Posts by hansolo77

Yeah I'm not sure how well 4k will be on a Pi 4. I dropped the resolution down to 1080p, and it does properly switch over to 4k when I play a stream. BUT, the results are horrible. Not sure what's wrong. The color/saturation is mostly gone, and I get a strange white bar across the top of the video that causes a really bad bleed down into the movie. Also, I'm not getting proper passthrough. My receiver stays in ProLogic II mode rather than switching over to the Dolby or DTS modes. The video I'm watching I just grabbed as a test. It's supposed to be full HDR with TrueHD 7.1 audio. Interestingly enough though, when I direct stream it through Plex on my TV, it works exactly like should, with the TrueHD passthrough, and my TV switches on the icon indicating it's HDR.

Maybe it's a codec issue. Maybe it's something that will be fixed in Kodi 19. Here's a clip of what I see.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You can still set the whitelist to allow 4K resolutions and Kodi will switch to them when you play 4K media, but then return to the 1080@60 GUI afterwards - the GUI will be snappier at 1080p.

I never thought about that, having it switch to 4k as needed. I thought I just needed it set to that resolution by default. Something worth tinkering with now.

You might need to force the Wireless Regulatory Domain for your counrty so the card is using the right radio properties before all frequencies show up correctly.

That makes sense. If the device isn't pre-configured to use my country, that could cause some problems. Raspberry Pi's come from Europe and I'm in the USA, so that might be the culprit.

Kodi v19 (LE10) will be entirely Python3, no Python2. It sounds like add-on authors are starting to retool around Py3 which is good.

Awesome to know that. Now I just have to wait. :)

here you can find and test the latest kodi 19 build with Python 3:

LibreELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi (Kodi 19.0)

Thanks for that. I think I'll play it safe and make a backup of a stable SD card before trying the testbuilds.

My advice is to stay with the stable branch, and wait until Python 3 officially arrives.

I agree with this as well. I don't mind tinkering but I will definitely play it safe with a backup of a working copy first.

Thanks guys for you responses! It gives me something to play with now!

Updates:

1 - Not sure what I did. I left the Rpi 4 unplugged for a few hours when I went for my 2-week post checkup. Plugged it in when I got home to tinker some more, and now it's running at 3840x2160 @ 60hz. Go figure. I've rebooted it a dozen times and it's maintaining that rate now. <shrug>

2 - This is still an issue when I'm using the default skin. I've installed my favorite skin from xbmbbrazil; Aeon MQ8. Seems like the problem with fractured animation is mostly gone now. A couple of times I've seen it I was actually TRYING to make it do it by holding down the arrow on my remote to make it rotate through the screens really fast. In regular usage, I don't think I'll ever see it now.

3 - Still curious about this. At first I thought maybe my router wasn't outputting 5G. Our internet had went out for a few days and I had reset the router to default settings in the process of troubleshooting. It definitely is doing 5G, and I actually had to reconfigure my Blu-Ray player after the fact because my SSID for the connection had changed. So 5G is working but the Rpi 4 (or this of version of LibreELEC) just doesn't want to see it.

4 - I think I fixed this too. I found an addon in the LibreELEC repository under Program Addons called "JRE For BD-J Menus". Guess that's all I needed. Seems to work great without any more errors.

Going forward now, the only issue I seem to be having since I installed this skin and have been slowly adding in other addons, is this:

5 - Python 3. Seems like everything wants to use it and most of my addons have a required dependency for it. I started noticing this with my Rpi 3 before upgrading too. It was my understanding this would be coming with the new version of Kodi. I guess since we're still on Leia 18.6, that's why these errors are still popping up. Can anybody confirm that the next build will have Python 3? Is there any way to get around this before the new version comes out?

I didn't want to put all my issues in the Topic, so sorry it's a little vague.

History - I've been using Kodi since Isengard. Love it. I've been using LibreELEC since Jarvis (I believe). Started with a Pi 2, then a Pi 3. I waited to get a Pi 4 because the device was still new and had a lot of bugs. I knew I would want one though because it supports 4k video, has USB3, and has gigabit LAN. These are vast improvements and I am eager to make it work.

Current Setup - Rpi 4 4gb connected via microHDMI in HDMI0 to HDMI in on my TV. TV is an LG webOS TV OLED65C9PUA. Audio out is through the Digital Optical Out to a Denon AVR-591. LibreELEC release is 9.2.1. I have also gone into the LibreELEC settings and updated the "Bootloader EEPROM" and the "VIA USB3 Firmware)".

