Official LE11 Test Images for Amlogic (Kodi-20)

• darkstar Chainloading mainline u-boot is not a "solution" it is a "workaround" and the root cause of the problem is still not known. AFAIK the .ext file should not need to be recompiled for SD card boot because it is the unsigned u-boot.bin binary with no embedded device-tree, and thus to run it you've already booted (via vendor u-boot) past the point where SD/eMMC selection is in play. As there is no device-tree embedded the file should be usable on more than one device, but is probably SoC generation specific, e.g. GXBB, GXL/GXM, G12A/SM1, G12B might need different files. I'm personally not too interested in using this approach although the current LE "box" image will see/use the file if present. NB: I've also upstreamed support for GT-King/Pro allowing people to run mainline u-boot from eMMC on these devices, particularly for Armbian where people are more keen/willing/able to do that. Those patches will be in-tree once the merge window for U-Boot 2021.04 opens, and they are included in my 2021.01 fork. I'm still hopeful that one of the kernel maintainers we shipped hardware too will be able to pinpoint the real problem and solution.

Thank you for your reply, we can use it as a workaround till we get a real solution that you mentioned.

Show the link to the original source, I want to look at the "author". :cool:

I don't know the sources link. I guessed that it is compiled by chewit or you and just wanted to ask.

Edited once, last by darkstar (January 10, 2021 at 7:48 PM).

• Hello, i have try for the first time this builds and i cant get remote to work on my MECOOL m8s PRO L s912 box, after making sd card with "LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.80-nightly-20210118-c3d5c93-box.img" i can boot kodi just fine but i cant make it work with remote or with cec i have try to use all dtb files for s912 platform but i cant get it to work.What im i doing wrong do i need to add anything to kodi itself to make it work?

• CEC is not working at the moment (so I'm told, I never use/test it myself) - kenel maintainers are aware. The process for configuring a remote has changed since legacy kernels; it is now the same as all the other modern kernel devices that we support, see Infra-Red Remotes - LibreELEC.wiki for more info.

NB: If people share working remote confs for specific boxes that have upstream device-trees I will create (and then upstream) drivers for them to the kernel and then directly enable the IR keymap in the device-tree for better out-of-box experience. If people don't share them .. the OOB experience will remain the same.

• Thanks for reply, im coming back to libreelec from coreelec since coreelec will not support kodi 19 for s912, so im switching back to libreelec once again and since lot of time passed all of this is once again new to me

• chewitt The constructions made by your github repository are better.

LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.80.9-box constructions.

I tried the constructions of LibreELEC master amlogic: I have problems with synchronization between audio and video, locks on the kodi when changing channels, small tremors on the screen in HD reeds.

SD channels do not open anything, neither image nor audio, sometimes a green screen.

On the other hand I used your constructions from your amlogic github: Synchronization between audio and video works well, small shakes on the screen in HD reeds.

SD channels only receive green screen but receive audio. Even the blue screen with audio.

I have no locks on the kodi, sometimes the channel change takes a while.

Tests were done using the tbs5520se on both patched constructions.

I also did tests with streaming and got the same results.

I noticed that both constructions have different mesa versions.

• erbas the main influence is the ffmpeg changes the Raspberry Pi foundation devs have been doing on stateful V4L2 support. I'm tracking the work but beyond a point in mid-December the changes to ffmpeg need corresponding changes in the vdec drvier and this is beyond my non-coding abilities to do .. and since nobody else works on this we're stalled and unable to keep up. H264 is now working well on Pi hardware.

I'm also using updated firmware, but updated is not always better since Amlogic does not backwards test on older hardware they no longer support so change that fix e.g. GXL may also regress GXBB, and testing that is a hugely time intesive task (and work is busy).

In other news, I now have mainline u-boot booting a WP2 (GXBB) box from SD card (after erasing vendor u-boot from emmc) and have been using it as the family daily-driver for the last week. I'm currently trying to understand why audio must be forced to 44.1KHz to get audio output while the same kernel image on a GXL/GXM device is fine. However I'm at the limits of my non-coding-developer knowledge so progress comes only from guesswork and trial/error testing which is time consuming.

For the wider audience: I added a Minix Neo U9-H (S912) device tree to the "box" image based on educated guesswork and the vendor kernel device tree. It would be nice if someone with that box could test it and give feedback.

• I understand chewitt I would like to help with (S912) but I only have one box (S905D).

And some raspberries that work well with LibreELEC.

When there is something new in LibreELEC-AMLGX.arm-9.80.9-box. Can help with the tests I am available.

• For the wider audience: I added a Minix Neo U9-H (S912) device tree to the "box" image based on educated guesswork and the vendor kernel device tree. It would be nice if someone with that box could test it and give feedback.

