Gamestarter: Retrogaming add-ons (RPi/Generic)

• I need to replicate this because last time I used a playlist it worked ok...

I posted over on the RetroArch forums about it. The solution that worked for me was to go in after building a playlist and configure the playlist to use a specific core rather than have it display compatible ones on loading a new game. Not sure what caused it, because this is a fresh/clean install. But.. it worked and that's good enough for me!

• Thanks, i will try it later today
    Really appreciate it

EDIT: Just tried it ... it works !!!!! you're awesome ! thank you again

EDIT2: bummer, Quake no longer works (i backed it up before deleting the ports folder) .. just wondering if i should run Gamemaker pi ports again ? (might mess everything up ... but i'll give it go)

Edited once, last by Sevren68 (August 2, 2016 at 3:02 AM).

• I posted over on the RetroArch forums about it. The solution that worked for me was to go in after building a playlist and configure the playlist to use a specific core rather than have it display compatible ones on loading a new game. Not sure what caused it, because this is a fresh/clean install. But.. it worked and that's good enough for me!

Yeah, I don't know why but the segmentation fault comes when choosing a core for a game from the list... I tried in my compilation for LE8alpha and also happens, but in Retroarch 1.3.4 it doesn't...

I see the workaround they give you in libretro forums and it seem to work (settings > playlist and manually associate the playlist(s) with a core) what I wonder is: is that a 1.3.6 bug or just an issue of my compilation's??

EDIT2: bummer, Quake no longer works (i backed it up before deleting the ports folder) .. just wondering if i should run Gamemaker pi ports again ? (might mess everything up ... but i'll give it go)

After copying back quake folder and quake sh file you have to give this last file permissions... you can do it over FTP (right click and select all execution/reading permissions) or over SSH (chmod 755). Try it.

By the way, a kodi forums user is continuing Advanced Launcher work, is making a fork of this addon and adding some improvements... I will stay tuned...

• After copying back quake folder and quake sh file you have to give this last file permissions... you can do it over FTP (right click and select all execution/reading permissions) or over SSH (chmod 755). Try it.

I right clicked on it and it's already set to 755 ? ... noticed the config.cfg, pak0.pak and pak1.pak are 644 (should i change them to 755 ?)
    edit: changed the 644 to 755 ... no dice

Edited once, last by Sevren68 (August 2, 2016 at 1:05 PM).

• bite_your_idols

It works here, no crash. Not a good comparison though, as I'm running a recent git version where it might have been fixed.

Now I see what these Lakka variables are for. They are being put in the default retroarch.cfg as playlist_names and playlist_cores, so you won't be asked what core to use for each game.

Thanks for the clue... There are some bad paths in my retroarch.cfg so that can be the error, I replace them and it seems to work ok.

hansolo77 you can replace your retroarch.cfg file for the one included in my github retroarch package:
    retroarch.tar.gz

if you have your own customized config file you can edit it manually and exec find & replace with any text/code editor and change
    "storage/emulators/retroarch/cores/" for "storage/.config/retroarch/cores/" in playlist_cores, near the end of the file.

Sevren68 you can try to launch it using ssh in order to see the output log and discover what is failing (in my next update I will include a log text file for debugging). Also you can try to download it using retroarch settings menu, "add content" option or something similar...

• Simple enough fix. It must have been a carry over from your "customized" installer. I made a backup copy of my config just incase and made the changes. If I don't report back, consider it fixed here too. After looking at it, it makes since why it would crash, because those "storage/emulators/retroarch/cores/" bits don't even exist.

• Sevren68 you can try to launch it using ssh in order to see the output log and discover what is failing (in my next update I will include a log text file for debugging). Also you can try to download it using retroarch settings menu, "add content" option or something similar...

This is strange ... i went into Gamestarter config and selected "Retroarch" as the default Launcher

and Quake works fine

eg. Load Content > Select File and Detect Core > ports > quake > id1 > pak1.pak

and the game plays ok

Edited once, last by Sevren68 (August 3, 2016 at 5:38 AM).

• Did anybody successfully get the scummvm core to work? I didn't find anything about scummvm in this thread or on bite_your_idols' github repository.

Here's where I'm stuck:
    I started the RetroArch frontend, installed/updated the scummvm core (obviously wasn't installed by default) and tried to start it. The result is a black screen, followed by Kodi restarting...

I just recently installed LibreElec 8 (Alpha 3) and GameStarter Addon 2.1.0 (the LE8 thing). Am I just experiencing those "segmentation fault" problem that were mentioned in some of the last posts? How can I check?

Anyway, might as well read this post as a "scummvm request".

Keep up the good work!

• Did anybody successfully get the scummvm core to work? I didn't find anything about scummvm in this thread or on bite_your_idols' github repository.

Here's where I'm stuck:
    I started the RetroArch frontend, installed/updated the scummvm core (obviously wasn't installed by default) and tried to start it. The result is a black screen, followed by Kodi restarting...

I just recently installed LibreElec 8 (Alpha 3) and GameStarter Addon 2.1.0 (the LE8 thing). Am I just experiencing those "segmentation fault" problem that were mentioned in some of the last posts? How can I check?

Anyway, might as well read this post as a "scummvm request".

Keep up the good work!

I read somewhere that scummvm is only working on x86 PC right now.

• I read somewhere that scummvm is only working on x86 PC right now.

Thanks for your opinion, but I'm 100% sure that scummvm DOES work on the RPI 2. I had it running myself 2 weeks ago, before I decided to give LibreElec a shot.
    My setup back then was "OSMC" and "RetroPie". I used retrosmc for this and it worked like a charm (only had to post-install the scummvm binary via the setup script).

I think that at least the scummvm core itself should be startable. This would open up the Scummvm Menu, but that's not happening...

Maybe bite_your_idols can try running the scummvm core?

• To Be Honest.. I don't even have it running on my PC, RetroArch or not. Never spent the time to invest in making it work. Same goes for things like Infocom's. There comes a point where you have TOO much and just no time left to actually play anything.

• sensenmann

The scummvm core works on my RPi2, although I'm not using this addon. You should try running it manually from CLI in order to get the error output, which should tell you what went wrong.

Did that! First I stopped Kodi and enabled ALSA (just like bite_your_idols' skript does).

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin # systemctl stop kodi
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin # modprobe snd_bcm2835

Then I tried to start the core:

Code
    LibreELEC:~/.kodi/addons/script.gamestarter/resources/bin # ./retroarch -c /storage/.config/retroarch/retroarch.cfg -L /storage/.config/retroarch/cores/scummvm_libretro.so
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Edited once, last by sensenmann (August 8, 2016 at 3:15 PM).