Problems -

1 - I saw on the LibreELEC homepage that in order for the Pi4 to output in 4k 60hz, I needed to add a line to the config.txt file "hdmi_enable_4kp60=1". I have done this. However, Kodi seems to load up in 4k 30hz. The resolution is 3840x2160. I also have an option to output at 4096x2160 but it only outputs at 30hz too. It looks like the only way I can get true 60hz is by selecting the 1920x1080p resolution, which isn't 4k. Is this a known problem that is being worked on, or am I missing something? I did add an extra bump to the memory split thinking it might help (I have the 4gb version of the Rpi 4 after all). I also tried adding the "old" format to enable 4k too, just in case the "new" format wasn't working. Here is a copy of my config.txt file:

External Content pastebin.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

2 - The Kodi menus seem to "fracture" when navigating. By fracture, I choppy, stuttery, and breaking during the moving animation. Kind of like when a low bandwidth video stream starts to pixelate. It's more or less a visual annoyance than anything else. I've never seen it before on any previous versions of Rpi's or Kodi's. I suspect it might have to do with the refresh rate not being 60hz, but I've seen it when I drop the resolution down to 1080p too. Increasing the memory split didn't help either. As a "temporary" workaround I've gone into the skin settings and disabled the "slide animations". Now it fades rather than slide, but I still l occasionally see it when I'm navigating. Like when in the settings menu and I move around the highlighted option boxes, the animation of making them bigger to indicate it's selected cause the animation to sometimes stutter.

3 - This is mostly just informational... My router is broadcasting WiFi at 2.4G and 5G, however when I tried to connect my Rpi 4 to it the only option I saw was 2.4G. Is the Rpi 4 still only capable of the 2.4G range and not 5G? If it IS supposed to support 5G, how do I access it? It's not really a big deal because I have it connected with the wired LAN for the gigabit speed anyway.

4 - I have some 4k Blu-Rays stored on my home server I'd like to start streaming through this device. I've never tried it before so I'm a little lost. Inside the Kodi Player settings, there is an option under Discs for the Blu-Ray Playback mode. It's default is "simplified menu" but when I select to use the original menu it gives me a popup about needing Java installed. I realize this is Kodi talking and not specific to LibreELEC. But, is there a way to install Java to make this work? If not, that's ok, I'd just like to know.

I think that's it. For the most part I'm just concerned about the first 2 problems. Not getting 4k 60hz is sort of a game changer. Maybe it'll be working right when the next version of Kodi comes out? As for the weird effects I'm seeing while navigating, that might go away once I have a different skin installed. But I would think the default built-in skin shouldn't have any issues like that. When I feel up to it, I will try to set up a tripod and record it happening so you guys can see what's going on better (I just had hernia laparoscopic and don't have much motivation right now).

Thanks for your help. And thanks immensely to the LibreELEC staff for developing and maintaining this awesome OS!

Seems like this is stable now. I've been sick so I've had a lot of free time playing around with this. Looks like every time I try to do a reboot, it works. Every now and then it might get stuck after shutting down and take a little longer to reboot, but it eventually does. The only lock up from a reboot I've had was when I was adding media to the library that one time. I was probably too impatient and tried to do the reboot while it was writing something to the SD card, and it got confused and locked up. I've not had it do that since.

I did kind of jinx it last night. When I got up to around 20 reboots I decided to try adding some movies from my server to the library. When that was done I attempted another reboot and it locked up on the "Power Options" menu. After power cycling, I was able to reboot another 10 times just fine. I didn't test any more because I was tired. I plan on testing a lot today because I'm off work. :)

Anyway, I'll check your downgrade to 8.9.003. (I'm confused, do you upgrade via command to 8.9.005?)

In Kodi settings, there an an extra option called Libreelec. Inside there is an option under "System" called "Update Channel". Change that to "Libreelec-9.0". Then, in the setting right under there (Available Versions) is the list of updates. Just pick 8.90.003. It will download it, reboot, then install it, then reboot again. That's it. It's a "downgrade" from 8.90.005 that I originally had because it was the last version before the bug. In your case, it would be an "upgrade", from 8.2.5 to 8.9xxx.

Also a quick update of further testing results... Using the Pi3B+ I bought, with the new SD card I bought.. I put on a backup of the SD card from my working RPi3. It runs fine, and has no issues rebooting. The RPi3 (that works) is running LibreELEC 8.2.5. So the "old" (current stable) OS works perfectly fine with the new RPi3B+ and the SD card. This is not an issue. The problem with locking up while rebooting only happens when I use the new OS (8.90.004). I've not tested with 8.90.005 yet, nor have I tested updating from 8.2.5. All my results have come from a fresh install.

EDIT - RPi3B.. Updating from 8.2.5 to 8.90.005 results in same issue. After it finished migrating the databases and loaded everything, I attempted the reboot. It took a moment after shutting down, but eventually booted back up. I then checked my forecast, then returned to the main menu and attempted another reboot. This time, it locked up/froze with the Power menu still on the screen and never resulted in a shut down..

