[SOLVED] Kodi locks up trying to reboot (Pi)

• I’m running the latest beta on a Raspberry Pi 3+. Every now and then when I need to reboot the device from within Kodi, the system locks up and I have to pull the plug. Has this been reported and is a known issue with the beta? I’d like to know if it’s a software issues that will be fixed or if it’s a problem with my SD card. It’s an older card and I’d like to eliminate that as a cause before buying a new one. Thanks!

EDIT - Problem has been ticketed with a potential solution in progress:

Reboots fail and cause lockup or freezes - LibreELEC Forum

Edited 2 times, last by hansolo77: Updated thread to indicate a ticket was created. 2nd Update to mark as solved. (October 14, 2018 at 6:24 PM).

• Testing.. testing..

Seems OK when I tell it to reboot from an SSH connection.

successful reboot from ssh (no debug).log

successful reboot from ssh (with debug).log

However, when I try to reboot using the remote and selecting Reboot from the power menu, it will either completely lock up (screen never even goes black), TRY to Reboot but never restart (screen goes black but never starts back up) or will successfully reboot (either really slow taking 3-4 minutes after going black, or typically fast with a full reboot only taking maybe 30 seconds). The logs don't really show anything different that I can tell, and the resulting reboot (success/fail/fast/slow) seems completely random.

crash reboot from remote (no debug).log

successful reboot with remote (no debug & SLOW).log

successful reboot with remote (no debug & FAST).log

In all cases, I waited until the activity light on my Pi3 was not active, to make sure everything was done running in the background before attempting the reboot.

• I think I might be on to something. I mean, I hope, anyway.....

I experimented with turning off UPnP from the Settings->Services->UPnP/DLNA. So far, out of 5 reboots, it's not had a single issue. I only wish there was a screen indication that says it's "Shutting Down". Because it does seem to take maybe 2-3 seconds after clicking before the screen goes black and the restart process starts.

I'm not sure if that setting was enabled by default, or if I turned it on while going through all the settings after initial install. But it looks like it might be related. Honestly, my router has UPnP capabilities, but it's never worked right. I have to go in and statically assign IP addresses to my network devices, and then manually use a port-forwarding setup.

AWW MAN! Spoke too soon. Attempt #6 failed. The activity LED turns on (not blinking) and the system hangs. It never goes to black. Bummer. :(

Log shows what was last recorded before I powered it off:

kodi.old.log

• Here are some new clean logs.

Crash with Remote (Debug).log

Crash with Remote (No Debug).log

Success with Remote (Debug).log

Success with Remote (No Debug).log

The most recent crash (with debug) was the result of a black screen shutdown, but never a restart. The older crash (without debug) was the result of the screen being frozen. I also had 3 or 4 crashes that resulted in a 0 byte kodi.old.log file, so nothing was saved.

EDIT - I turned off the Debug logging, and turned on "Enable notification event logging". This is the crash I was able to record with that:

Crash with Remote (No Debug 2).log

• Not much to go on, I know. Do you guys think this is an OS (LibreElec) issue, a problem with Kodi 18 Beta, the SD card (it's a generic MicroCenter one), or maybe the Pi itself? This is brand new build. I just bought a new Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and the SD card to build with. So this locking up experience I'm having I'm pretty sure will happen to everybody. I'm tempted to try installing the LibreElec beta as an update to an 8.2.5 build I have, but it is running on a standard Pi 3 (no +). I'm not sure how well that will work. It was my understanding that Kodi 18 would require "Stretch" version of Raspbian, rather than Jessie. I got that info through my experience playing with RetroPie. I'm not too familiar with the inner workings of the LibreElec build strictly for Kodi. But if it's running on a version that's outdated, and Kodi is requesting a function that doesn't work right in an older OS, that would explain the problem.

I'd really like to use a prebuilt "official" image (even if it IS beta) rather than a nightly "Milhouse" build. Since this image is still in beta, I had hoped I'd be useful in helping to fix a problem before it's officially released.

