HDR on x86 Hardware

• But one can hope to just use one fast x86_64 device for all media.

My thoughts exactly. I'm pretty fed up with sluggish ARM boxes.

Just did a test run of you build on a just arrived Beelink N100 box (the DDR5 flavor one). So far, everything seems to work. Thanks!

• The only way I've gotten HD audio (TrueHD/DTS-HD/MA) to reliably stream without dropouts is to separate video & audio signals; This means you cannot have the AVR connected to your display ( otherwise libreelc will just 'clone' the signal out, causing the same issue) , and have to utilize both HDMI outs (one going directly to your display, the other going directly to your audio processor).

Yeah. I'm having the same issue with my Beelink EQ12... but just with TrueHD (not many DTSHD-MA 4k nowadays), and only on [email protected] videos. Seems to be a unsolved bug.

[BUG]LE10/LE11 HBR Audio PT Audio issue with [email protected] with J4105 · Issue #6237 · LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv
    Describe the bug As a starting point i need more guidance and knowledge of some experts. After serveral bug fixes of truehd pt in kodi last time my hope was to…
    github.com

Strangely enough, using 4k@24Hz seems to "solve" the audio dropout problem. I'm still testing to be fully sure of it and understand the implications, if any.

Edited once, last by w46n3r (August 1, 2023 at 12:41 PM).

• [...]

Strangely enough, using 4k@24Hz seems to "solve" the audio dropout problem. I'm still testing to be fully sure of it and understand the implications, if any.

Not running at the native framerate (23.976) means you won't be able to properly bit stream the audio; it will get decoded and passed along as PCM/LPCM and (I believe) will avoid the issue... but you'll lose any Atmos/dts-x (3d surround) ability. Most likely there's some issue in intel's media-driver or firmware for the decode pipeline/hdmi transport (IIRC displayport doesn't exhibit the issue?)

• Not running at the native framerate (23.976) means you won't be able to properly bit stream the audio; it will get decoded and passed along as PCM/LPCM

Yeah, that's what I thought would happen... but no. The AV Receiver still receives passthru audio as Dolby HD, undecoded as it should. It works even at 60hz as I latter discovered.

The only downside I'm having is that the Kodi interface must also be on 4k@24hz as the player won't use 24hz even if the res@refresh is whitelisted.

I wish I could change how the player chooses resolution/refresh output for a given resolution/refresh input. It seems that if isn't a perfect match it just gives up and use what the interface is using.

• Code
    I've been using Libreelec on Intel NUC n3050 hardware for some time now with good successes. I updated to LibreELEC 11.0.3 which solved some small problems but now I have problems with the image contrast or the black doesn't reach higher densities and the scenes are washed out? I went back to version 10 and magically everything was resolved?
    What happened to, will I ever be able to upgrade to version 11 or am I limited by my hardware?
  • I have problems with the image contrast or the black doesn't reach higher densities and the scenes are washed out? I went back to version 10 and magically everything was resolved? What happened to, will I ever be able to upgrade to version 11 or am I limited by my hardware?

Looks like Full RGB mode is not active for your screen device output. I had the same problem which was solved by adding

Code
    modetest -w 239:"Broadcast RGB":1

to /storage/.config/autostart.sh (https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/…wn#autostart.sh). Replace 239 with connector (video output) number specific to your system, which can be discovered by inspecting modetest text dump when ran without arguments.

Also make sure that your Settings / System / Display / Use limited color range option is not enabled.

• Looks like Full RGB mode is not active for your screen device output. I had the same problem which was solved by adding

Code
    modetest -w 239:"Broadcast RGB":1

to /storage/.config/autostart.sh (https://wiki.libreelec.tv/configuration/…wn#autostart.sh). Replace 239 with connector (video output) number specific to your system, which can be discovered by inspecting modetest text dump when ran without arguments.

Also make sure that your Settings / System / Display / Use limited color range option is not enabled.

Hello,

I would like to share my experience/knowledge as I don't fully agree to what you're saying with respect to avoiding the limited color range.

I have been using "proptest" to set the full/limited RGB range of my GPU since LibreELEC 11 has been released and graphics stack has changed from X11 to GBM. See RE: LibreELEC (Nexus) 11.0 for more details about how to use proptest. I was not aware of "modetest" but it seems like those commands do the same thing. Maybe "modetest" was not available at the initial release of LE 11?

Back to the color space. Unlike what you are saying I am using limited RGB in KODI, full RGB on my GPU and limited RGB on my TV. Why am I doing this? Because apparantly that is what is being recommended in the Kodi Wiki (see https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_levels_and_color_space). In section "Which Combination to Use" they recommend using "Limited, Full, Limited" as there is no video content scaling being performed. I have not had any issues so far after changing my setup to the recommended setting.

• Most of 4K60 HDR videos are encoded without MaxFALL/MaxCLL metadata. Also HLG DVB streams don't use HDR metadata by design. Current HDR implementation in Kodi checks for the presence of metadata and if there is none or if it is "incomplete" - HDR passthrough is disabled. IMO this behaviour is incorrect, so I PR'ed this fix.

• Most of 4K60 HDR videos are encoded without MaxFALL/MaxCLL metadata. Also HLG DVB streams don't use HDR metadata by design. Current HDR implementation in Kodi checks for the presence of metadata and if there is none or if it is "incomplete" - HDR passthrough is disabled. IMO this behaviour is incorrect, so I PR'ed this fix.

i have black screen when try HLG DVB 4K@50 via pvr addon

but no issue when play recorder video HLG