EDIT 2 - Seems like it locked up 2 more times before I decided to try a "downgrade" and install 8.9.003. Surprisingly, after it finished downloading the update, it rebooted perfectly to start the install. Perhaps the methods to perform the reboot are different? Also, I have been doing various things to TRY and get it to lock up (watching videos, playing a CD, watching YouTube) and it reboots every time so far! Something has changed from 8.9.003 to 8.9.004.

Seems like it still does it. :( I opened up the new card, used it's own reader (just incase the reader I had been using maybe be causing corruption somewhere). Used the LibreElec downloader and installed the latest 004 beta for RPi2/3. Once it was up and running, and I configured the LAN settings, everything was fine. I rebooted. It went through like it should with no problems. I then went in and changed the regional settings (to get the proper time). Then I rebooted again. THAT reboot locked up. The screen shut down, but the system never restarted. I had to pull the plug and start over. The log is very unsupportive. It doesn't even show a restart being initiated.

kodi.old.log

For the record, my "restart" action is to click on the power button on the Kodi home screen (top left corner), then scrolling down and clicking Reboot.

EDIT - I just tried putting the new SD card in my regular Pi 3 I have been using, just to make sure it wasn't a faulty Pi. It does the exact same thing. It booted up fine. Then I go to do the reboot, and it just locks up. The screen didn't even go to black to shutdown this time. It just sits there at the Power Options menu. I think this definitely goes to prove the issue is not with the SD card and not with the Pi. It's something else, either Kodi or LibreELEC.

Not much to go on, I know. Do you guys think this is an OS (LibreElec) issue, a problem with Kodi 18 Beta, the SD card (it's a generic MicroCenter one), or maybe the Pi itself? This is brand new build. I just bought a new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and the SD card to build with. So this locking up experience I'm having I'm pretty sure will happen to everybody. I'm tempted to try installing the LibreElec beta as an update to an 8.2.5 build I have, but it is running on a standard Pi 3 (no +). I'm not sure how well that will work. It was my understanding that Kodi 18 would require "Stretch" version of Raspbian, rather than Jessie. I got that info through my experience playing with RetroPie. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the LibreElec build strictly for Kodi. But if it's running on a version that's outdated, and Kodi is requesting a function that doesn't work right in an older OS, that would explain the problem.

I'd really like to use a prebuilt "official" image (even if it IS beta) rather than a nightly "Milhouse" build. Since this image is still in beta, I had hoped I'd be useful in helping to fix a problem before it's officially released.

Getting a log of a crash when the system is supposed to be shutting down and rebooting is a problem because of the log not being written to after Kodi closes. If you need any further information or if there is anything you'd like me to try, please let me know! I work a full time job, but I am available to test and try things when I get home. I have days off too. Just ask!

Thanks!

Here are some new clean logs.

Crash with Remote (Debug).log

Crash with Remote (No Debug).log

Success with Remote (Debug).log

Success with Remote (No Debug).log

The most recent crash (with debug) was the result of a black screen shutdown, but never a restart. The older crash (without debug) was the result of the screen being frozen. I also had 3 or 4 crashes that resulted in a 0 byte kodi.old.log file, so nothing was saved.

EDIT - I turned off the Debug logging, and turned on "Enable notification event logging". This is the crash I was able to record with that:

Crash with Remote (No Debug 2).log

I think I might be on to something. I mean, I hope, anyway.....

I experimented with turning off UPnP from the Settings->Services->UPnP/DLNA. So far, out of 5 reboots, it's not had a single issue. I only wish there was a screen indication that says it's "Shutting Down". Because it does seem to take maybe 2-3 seconds after clicking before the screen goes black and the restart process starts.

I'm not sure if that setting was enabled by default, or if I turned it on while going through all the settings after initial install. But it looks like it might be related. Honestly, my router has UPnP capabilities, but it's never worked right. I have to go in and statically assign IP addresses to my network devices, and then manually use a port-forwarding setup.

AWW MAN! Spoke too soon. Attempt #6 failed. The activity LED turns on (not blinking) and the system hangs. It never goes to black. Bummer. :(

Log shows what was last recorded before I powered it off:

kodi.old.log

Testing.. testing..

Seems OK when I tell it to reboot from an SSH connection.

successful reboot from ssh (no debug).log

successful reboot from ssh (with debug).log

However, when I try to reboot using the remote and selecting Reboot from the power menu, it will either completely lock up (screen never even goes black), TRY to Reboot but never restart (screen goes black but never starts back up) or will successfully reboot (either really slow taking 3-4 minutes after going black, or typically fast with a full reboot only taking maybe 30 seconds). The logs don't really show anything different that I can tell, and the resulting reboot (success/fail/fast/slow) seems completely random.

crash reboot from remote (no debug).log

successful reboot with remote (no debug & SLOW).log

successful reboot with remote (no debug & FAST).log

In all cases, I waited until the activity light on my Pi3 was not active, to make sure everything was done running in the background before attempting the reboot.