Recommendation on new hardware

• Hi all,

I am finally going to be purchasing a new system because the one I am currently using for the last 10 years is outdated to say the least. :)

My current system is ZBOX-ID88 with 4GB of memory. I am still on Leia (18.9) and I would like to use the current versions of LE.

Truth be told, I know nothing about hardware and what I need to purchase. I don't use 4K, but it's not off the table. I would like to get a system that would be able to handle everything current, or at least be good for a few years, and it must use IR, as my Harmony One is IR. My budget is $1,200.00 CDN. I would really appreciate it if someone can lead me in the right direction as to what fully loaded PC to purchase.

Regards,

Shedrock

• Go to Best Answer
  • direction as to what fully loaded PC to purchase.

Just curious, why do you think you need an actual PC?

Most people seem to use Raspberry Pi 4, and they are starting to be available again for reasonable prices. No IR built in though. A OrangePi 3LTS is even cheaper, and does have IR built in, and can do 4k. No wifi support though.

• I'm using an Intel Core i3-2100T which scores 1,488 on CPU Passmark. Very slow by today's standard but it plays everything 1080P and lower with no issues whatsoever. More speed = more heat = more noise.

• Just curious, why do you think you need an actual PC?

I guess I am just old school. I really just want a system similar to my Z-Box where everything is there and all I have to do is install LibreELEC, configure and go. I do have plans to purchase a RPi 4 just to play around with, but that will be later on this year if they are available.

Regards,

Shedrock

• Just curious, why do you think you need an actual PC?

Most people seem to use Raspberry Pi 4, and they are starting to be available again for reasonable prices. No IR built in though. A OrangePi 3LTS is even cheaper, and does have IR built in, and can do 4k. No wifi support though.

So if I were to purchase a kit like the following, would it do all that I need to run LibreELEC? And would I still need an IR adapter of some sort to work with my Harmony Remote?

Link: https://www.pishop.ca/product/raspbe…src=raspberrypi

Thanks,

Shedrock

• I bought the FLIRC case just to support Kodi once more.

Store
    Kodi is a free media player that is designed to look great on your big screen TV but is just as at home on a small screen.
    kodi.tv

You should think about using an external USB SSD instead of the SD card.

• You should think about using an external USB SSD instead of the SD card.

I don't find an SD card slow (with an above average sized media library) or unreliable, and the less stuff dangled off cables the better IMHO.

• I don't find an SD card slow (with an above average sized media library) or unreliable, and the less stuff dangled off cables the better IMHO

I have more of a reliablility issue with the SD cards, although I experienced a fail only once. I should have write that in addition :)

SSDs however became very price effective these days, so I usually always pick a SSD + external USB case

But I might be too conservative in some areas. :angel:

I also use only the original RPi Power Supply to drive the Pi4s

• Will any of the recommended hardware allow powering on and off via an MCE remote? I bought the following: Mini PC Windows 11 Pro, KAMRUI AK1 PRO 12GB RAM 256GB SSD Mini Desktop Computer Intel Celeron N5105 Processor,Quad Core Micro Computer 4K, Support 2.5-inch SSD, 2.4G/ 5.0G WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, HTPC with a flirc usb dongle. I can't get it to power down or suspend with the MCE remote.

• Will any of the recommended hardware allow powering on and off via an MCE remote? I bought the following: Mini PC Windows 11 Pro, KAMRUI AK1 PRO 12GB RAM 256GB SSD Mini Desktop Computer Intel Celeron N5105 Processor,Quad Core Micro Computer 4K, Support 2.5-inch SSD, 2.4G/ 5.0G WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, HTPC with a flirc usb dongle. I can't get it to power down or suspend with the MCE remote.

This should be configurable in the BIOS of your machine, shouldn‘it? Power on by Mouse/Keyboard…

Never tried it however. Maybe you can report back if it worked out for you.

In Kodi//LE go and look into the Keymap editor Addon for power off function

• This should be configurable in the BIOS of your machine, shouldn‘it? Power on by Mouse/Keyboard…

Never tried it however. Maybe you can report back if it worked out for you.

In Kodi//LE go and look into the Keymap editor Addon for power off function

I checked the bios and i didn't see any setting for power on by mouse/keyboard but i will check again. thanks for the assist.