RAID support

• Hi,

I was really shocked, after i installed LE and found out, that LE does lack RAID support 8|

Now i am not able to acces my data on my big RAID5 array.

Please add at least the required kernel modules and mdadm for the possibility to configure/access RAID on the console.

• I was really shocked

So which part of the term "Just enough OS" convinced you that there would (or should) be RAID support in LibreELEC?

LibreELEC / Kodi is a CLIENT application, and we have no intention of picking up loads of baggage to support whatever RAID you prefer. Can you already hear the complaints when users start to lose their data because somehow LibreELEC f**'d up? We're certainly not going to pick up that challenge.

If you want RAID, build yourself a dedicated file server or get a ready-to-go NAS, and have Kodi/LibreELEC connect to it.

• Now i am not able to acces my data on my big RAID5 array.

Why not? If they are both on the same network, just set up a user account on your array and allow LibreELEC to access it using that username and password (it can be read-only if you want to be safe). I don't use RAID5, but I have a 28TB Unraid server sharing media to my network, and LE works with it just fine.

As for being shocked, I find that strange to say the least. It's a media player, and is very clearly not intended to be a protected mass storage system. Even then too many users expect too many features to be supported by the lowest price hardware they can find. Adding RAID support would only make that problem worse. I think you need to re-adjust your expectations.

• I'm having a HTPC tower with many disks in a RAID5 array, which is connected to the TV.

I prefer "All in One" instead of the requirement for many devices for one single Video Player

I don't expected that LE will offer server functionality, NAS or something other exotic.

Not evan a GUI for configuring RAID or disk partitioning, but at least access my data on my disk(s).

Distributing fdisk, rm and other such tools does include the same risk as including mdadm.

If i am entering commands on the console and break stuff, like deleting partitions or files, it is only my own fault and can't blame LE for this.

What does so differ mounting an ext4 filesystem on a normal disk partiiton from an RAID array?

• I'm having a HTPC tower with many disks in a RAID5 array, which is connected to the TV.

I prefer "All in One" instead of the requirement for many devices for one single Video Player

I can understand when people want to have everything in one 'box'. But, again, we are not going to add specific server stuff to LibreELEC.

Why not try Ubuntu 18.04+, Kodi runs fine on it. There you should be able to add the RAID support of your choosing.

If i am entering commands on the console and break stuff, like deleting partitions or files, it is only my own fault and can't blame LE for this.

We've heard enough sob stories over time where users trashed their Windows setup because they installed LibreELEC on their (only) HDD or SSD drive. The unfortunate trashing of an OS is one thing, but trashing someone's entire data collection (videos, music, photos) is next-level. RAID support not gonna happen.

• I already did run Kodi on Fedora for about 6 years, but had random problems which i wanted to give LE a try.

Also updates would be easier with LE and thought Kodi would be best optimized.

Since LE is linux based, i never ever thought it could lack RAID support.

Why should RAID be so risky?
    I mean most RAID arrays has some parity, so they can evan survive a disk outage.

What is so different mounting a filesystem on the partition from LE installation (.storage) and from an RAID array from your perspective....or saving/accesing files from there....

What has RAID to do with "server stuff" anyway?

• Refusing to support RAID (and disk encryption) is about keeping our distro images small and keeping what our all-volunteer team has to provide user support for simple. RAID is not "risky" but there are 20+ flavours of RAID and based on user requestts there isn't one thing we can add, so we end up being asked for many things and many tools and .. we have always tried to avoid "the death of a thousand cuts" where we keep adding little things that cumulatively lead to LE being yet another bloated general purpose Linux distro instead of the focussed and minimal Kodi client distro that we are (and always have been).

There are many distro choices that support Kodi so there's probably another with package management so you can add the RAID and other thingst you are interested in. You also have the option of taking our codebase and modifying it any way you like. That's the fab thing about open-source.