Posts by Bub4

I can't give a proper information about the ratio of corrupt files systems after power outage.

But as soon as an unsecured cache is involved in data transferrs, there could always be a loss or incosistency of data. With unsecured cache I mean non battery/capacitor buffered cache, like the RAM or the cache of your HDD.

zfs would be a file-system which works like copy-on-write. So the existing and changed data will only be overwritten when the new data is checked.

If you suffer lots of power outages, you should think about investing in a UPS which also covers damage due to power spikes. My opinion...

APC and CyberPower are good brands I'd say...

cheers

edit:

I think EXT4 should be fine, as long as the OS and kernel is on another drive/partition. But there are more knowledged people here to give you proper advice on that.

I'd say thats a tough question. And as always, it depends on your needs or rather expectations. Although I never tested it by myselfe, I would expect the RPi to work properly. There are plenty of guides in the www explaining how to use the RPi4 with OpenMediaVault... Important would be to have it wired. Don't expect WiFi to work stable.

What I can say is, that the SMB/CIFS share LE provides, works just fine. I use x86 hardware but there shouldn't be a difference. Drag an drop via SMB works perfect even from macOS to LE.

So if this is the only thing you want to achive, I guess it will work just fine. RAM doesn't matter so much if you are the only user. I mean - your HDR files are greater 2GB or 4GB anyways, right? But keep in mind, that SSDs can die and that you don't have redundancy of data.

I don't want to sound like a granpa, but a (single) NAS is no proper backup target!

Not sure how advanced your needs are to the external grabber, but they might not be as expensive as you think.

You might want to check the hyperion forum for working grabbers.

I was lucky, as I had an older LG TV which was rootable and I was able to install PicCap.

Just wanted to hilight that in case you are lucky too and you are brave enough. I was REALLY scared but it worked out.

Fingers crossed that your wall will shine again very soon :P

I understand.

Just hoped, that there is some sort of workaround.

When the automount ist disabled, the container starts just fine with all the scraped movie and tvshow info in the cache. They are obviously not playable, but they are there and could be used for the emby for kodi addon. So preventing Docker/the container from triggering the automount would be sufficient in theory.

Well, having the 4 HDDs NAS powered on all day long would be a waste of power. Therfore I am looking to work around that. I might be a little strange in that respect.

I will work on a remote switch for home assistant to trigger a script via SSH for mounting//unmounting the shares.

Thank you VERY much for the great support you are doing here in this forum!!!

Hi chewitt thank you for supporting me.

I think I've done this via systemd already. Or do you mean something else?

I've created two SMB mounts and two corresponding automounts.

Example for the first mount:

storage-videos.mount

storage-videos.automount

Emby Container Settings:

I have two SMB share mount points (videos & tvshows) and two local mount points (Kids and music).

If I got you right, I can't have the best of both worlds...? Reads like the container can only work properly if the SMB share got mounted successfully...?

Or can the automount task set behind the docker task to evade the triggered access attempt of the container? But it doesn't care when the access attempt takes place, does it? If the NAS is offline during the container start, the share can't be mounted. Just thought, that the emby container sees the local folder as an empty folder if the share isn't mounted. I mean - the container also starts with regular empty folders...

Side node - what I want to achive:

I want my NAS only running, when we watch movies or tvshows and not 24/7. Daily music (offsite) streaming of my library content shall be handled by emby running on the lower power cosumption LibreELEC NUC.

The "emby for kodi" addon would be another highlight for me

Thanks again for your input!!

Hi Again,

I came a bit further.

My automount is working properly.

The emby container however seems to forcing LE to mount the SMB shares while booting, which ends up in errors. The container can not start in this condition.

The system boots + the container starts just fine, when I switch off the mount points to the shares in the container settings.

I would be glad if anyone has an idea to possibly get around this.

Is it possible to make a continuous and updating "link" from the source files (shared files) to local LE folders?

My dream is to use emby for kodi at the end as the media management is way easier with emby.

btw. I tried the beets container as well and its brilliant. Music scraping has never been easier.

Thanks to Linuxserver.io for providing those docker containers. <3

Thank you

[bit off topic]

Thank you. But how do you copy-paste without being able to select text? I just tried with a mouse. Got the key-stuff on a usb stick.

[/bit off topic]

You can copy & paste the lines with the official Kodi app. At least in iOS

Just navigate to the API-Key window>Kodi button and the key should be present in the text field.

Hi,

I figured out to setup emby running as a docker container.

I've added videos and tvshows via a SMB share. I followed the mount/automount how to in the wiki to make this happen.

