Official LE11 Test Images for Amlogic (Kodi-20)

• S912's have always run hot so a good heatsink is never a bad thing. I've a VIM2 + heatsink which runs around 60-65ºC so I'd be wondering what add-ons you're using that chew CPU in the background (some do) to keep cores busy.

I am wondering too. I do notice 1 cpu is always using 60% or more all the time when idled. The only add-ons I installed to use is YouTube. Aside from the defaults that was installed with LE, I installed the other media information providers tvdb, screensaver bing photo, lrclyrics, mp3streams and weather. I also uses mysql for my media repository. From that list, I have no idea what is running that is constantly requiring cpu. Screensaver is not enabled and cpu is still 60%+ so i have no idea what errant program that is running. I will probably reflash a clean SDcard and see if CPU is still high to remove any extra thing that is causing overheating.

• Diff
    --- a/xbmc/windowing/gbm/WinSystemGbmGLESContext.cpp
    +++ b/xbmc/windowing/gbm/WinSystemGbmGLESContext.cpp
    @@ -145,7 +145,7 @@ void CWinSystemGbmGLESContext::PresentRender(bool rendered, bool videoLayer)
       }
       else
       {
    -    KODI::TIME::Sleep(10);
    +    KODI::TIME::Sleep(40);
       }
     }

^ If someone is compiling their own images and understands how to track CPU usage, that might be of interest.

• chewitt,

Is it possible if you can help by taking a look at the following android box boot log and let me know if the boot is encrypted or not? Also if it is possible to tell what the issue is preventing from continuing to boot?

If you can't help, do you know of any other forums that help this sort of issue? I missed freaktab.

UPDATE: after hacking around with writing u-boot.bin.sd.bin onto a LE SD image. Surprisingly, it somehow was able to inject BL30 to the emmc and allow to boot off the SDcard now. I am not sure how it was able to flash the box to override booting from emmc if SD is present but it is back to what I wanted. eMMC android img is toast but I do not really care about that as long as I can boot LE.

Thanks

• If someone is compiling their own images and understands how to track CPU usage, that might be of interest.

I'm seeing about < 6% CPU usage at idle on Kodi. It was around 18% before this patch, also CPU temp dropped about 2 degrees (51C -> 49C).

I haven't noticed anything negative with UI rendering with that patch either, impression from reading the ticket and related PRs this tweak affects UI rendering speed? 40ms should be 25fps, so from 100fps to 25fps.

• I am trying to reanimate this semi-brick amlogic box. I can only currently using jtag to get the amlogic terminal and run sdc_burn and update and other commands. Is there anyway update/flash LE onto the emmc using the built in tool?

UPDATE: after hacking around with writing u-boot.bin.sd.bin onto a LE SD image. Surprisingly, it somehow was able to inject BL30 to the emmc and allow to boot off the SDcard now. I am not sure how it was able to flash the box to override booting from emmc if SD is present but it is back to what I wanted. eMMC android img is toast but I do not really care about that as long as I can boot LE.

Edited once, last by hieppo (January 28, 2022 at 2:05 AM).

• I know installing nightly to emmc is not recommended but i need to check something. How to install it? I can't get it to run using installtointernal command? Do i need to find the script first?

Box: X96 Max+ 905x3

Found it emmctool but device not supported - any way to do force installation to nand?

• Found it emmctool but device not supported - any way to do force installation to nand?

LibreELEC can be installed in the internal memory in a very simple way: Once LE is booted from a 2/4/8/16GB flash memory, and after using the ssh df and blkid commands to know the names of the internal partition (/dev/data) and LE partition storage (/dev/sda2), the following commands can be used:

systemctl stop kodi

e2label /dev/data "STORAGE"

e2label /dev/sda2 "EXT-STORAGE"

reboot

From now on, the STORAGE partition is in internal memory, mixed with Android/Linux directories or whatever, and the device flies, although there is always the risk of messing up the internal OS by a factory reset in LE , or messing up LE by a factory reset of the internal OS.

In summary, LibreELEC can be started on a device with other operating systems from a flash memory and use as storage space any disk partition, internal or external, called STORAGE. The LE external drive is only used at boot time, then it is loaded into memory and is no longer used, so I recommend using a small external memory.

Note.- This has only been tested on CoreELEC, it should also work on LibreELEC.

• There are no secret override switches/options and in my version of English "not supported" means it is not supported.

Not always:) I was able to force it on CE so thought maybe here not supported doesn't means in the end that. But we can leave it as it is now.

Second thing is hdd spinning down when system is powered off/restarted - i can hear power being cut to usb drive and loud bang of headers/discs stopping. In earlier version of LE this problem was now present - is there a way to fix it?

• i haven't read the whole 18 pages of posts - but was hoping for a simple answer to the question:

can we run Kodi 19 on the amlogic S912 boxes with any of the LE nightly builds

• Can we run Kodi 19 on the amlogic S912 boxes with any of the LE nightly build

Nightly images use Kodi Nexus (20) not Matrix (19). The images are not perfect but quite usable on S912 hardware as long as your media needs are not too exotic.

• Nightly images use Kodi Nexus (20) not Matrix (19). The images are not perfect but quite usable on S912 hardware as long as your media needs are not too exotic.

awesome!

i am using a CoreElec branch for the amlogic boxes (9.2.8) but it does not support Kodi 19 - and doesn't lock like its going to - but i need it for some addons which no longer work on 18. no special media requirements.

