powerful than the N100, so the heavier logging should be less of an issue. I’d still recommend updating to the latest version.

    Regarding information similar to CoreELEC, I’m not very familiar with exactly what it displays. But details like the DV profile and CM version should be straightforward to expose, since I already have them in the logs.

    As for playback options, I’m currently focusing on standard, TV-led Dolby Vision. Adding LLDV (player-led) would be a substantial project. The player need to handle the display mapping currently done by the TV. That could increase GPU load and make things harder for small Intel iGPU. The main benefit would be compatibility with old TVs that require player-led DV and can not perform the display mapping. That said, I’m less familiar with LLDV, so there may be other use cases or benefits

    For me, the most interesting Dolby Vision processing features are:

    • Baking DV into HDR10
    • Generating HDR10+ metadata from DV

    As far as I know, CoreELEC doesn't support this. With a stronger GPU on x86, we actually have the performance headroom to experiment with this kind of workload, and this challenge drives me more. But if you seen more usefull usecases to cover I am listening.

    I'm interested in HDR10+ to DV, which I already use on AM6B+ but I have very few HDR10+ only videos.

  • Still getting a dropped frame about every second w/FEL rips w/R0.2.1a-opt1. Didn't test MEL.

    N150 has solid horsepower though to play things most Amlogic boxes struggle with, like a 35Mbps 4:2:2 MPEG2 C-Band capture I have, and a 8K/24p AV1 HDR re-encode sample of 'Top Gun: Maverick'. It has has no trouble playing an 8K SDR 60p clip downloaded off YouTube.

  • Still getting a dropped frame about every second w/FEL rips w/R0.2.1a-opt1. Didn't test MEL.

    N150 has solid horsepower though to play things most Amlogic boxes struggle with, like a 35Mbps 4:2:2 MPEG2 C-Band capture I have, and a 8K/24p AV1 HDR re-encode sample of 'Top Gun: Maverick'. It has has no trouble playing an 8K SDR 60p clip downloaded off YouTube.

    Can you please share the log? did you try to be on ethernet?

    I started looking into the logs of w46n3r who's also getting frame drops every second on a FEL playback with an N100. I don't think it's coming from a saturated GPU, but I suspect the network connection and SMB. I'm going to push a release with slightly more detailed logs to have a better understanding.

  • Can you please share the log? did you try to be on ethernet?

    I started looking into the logs of w46n3r who's also getting frame drops every second on a FEL playback with an N100. I don't think it's coming from a saturated GPU, but I suspect the network connection and SMB.

    I went ahead and did some more testing on the R.02.1a-opt1.
    Tried USB as source, did not change anything. Still 90+ frame drops.

    BUT, disabling 4K 23.97Hz as valid refresh, white-listing 4K 59.94 and enabling 3:2 pull-down resulted in zero drops in rendering.

    I do not know what to make of this, heh.

  • I went ahead and did some more testing on the R.02.1a-opt1.
    Tried USB as source, did not change anything. Still 90+ frame drops.

    BUT, disabling 4K 23.97Hz as valid refresh, white-listing 4K 59.94 and enabling 3:2 pull-down resulted in zero drops in rendering.

    I do not know what to make of this, heh.

    Intersting, I will investigate this WE. I pushed a pre-release the R0.3.0 (one DV to HDR10 conversion output is not finished to consider this as a release) but I have enriched a little bit the log. Can you reproduce the whole setup you describe and send me back the log file.

  • an you reproduce the whole setup you describe and send me back the log file.

    Ok, here it is. Done with the latest version

    09/28 WebFolder
    Upload files online for free with no file size limit. Get a shareable link instantly, no signup required, with end-to-end encryption and auto-expiring files.
    file.kiwi

    One log is the playback at 23.97Hz with drops and the other is the playback at 59.94Hz using 3:2 pulldown with no frame drops.

  • Thanks for the logs,

    It's hard to tell what's causing this, as it doesn't clearly show up. I'll audit my drivers and might ask you for another log later unfortunately. Could you confirm whether you get any dropped frames on the latest LE build when playing the exact same file that falls back to HDR10?

    I'll get back to dev work this weekend, I need to get back to my job now.

    In parallel, I'm working on DV to HDR10 conversion and I have something VERY cool in mind, I think we can push things much further than what's currently available.

    My goal is to reproduce the Dolby Vision rendering as accurately as possible while outputting standard HDR10.

    The renderer would use the full Dolby Vision metadata set, including the scene analysis, content mapping information and L2/L8 target trims, together with key characteristics of the actual display, such as peak brightness, black level and color gamut.

    The idea is to perform the display mapping on the GPU for that specific TV, the resulting HDR10 image gets as close as possible to what the same display would have shown through a native Dolby Vision rendering path. I will try to retrieve these parameters automatically from a database using the TV model detected through EDID. If your TV isn’t found, you’ll be able to enter them manually.


    EDIT : and also some information about the development and support :

    - Good news: I found a cheap N95 Mini PC, which will become my main Intel development platform. My goal is to focus primarily on Intel N95/N100/N150 series. these CPU are affordable, efficient and could become a real alternative to Android boxes, while potentially being cheaper, more powerful, and much more flexible. Prices have gone up recently, but they are still very interesting platforms.

    - More good news: I’ll also be able to start working on AMD x86 drivers much sooner than expected, using my 7430U system as the main AMD development platform.

    Edited 2 times, last by CroqueMr (September 29, 2026 at 10:26 AM).

  • I just tested it. No frame drops playing at 23.97Hz on the latest nightly.

    Thank you and last test that will be helpful.

    If you go on the pre-release build R0.3.0 in github, you have in the settings the possibility to Activate DV support or disable the DV : 3 modes exists in Players settings.

    - Activate Standard DV (same support as R0.2.1a)

    - Disable DV support (supposed to be the same as KODI 22 Beta 3)

    - Convert DV to HDR10 (Convert DV to HDR10 with FEL reconstruction)


    Can you try every mode and tel me if you see any drop?

    Sorry the for manipulation.

  • Can you try every mode and tel me if you see any drop?

    - Activate Standard DV: 90+ drops
    - Disable DV support: No drops (indeed like the latest nightly).
    - Convert DV to HDR10: 90+ drops

    Went ahead and tried with 59.94 with pulldown, no drops on any of the modes.

    Just one detail: I'm always using simplified statistics display, not the pretty one enabled with "O". This one apparently is one video layer too much and causes 30+ drops even on Convert DV + pulldown.

    Ps. The conversion is clearly heavier on the GPU, but at 23.97Hz, in the pretty statistics GPU draw never exceeds 75% (about 5% more than pure DV).

  • - Activate Standard DV: 90+ drops
    - Disable DV support: No drops (indeed like the latest nightly).
    - Convert DV to HDR10: 90+ drops

    Went ahead and tried with 59.94 with pulldown, no drops on any of the modes.

    Just one detail: I'm always using simplified statistics display, not the pretty one enabled with "O". This one apparently is one video layer too much and causes 30+ drops even on Convert DV + pulldown.

    Thanks a lot for the very quick feedback.

    You can disable the new playback information in the menu, right under the Dolby Vision mode. This is a pre-release version, so I'll be adjusting and optimizing it,it won't stay like this.

    Thank you again for the feedback, it's very useful. The issue isn't at the kernel/driver level, otherwise we wouldn't see drops on the DV to HDR10 conversion. The drops are occurring earlier, in the rendering stage.