Doing the mountpoint settings in the emby-docker-addon via the file manager did not work out..

Music was added via a local folder.

Emby is working perfectly fine.

But when I boot LE without having the NAS providing the SMB shares, I get errors showing up in the LE splash screen mentioning that the mounts are missing.

Although LE goes over that and boots just fine, the emby container doesn't start.

Did I do something wrong with the automount? The wiki sais that there shouldn't be errors. :/

https://wiki.libreelec.tv/how-to/mount_network_share

I need emby to work without the SMB shares, as I want to stream music offsite.

Sorry if it is a stupid question. I still have a long road to go understanding Linux.

Buying some $40 android player and put it in the trash after 2 years when it breaks and buy again another one for $40 might not be bad strategy after all ;)

well - you should better ask the coming generations about this one

I have no clue about android boxes neither do I order from Aliexpress.

Not because I am rich (I am not at all), but certain business policies shouldn't be supported.

The quality of Raspberries is very good an long lasting.

Better buy good things once than crap twice...! Just from a hardware perspective

Kodi documentation on emulators is similarly lacking. I've installed https://github.com/zach-morris/plugin.program.iagl and when I select e.g. a SNES ROM Kodi will ask which emulator to use for playback, and if not selecting one that's already present it will install one from the LE add-on repo and then things just play. There is no "Library" for games but I save regular ROMs as favourites and access them direct from there. I also have IAGL configured to cache ROM files to avoid repeat downloads and give faster starts. Other distros like Lakka, RetroPi, Batocera will be more poilished for gameplay and less polished for media. LE is more optimised for media, but the game stuff does work.

I gave it a try an installed the single emulators natively:

game.libretro.beetle-psx

game.libretro.genplus

game.libretro.snes9x

the beetle-psx emulator needs the bios to be placed in

Code
    /storage/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/game.libretro.beetle-psx/resources/system

Haven't tried the bios tool from zachmorris but it should make things a lot easier.

Genesis and SNES roms played smoothly after picking the corresponding rom.

I will be more than happy if I get Gamecube and PS2 to run as well.

ian_j maybe a native installation could work for you as well...?

Have no experience with emulation in Kodi.

There was a fork (LibreELEC-RR) a few months ago. Unfortunately the dev stopped working on it.

But you can install Kodi within RetroPi. Maybe you want to check this out?

you're guessing wrong.

Booting from USB works, but it depends on the EEPROM version of the Pi as well as the external SSD.

Not all external drives work. SanDisk were working for me in the past. I read that SanDisk are having filesystem issues right now (at least for Windows and MacOS.

Many others do work.

Install the latest Raspberry Pi OS to check the EEPROM version.

This guide might help you:

Raspberry Street - HOW TO: Boot Raspberry Pi 4 from USB SSD Drive
    HOW TO: Boot Raspberry Pi 4 from USB SSD Drive
    raspberrystreet.com

So this is all I would need, and maybe a 32gb Micro SD card? I also plan on getting the Kodi case if I did go with a RPI4. I just don't know what else I would need.

One of my concerns is that I have a large library and I am using a 250GB SSD drive, and it has used 178 GB so far. I am not sure if I would have to use an external SSD drive on the RPI4, and in doing so, would that not be a slower option to run LE, as oppose to the Micro SD drive, which appears to be insufficient in regards to capacity?

Thank for all your advice,

Shedrock

I wouldn‘t mind using a RPi4. The only reason I chose a NUC back then, was a fork project with emulation. Therefore I needed/wanted more power.

I used RPis for Home Assistant and NextCloudPi for over one year without any issues. …until I migrated all to proxmox.

I have always used external USB 3.0 SSDs.

I tested LE10 on one of my RPi4s and I was really blown away. This cute board could do HDR?! Even my NUC11 wasn’t able to play that at that time.

With the latest release, even LiveTV over tvheadend is playing well. I currently consider to switch to RPi and use the NUC as my major proxmox node.

The devs are really doing magic with these boards <3 THANKS FOR THAT btw!

Needs to be fanless please

ASRock J5040-ITX
    ASRock Super Alloy; Intel Quad-Core Pentium Processor J5040 (up to 3.2 GHz); Supports DDR4 2133/2400 SO-DIMM; 1 PCIe 2.0 x1, 1 M.2 (Key E); Graphics Output…
    www.asrock.com

That might be a good option for ou.

I used the predecessor and ist was very good.

No NUC FF, but with a Pico-PSU you can achive a small size HTPC.

No small size case options from my side… I never took care about size and bought a Fractal design…