Have just tested this now. Seems to work fine. Wifi works, file playback and live tv work, haven't tested bluetooth, no HDR and no CEC but I think that's already known. Anything specific you'd like tested?

EDIT: H.265 playback doesn't work.

Edited once, last by dazed: forgot a word (January 28, 2021 at 5:09 PM).

• About KVIM1

I tested the latest nightlies on my KVIM1. I just dd the KVIM-image to emmc, I only read later it should be done with the emmctool, but it boots fine. Now when I test some local streaming services (VRT-NU and VTM GO) the screen is shaking a lot, including the control panels and the video hangs.

Local video's start but without screen. When I stop them the system freezes.

Here is thelog: http://ix.io/2NDN but it seems it stopped logging at some point.

Another problem, but already known probably, is that it takes ages to shut down the system (I have this also on my RK3328).

Edited once, last by roel: Merged a post created by roel into this post. (January 29, 2021 at 1:33 PM).

• CEC should be fixed in the latest images on my share (not nightlies) - would be nice to have confirmation.

The X96-Air and A95XF3-Air device trees are also renamed to use 100/1000 suffixes to indicate 10/100 or Gigabit connectivity on the boxes. I've used 2g/4g before but some Google searching shows RAM size is not a reliable correlation to the PHY specs.

Odroid HC4 now has a separate image, device-tree is submitted upstream and should be included with Linux 5.12, and I'll work on mainline u-boot support once it's accepted - until then it's using the C4 u-boot sources (which work fine).

I'll push an update to main repo with the same changes in the next week.

• dazed Thanks for the report. HEVC/HDR etc. and other video/audio gremlins are all known, and CEC is something I'll look into. Did the Minix IR remote work? .. I added an embedded keymap for that. If you could also check BT and run "dmesg | paste" and share the URL it would be appreciated.

http://ix.io/2O02

Bluetooth seems to work and so does the original remote for it.

• @JFL from Beelink's forum found a solution to kernel panic of mainline version.

JFL didnt find a solution, he used balbes150 Newer uboot binary from LibreElec image which seem to have fixed the issue.

Show the link to the original source, I want to look at the "author".

It Is your work only, It will be helpfull if you can share the source for it as I was not able to use the newer version on emmc after running the install-emmc-script.sh I end up in the Chainloader uboot and it is not able to find the emmc.

Thank you for all your hard work.

• CEC should be fixed in the latest images on my share (not nightlies) - would be nice to have confirmation.

Just tested and works fine on minix u9. Which is good because I flashed an ATV ROM and the 3 usb ports on the side no longer work lol

• JFL didnt find a solution, he used balbes150 Newer uboot binary from LibreElec image which seem to have fixed the issue.

It Is your work only, It will be helpfull if you can share the source for it as I was not able to use the newer version on emmc after running the install-emmc-script.sh I end up in the Chainloader uboot and it is not able to find the emmc.

Thank you for all your hard work.

@jfl tried this new u-boot.ext and found that gt king pro can run without kernel panic with it.

I didn't said that he solved the problem or he compiled a new u-boot.ext .

If you want to go further on this and if I'm not wrong balbes150 is not a u-boot developer he is just compiling it for community, thanks to him...

• Hello all. I have an old Beelink GT1 Ultimate (S912 with True 3GB DDR4) currently with CoreElec running from internal storage and I'm interested in switching to LibreElec because of the newer kernel since I also want to use that box as docker-pihole-unbound and torrent client. I don't want to brick my box and I would like some guidance for 1st know if my box is supported, 2nd if it is supported which version should I use and 3rd if it is possible to running it from internal storage as I'm doing now with Coreelec. I also would like to know if there are known issues, if any, running one of these test LE builds.

Thank you so much in advanced for your great work on maintaining this wonderful piece of software.

Best regards,

Santiago

• Hello all. I have an old Beelink GT1 Ultimate (S912 with True 3GB DDR4) currently with CoreElec running from internal storage and I'm interested in switching to LibreElec because of the newer kernel since I also want to use that box as docker-pihole-unbound and torrent client. I don't want to brick my box and I would like some guidance for 1st know if my box is supported, 2nd if it is supported which version should I use and 3rd if it is possible to running it from internal storage as I'm doing now with Coreelec. I also would like to know if there are known issues, if any, running one of these test LE builds.

Thank you so much in advanced for your great work on maintaining this wonderful piece of software.

Best regards,

Santiago

I'm having a similar x92, the correct image should be the box version, that uses the vendor uboot loader of the box (Android and probably also CE?) I'm in the meantime running my box with the vim2 image of manjaro linux and can tell that linux on a current mainline kernel works quite well on the s912, so id guess also this image should work reasonably well.

P.S. running mine of a SD card, so no risk at all.