Getting a log of a crash when the system is supposed to be shutting down and rebooting is a problem because of the log not being written to after Kodi closes. If you need any further information or if there is anything you'd like me to try, please let me know! I work a full time job, but I am available to test and try things when I get home. I have days off too. Just ask!

Thanks!

• Seems like it still does it. :( I opened up the new card, used it's own reader (just incase the reader I had been using maybe be causing corruption somewhere). Used the LibreElec downloader and installed the latest 004 beta for RPi2/3. Once it was up and running, and I configured the LAN settings, everything was fine. I rebooted. It went through like it should with no problems. I then went in and changed the regional settings (to get the proper time). Then I rebooted again. THAT reboot locked up. The screen shut down, but the system never restarted. I had to pull the plug and start over. The log is very unsupportive. It doesn't even show a restart being initiated.

kodi.old.log

For the record, my "restart" action is to click on the power button on the Kodi home screen (top left corner), then scrolling down and clicking Reboot.

EDIT - I just tried putting the new SD card in my regular Pi 3 I have been using, just to make sure it wasn't a faulty Pi. It does the exact same thing. It booted up fine. Then I go to do the reboot, and it just locks up. The screen didn't even go to black to shutdown this time. It just sits there at the Power Options menu. I think this definitely goes to prove the issue is not with the SD card and not with the Pi. It's something else, either Kodi or LibreELEC.

Edited once, last by hansolo77 (September 16, 2018 at 3:44 AM).

• Also a quick update of further testing results... Using the Pi3B+ I bought, with the new SD card I bought.. I put on a backup of the SD card from my working RPi3. It runs fine, and has no issues rebooting. The RPi3 (that works) is running LibreELEC 8.2.5. So the "old" (current stable) OS works perfectly fine with the new RPi3B+ and the SD card. This is not an issue. The problem with locking up while rebooting only happens when I use the new OS (8.90.004). I've not tested with 8.90.005 yet, nor have I tested updating from 8.2.5. All my results have come from a fresh install.

EDIT - RPi3B.. Updating from 8.2.5 to 8.90.005 results in same issue. After it finished migrating the databases and loaded everything, I attempted the reboot. It took a moment after shutting down, but eventually booted back up. I then checked my forecast, then returned to the main menu and attempted another reboot. This time, it locked up/froze with the Power menu still on the screen and never resulted in a shut down..

EDIT 2 - Seems like it locked up 2 more times before I decided to try a "downgrade" and install 8.9.003. Surprisingly, after it finished downloading the update, it rebooted perfectly to start the install. Perhaps the methods to perform the reboot are different? Also, I have been doing various things to TRY and get it to lock up (watching videos, playing a CD, watching YouTube) and it reboots every time so far! Something has changed from 8.9.003 to 8.9.004.

Edited 2 times, last by hansolo77 (September 19, 2018 at 12:48 AM).

• Hi!

I had a lot of problems with LibreElec 8.2.5 on RPi3 (two RPi3s). Even trying with versions 7.0.2. The same problems: rebooting nicely 2 or 3 times, and then blocked. Considered a problem with sd card, and problem with sd reader.

Finally, I tried with NOOBS install, and LibreElec 8.2.5 module on it. This way, it's working good.

Anyway, I'll check your downgrade to 8.9.003. (I'm confused, do you upgrade via command to 8.9.005?)

• Anyway, I'll check your downgrade to 8.9.003. (I'm confused, do you upgrade via command to 8.9.005?)

In Kodi settings, there an an extra option called Libreelec. Inside there is an option under "System" called "Update Channel". Change that to "Libreelec-9.0". Then, in the setting right under there (Available Versions) is the list of updates. Just pick 8.90.003. It will download it, reboot, then install it, then reboot again. That's it. It's a "downgrade" from 8.90.005 that I originally had because it was the last version before the bug. In your case, it would be an "upgrade", from 8.2.5 to 8.9xxx.