7.0.3.010 build for S905/S905X

• As I understand it the device trees in the 009 stable buuild (not development builds) and 010 builds are the same, is this correct ? If so, it cant be the device tree that is causing the boot failures. Running 009 build on MiniMX V1 (2G/16G), S905 works fine I dont have the boot failure issue on this build.

But the 010 build does have the boot failure issue.

On my second box new S905X MiniM8S II (2g/16g), I have tried both the 7.0.3.010 64bit and 32 bit builds from SD card, I am currently on the 32 Bit build, it's definitely better on memory usage after playing videos the box generally returns to 10% Memory usage 181 meg. Previouslly this normally used to go up to 550 meg and not really drop after stopping video streams, depending how many videos you played. I havent tested extensively yet but 32 bit build definitely seems to have helped with the memory leak issue. Internal WiFi also works fine 2.4ghz only on this box, I tested streaming a 1080p stream and absolutely fine no issues, my box is only 2 metres away from my router though...

On another note, this MiniM8S II is a lot faster to boot up than my MiniMX in terms of booting into the android OS and also LibreElec. maybe it has faster flash memory. On bootup it displays a Google TV Boot Logo followed by a MBOX boot logo. Also seems snappier and faster in normal usage though. In the MiniMX im using a Class 10 Samsung EVO card (48meg read), in the new S905X MiniM8SII Im using a 16gb Mixza Tohaoll class 10 Monkey edition card (30 meg read)... In terms of read/write rates the Samsung card in the MiniMX shouild be better...

Maybe you are just lucky, because one post under yours
    there is just another user confirming, that with 009 (and
    the fitting device tree file) the box is not booting.

As far as I remember there was a device tree file for the very
    first 009 version, that got pulled, before Nov, 6th ... and this
    one worked.

But maybe I am wrong.

At least, I know everything after Nov, 6th is hell on some boxes
    with S905 chipset.

Edited once, last by sYCO (December 12, 2016 at 11:10 AM).

• This is not true. All .009 and .010 device trees are the same.

Yes, I know, but did you not have a very first 009 release with
    a different device tree file BEFORE Nov, 6th? But as I said, I
    might be wrong.

I can just say, with 009 and 010 the no boot issue started. :\

I am even afraid to try the first 009 again and will stay on 008
    for now, because it is just too much work to set up everything
    everyday. :)

Is not there a simple backup way to copy the complete SD card,
    make the update and if it does not work, restore the previous
    thing (like on Android with TWRP).

Then the testing/updating would not be such a pain.

• Yes, I know, but did you not have a very first 009 release with
    a different device tree file BEFORE Nov, 6th? But as I said, I
    might be wrong.

Device trees were the same. ;)

Is not there a simple backup way to copy the complete SD card,

There is a very simple way to downgrade if you're using SD card: if you're using Windows you can use 7Zip to unpack .img.gz file down to first SD card partition content. Then simply replace kernel.img and SYSTEM on SD card with the ones that you unpacked.

• There is a very simple way to downgrade if you're using SD card: if you're using Windows you can use 7Zip to unpack .img.gz file down to first SD card partition content. Then simply replace kernel.img and SYSTEM on SD card with the ones that you unpacked

I very often do upgrades/downgrades this way.

I have never had a non-booting issue using this method but on several occasions I have had a lot of wonkiness actually using the box afterwards. If this happens, I simply copy the img to .update folder and let it do its thing and all is well. I attribute this to using dodgy sd card adapters on my laptop when copying the system images.

• Just want to give a thumbs up for Kazaq's libreelec 7.0.3.10 build, posted this also in the kodi forum.

It runs fine on my newly purchased S905 2/16GB Q-box.
    Burned the LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.3.010.img build with the gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb device tree on an old USB stick using Rufus.
    After some messing and retrying (unplugged USB-remote-control stick and LAN, Rufus USB stick in the first USB port on the left), the Q-box booted libreelec using the toothpick method!

A cheap S905(X) box is IMO clearly the way to go if you want Kodi on a budget, while skipping all the noise and trouble that comes with Android.

The only thing I'm missing is a decent normal web browser in libreelec...