I'm assuming addons that work on 19 should work on 20 also - or at least will be worth a try

can anyone point me to a how-to for installing the LibrEelec builds on these boxes - i gather its a bit different from CoreElec - but its a while since i have dabbled with it

my box appears to be an old Edal T95Z plus ( 2g RAM 16g ROM) and runs ok with the "gxm_q200_2g" device tree file with CoreElec

• Can anyone point me to a how-to for installing the LibrEelec builds on these boxes - my box appears to be an old Edal T95Z plus (2g RAM 16g ROM) and runs ok with the "gxm_q200_2g" device tree file

Get the AMLGX "box" image from https://test.libreelec.tv/ .. write to SD card and then edit uEnv.ini to set the dtb name (do not rename the dtb to dtb.img). Insert the SD card and trigger recovery boot again so the LE bootscripts are loaded (else you have CE scripts which look for different files). If all is well it will boot. The "meson-gxm-q200.dtb" device-tree exists and should support most hardware.

• Get the AMLGX "box" image from https://test.libreelec.tv/ .. write to SD card and then edit uEnv.ini to set the dtb name (do not rename the dtb to dtb.img). Insert the SD card and trigger recovery boot again so the LE bootscripts are loaded (else you have CE scripts which look for different files). If all is well it will boot. The "meson-gxm-q200.dtb" device-tree exists and should support most hardware.

perfect - got it - will give that a go

appreciate the help :thumbup:

• I tried to run the nightly for the N2 from SD card, but nothing happpens. I don't see a uEnv.ini file to edit either. I build the image from source and tried that too but same thing.

Does this image only run from emmc? If is there a command way of building it to run from SD?

Martin

• I tried to run the nightly for the N2 from SD card, but nothing happpens. I don't see a uEnv.ini file to edit either. I build the image from source and tried that too but same thing. Does this image only run from emmc? If is there a command way of building it to run from SD?

The odroid-n2 image includes mainline u-boot which uses FDTDIR in extlinux.conf (not FDT and dtb name or uEnv.ini) to auto-determine the correct dtb to use from hardware data read at boot time. I haven't tested a clean install from SD card that recently but the image should boot both SD and eMMC with no config required. NB: You need the SPI boot switch on the N2 set to the right. If set to left, petitboot will be active and it does not understand exlinux boot configs and the device will not boot. The latest image in my testing share is running fine on an N2+ (see http://ix.io/3Ps4) although the emmc module it's booting from might have an older u-boot installed.

• Hi,

i try to use my C2 with these images.

-> I tried the latest Version 11 220213 which boots into Kodi

-> I tried Libreelec (official) Version 9, whichs boots, but there are some things missing (e.g. Python 3)

-> But, to be honest, i would rather use Version 10 instead of a nightly build version -> LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-10.85.0-odroid-c2.img.gz

But this doesnt boot -> no HDMI output, but on serial console it seems to work??

Thats problem number one.. But i had to connect the board to the serial port of my PC because eth0 seems to be broken (on all versions), but i still hope its hardware isnt dead.

I found some information about this error:

arm64: dts: meson: odroidc2: readd PHY reset properties (cf31ffc6) · Commits · U-Boot / Custodians / Amlogic U-Boot Custodian Tree
    The sync of the device tree and dt-bindings from Linux v5.6-rc2 11a48a5a18c6 ("Linux 5.6-rc2") causes Ethernet to break on some ODROID-C2. The PHY seems to…
    source.denx.de

But i dont know if this is already part of your image or if i have to "compile" the dtb file (no idea how) or why a not working ethernet phy should stop Version 10 from booting properly

I also tried latest "Armbian 21.08 Jammy XFCE" -> same Ethernet Error

-> if i could boot into Version 10 and use WiFi or a USB/Ethernet Adapter, that would be fine

and a full dmesg (sorry...)

-> Error: Unknown kernel command line parameters "boot=LABEL=LIBREELEC........." -> but the filesystem seems to be complete

LibreELEC:/ # dmesg[ 0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [ - Pastebin.com
    Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.
    pastebin.com
  • perfect - got it - will give that a go

appreciate the help :thumbup:

Get the AMLGX "box" image from https://test.libreelec.tv/ .. write to SD card and then edit uEnv.ini to set the dtb name (do not rename the dtb to dtb.img). Insert the SD card and trigger recovery boot again so the LE bootscripts are loaded (else you have CE scripts which look for different files). If all is well it will boot. The "meson-gxm-q200.dtb" device-tree exists and should support most hardware.

OK - that worked :thumbup:

i got a message "[FAILED] failed to start configure eth0 MAC address" on the libreelec splash screen on start up - which i assume is to do with wired network connection - but wireless is working fine so no issue there

i am having odd power button function issues - box boots when power cable is plugged in - and shuts down when power button pressed - but will not boot up again - ie will not respond to power button - LED's remain dim blue - only way to get it to boot up again is to unplug and replug the power cable - have tried adjusting the kodi skin power options to give suspend as the option on power button press - but still does the same in response

steaming 720 video seems to play OK - skip forward or back seems to cause it to freeze - pause works OK