Thank you Kodi team and Kazaq!

Edited once, last by hansje (December 12, 2016 at 12:59 PM).

• I can say 100% its not with 009, have been using it since release and never had issues, the booting issues only started after i flashed the devl builds prior to 010 release. Going back to 009 and the issue goes with it.

Edited once, last by JonSnow (December 12, 2016 at 1:35 PM).

• Is not there a simple backup way to copy the complete SD card,

Then the testing/updating would not be such a pain.

you can also 'dd' the entire sdcard to a file as 'image' backup and dd it back if testing/updating requires restore.

• There is a very simple way to downgrade if you're using SD card: if you're using Windows you can use 7Zip to unpack .img.gz file down to first SD card partition content. Then simply replace kernel.img and SYSTEM on SD card with the ones that you unpacked.

I installed the 32-bit 7.0.3.10 version. Is it safe to downgrade to 7.0.2.009 using this method?

• It runs fine on my newly purchased S905 2/16GB Q-box.
    Burned the LibreELEC-S905.aarch64-7.0.3.010.img build with the gxbb_p200_2G_1Gbit.dtb device tree on an old USB stick using Rufus.
    After some messing and retrying (unplugged USB-remote-control stick and LAN, Rufus USB stick in the first USB port on the left), the Q-box booted libreelec using the toothpick method!

I have a Q-Box too, I didn't use this device tree and used the default one. I'll try this and see if it works better (I have random freezes at boot).

Why don't you install LibreElec to NAND by the way? Is it because you really need to have a browser on the box and need to access Android?

• It has been happening with Qualcomm Wifi module in my TX5 Pro S905x 2GB/16GB so i don't believe it is Aigale related.
    Just letting you know.

Interesting - this was reported in the thread regarding development of the Aigale WiFi driver support (big thanks kszaq !!!) - I have a Beelink MiniMXIII II
    I had believed this to be just related to that.
    The signature is that if you reboot, occasionally the driver will not start; you must (effectively) stop & restart the driver by disable/re-enable of the WiFi in the LE Settings - so you are saying this happens also with the Qualcomm driver used in your TX5? (it apparently uses the AP6255)
    The good news is it is, at worst, a 'nuisance' rather than a show-stopper, where all you have to do is toggle the WiFi;
    Weird one though if indeed also happening with other driver

• There is a very simple way to downgrade if you're using SD card: if you're using Windows you can use 7Zip to unpack .img.gz file down to first SD card partition content. Then simply replace kernel.img and SYSTEM on SD card with the ones that you unpacked.

Alright, I will check this out later on. Right now 7zip did not show the files kernel.img or SYSTEM in the img.gz.
    [hr]

you can also 'dd' the entire sdcard to a file as 'image' backup and dd it back if testing/updating requires restore.

That sounds good. Can you tell me how? Which tool do I need under Windows?

Edited once, last by sYCO (December 12, 2016 at 4:13 PM).

• Alright, I will check this out later on. Right now 7zip did not show the files kernel.img or SYSTEM in the img.gz.

You need to open img.gz, then .img inside it and finally 0.fat. Then you will see needed files. You can keep opening in 7zip, no need to unpack.

• I have localized an issue in my installation. Every time I apply a theme other than the default one, LE freezes and I have to power it off.
    Is anyone using a custom theme/skin with their installation?

Is there anything I can do to resolve this other than backing up the library and hard resetting everything to factory?

I even noticed that using the Aeon Flux theme prohibits the video player to change the refresh rate to 24Hz. It changes it from 60Hz to 50Hz for whatever reason. No issues using the default skin.

• I have localized an issue in my installation. Every time I apply a theme other than the default one, LE freezes and I have to power it off.
    Is anyone using a custom theme/skin with their installation?

Is there anything I can do to resolve this other than backing up the library and hard resetting everything to factory?

I even noticed that using the Aeon Flux theme prohibits the video player to change the refresh rate to 24Hz. It changes it from 60Hz to 50Hz for whatever reason. No issues using the default skin.

I always hated the standard theme. I am using the
    AppTV theme in Libreelec and the Quartz skin in
    Xbian (RPI).

No crashes/issues there.